[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm reading The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich right now

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 97
Thread images: 11

I'm reading The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich right now and am enjoying it greatly. What are some more nice, easy to read and interesting history books?
>>
bumo
>>
The Gulag Archipelago.
>>
The Greatest Story Never Told: The Definitive Book Edition
>>
taschens "A Chronicle of the Crusades"
>>
Richard Evans if you want a more accurate survey of Nazi Germany.

I thought Ghost Wars, on US involvement in Afghanistan pre-9-11 was pretty great. Won the Pulitzer I think.

I thought A World Undone was a really great survey of WWI
>>
>>2857287
I have that book collecting dust right now. Can't find the motivation to start that more-than-1000-page monstrosity
>>
Wages of Destruction.
>>
>>2859275
It goes by fast, anon. It's not dry at all and uses nice anecdotes from the author who was present for many events (such as Hitler-Chamberlain meeting for Czechoslovakia, Anschluss stuff, etc.) and first hand accounts from other people (German generals, etc.)
>>2858275
>>2858963
>>2859123
>>2859137
>>2859295
Thanks, added some to my amazon wishlist and found A World Undone and Wages of Destruction on bookzz so they're on my kindle now.
>>
I just ordered this book, actually, though I hear it's widely criticized by scholars. Why is that?
>>
>>2859322
Because the central thesis is that the Holocaust was a unique event caused largely by a small group of anti-Semites rising to power, and Germans being uniquely slavish and unable to ignore authority figures and just went along with it. Being both retarded and unsupported, it gets panned.
>>
>>2859415
>, and Germans being uniquely slavish and unable to ignore authority figures
yeah this is the retarded part
>>
>>2859415
it might not be pc, but its right

can you name a single disaster in european history that wasn't caused by the slavish nature of germans?
>>
>>2859769
Chernobyl
>>
File: impeached.jpg (71KB, 318x463px) Image search: [Google]
impeached.jpg
71KB, 318x463px
>>2857287
Currently reading this, also why I firmly believe a president will never be impeached.
>>
>>2859322
Because scholars disagree
Look yo the three schools of thought for holoxaust though
>>
If you don't care so much about the holocaust is OP book still decent? Holocaust is like the most boring yet for some reason most talked about part of WWII, why?
>>
>>2860372
>yet for some reason most talked about part of WWII
its not
>>
>>2860483
Have you checked out netflix? Half of their WWII content is Holocaust related.
>>
>>2860532
this is your argument?
>>
>>2860538
One of them. They're also really common on the history channels on tv and the books take up half the shelf space in book stores' WWII sections.
>>
>>2859769
Muslim Conquest of Ibera
British crimes against humanity in war with Ireland
Italian cooking
>>
>>2857287
Bought it a year ago, started reading it but stopped after about a week. Don't know why. Might start reading it again thanks to this thread.
>>
>>2857287

I'm also reading it right now. Taking lots of notes about the oratory & political stratagem of Hitler and the NSDAP. Also very excited to read about the diplomatic & military maneuvering of the Nazis later on in the book. Great fuckin book so far if this kind of shit intrigues you
>>
>I popped a boner when I reached the part of human experimentation, especially the freezing experiments.
>>
>>2862509
Weirdo
>>
>>2860876
>Irish dying by the million
>Disaster
Nah.
>>
Some of my favorites:
Roots of the Western Tradition
Empires of the Sea
Before the Deluge
Enemy at the Gates
The Story of Philosophy
A History of the World in Six Glasses
Glittering Images
Plutarchs Lives
>>
>>2860876
>italian cooking
I can tolerate /his/ being full of reddit commies but this is over the line
>>
>>2860339
Trump could easily get impeached simply by not getting anything done. Republicans can get fed up with him and put in Mike Pence instead.
>>
>>2857287
>>2859275
I will say that Shirer is a great writer and makes all the people and events exciting and interesting.

However, read Shirer with a grain of salt. He hated Hitler the whole time and does not write im partial at all. He cherry picks and sometimes flat out lies and reports obvious lies as truth. For example Hitler's reply to roosevelt speech he lies about Hitler 'omitting poland'. If you go listen on youtube you will Shirer is just wrong and probablly lied because it would have been so easy to get a transcript and check. Another example is the Reichstag fire. Shirer behaves just like a modern journalist thinking 'Russia hacked the election' without any proof. He just doesnt like Hitler and assumes he did it.

That said I enjoyed rise and fall alot. Its a good starter book if you aren't interested in learning who Hitler was or what his world view was. It just cherry picks to make Hitler out to be a comic book bad guy.

John Toland's biography is infinitely better and more fair. You'll get a fair understanding of Hitler the man. Shirer literally thinks Germans are huns and suggests in the afterword that they should be genocided which is actually top tier /his/ banter but not appropriate in a self respecting historian.

I will be reading his Decline of hte Third republic when I find a copy though. He writes really well, just not fair. I agree that hte 1000 paiges flew by.

Its also interesting how little detail shirer has on the holocaust. Just hte einstatzgruppens and some lampshade and experimental mistreatment of prisoners.
>>
>>2863441
>>2863441
No. Impeachement is not allowed to be used due to misadministration or poor performacne. "the president doesnt serve at the pleasure of the congress'. Its for treason or high crimes not unpopularity. Gas yourself reddit moron.
>>
>>2863687
Amendment 25, section 4

>Whenever the Vice President and a majority of either the principal officers of the executive departments or of such other body as Congress may by law provide, transmit to the President pro tempore of the Senate and the Speaker of the House of Representatives their written declaration that the President is unable to discharge the powers and duties of his office, the Vice President shall immediately assume the powers and duties of the office as Acting President.

Thereafter, when the President transmits to the President pro tempore of the Senate and the Speaker of the House of Representatives his written declaration taht no inability exists, he shall resume the powers and duties of his office unless the Vice President and a majority of either the principal officers of the executive department or of such other body as Congress may by law provide, transmit within four days to the President pro tempore of the Senate and the Speaker of the House of Representative thier written declaration that the President is unable to discharge the powers and duties of his office. Thereupon Congress shall decide the issue, assembling within 48 hours for that purpose if not in session. If the Congress, within 21 days after the receipt of the latter written declaration, or if the Congress is not in session, within 21 days after the Congress is required to assemble, determines by 2/3 vote of both Houses that the President is unable to discharge the powers and duties of his office, the Vice President shall continue to discharge the same as Acting President; otherwise, the President shall resume the powers and duties of his office.
>>
Conquistador by Buddy Levy. It's written more like a novel, chronicling Cortes' landing in Mexico and his conquest of the Triple Alliance. It easy to read and it keeps you in suspense as to whether Cortes succeeds in conquering Mexico (protip, he does).
>>
I'm highly interested in 19th century Western European history. It's fascinating seeing all these old-fashioned empires slowly encountering technology that it beyond what their culture is based on.

What's the best book focusing on this time? I'm particularly interested in the personalities of the major figures (sorry for showing my 'Great Man Theory' bias) and of the artistic movements of the time too.
>>
>>2860548
Tearjerking sells well
>>
>>2864292
I have the perfect book for you: Birth of the Modern by Paul Johnson.
>>
>>2857287
>What are some more nice, easy to read and interesting history books?- 38 posts and 2 image replies shown.
Caesar by Adrian Goldsworthy is great
>>2864292
If you're interested in Britain then Churchill's History of the English Speaking Peoples' volume 4(?) is good
>>
>>2863798
You're mixing up impeachment (for crimes and treason) with removal due to inability ot do hsi duties (because of a physical or mental illness). Neither of these may be used for punishing a president's 'poor performance' (and who the hell would be the judge of that?). In short, you have the reading comprehension of a 12 year old and should never post again.
>>
File: 9780923891732_l.jpg (31KB, 266x400px) Image search: [Google]
9780923891732_l.jpg
31KB, 266x400px
>>2857287
This is a fine, accurate, first-hand, free and easy read:

http://gen.lib.rus.ec/book/index.php?md5=6F91A3720072559944AA2FEE1E43862E
>>
Does anyone have a link to an epub of >>2869108

I can only find PDFs except for the epub on archive but that has headers and footers mixed in with the normal content.
>>
somewhere along the lines one of my girlfriends disposed of my copy before I was able to read any of it.
>>
>>2860331
well there is that., kek
>>
Whats like the modern equivalent of Machiavelli's The Prince?

Something that discusses political pragmatism/power/realpolitik?
>>
>>2870558
Why did she do that?
>>
>>2870570
Dictator's Handbook?

Haven't read it but that sounds like something in that direction
>>
>>2871559
Women cant grasp the concept of reading something without fully agreeing with the book, the subject matter and the characters
Only a nazi could possibly want to read a history of the third reich Anon don't you know Hitler was a bad guy??

It's why you will often hear women criticize a book by pointing out that they didn't personally like and agree with all the actions of any character
>there is no one here that i would get a cup of coffee with 1/5!
>>
>>2871570
Oh shit, I read that book when I was like 12.

I wish I remembered it.
>>
If a work with zero new scholarship is fine - like Evans trio - then Burleigh's " 'New' history " is much better choice. The tone of Evans books is just fugly, he loses no page trying to tell the reader that 'you should feel bad, Nazis were epithome of evil and you are to blame'.

On this subject, obviously the many biographies of Hitler. I would recommend starting with Toland's. In my opinion - although not written by academic historian - it's still the best and very easy read. After that Maser Werner's and Kershaw's two part biography.

And obviously one should read about the event that caused all the subsequent bloodpath of the 20th century, Russian Revolution (and coup).
Start with Chamberlin's 'Russian revolution', two parts and move onto Pipes' 'Russian revolution' and 'Russia under the Bolshevik regime'.

If you can read Italian, then read Renzo De Felice's massive Mussolini biography/history of Fascism. But that is definitely not easy read, even if you're native speaker.
>>
>>2857287
Origin of the Second World War. If you like Shirer, you'll enjoy Taylor
>>
What do you lads think about David Irving's books?
Is he crazy in the cocunut?

I'm not /pol/ I'm just wondering if he is maybe worth reading for some sort of "different perspective" or whatever
I don't even know how much he gets into the controversal stuff and how much he's just a Wheraboo, did he mabye write and enjoyable book that just coveniently forgets to mention the holoaust and whatnot?
>>
>>2871587
I hope you broke up with her.
>>
>>2871721
The very same Evans mentioned in the thread says Irving has systematically falsified archival sources, giving too high body count for Dresden among other things. When he released his work on V2, it was favourably received, but that was long before he wrote his revisionistic (read: apolegic) biography of Hitler ('Hitler's war').

Not crazy, but he lies just like hundreds of commie apologists about his hero.
>>
>>2871958
Thanks Anon!

I don't think I like that Evans fellow but falsifying anything is a total no-go

Apparently Hitler's War is banned or no longer being printed anyways and his other books seem to have some issues with credibility too (according to wikipedia) so skipping over him seems like the smart choice here
>>
Cover looks boring but it's a great read. There's a WWII one too.
>>
File: his approved lit.jpg (2MB, 1955x3000px) Image search: [Google]
his approved lit.jpg
2MB, 1955x3000px
>>2857287
these are books that I've read or I have yet to read that were recommended by /his/ and so far, it's been good. Some, like Peter Wilson's The Thirty Years War, McPherson's Battle Cry of Freedom, and Clark's The Sleepwalkers are very informative but very dry in areas, so it is hard to finish quickly. Others like Gaddis' The Cold War, and Levy's Conquistador are very straightforward and are actually hard to put down and read fast.

I would definitely like to add more to this collection, preferably contemporary books written this past decade. I have an interest in The English Civil War, Cromwell, Mexican history after the conquest of the Aztecs to the French invasion, books on the American presidents during the Reconstruction to Teddy Roosevelt period, any other interesting topic that doesn't go before the year 1000.
>>
>>2872953
>The Cold War: A New History
This book is awesome. And it's so easy to read. It's the first book on history that like captivated me. It was so good and interesting that I had no trouble at all staying focused. It was much harder for me to quit reading this book when I had to.
>>
File: 234242342342.png (455KB, 593x783px) Image search: [Google]
234242342342.png
455KB, 593x783px
Has anyone read this book before?

>https://www.amazon.ca/Heinrich-Himmler-Peter-Longerich/dp/0199651744
>Heinrich Himmler Paperback by Peter Longerich
>1072 pages

Some people say it drags on about redundant things, but I am very curious to read a book about Himmler. I also plan on checking out the Irving book after the Lonerich book (If I do indeed end up picking it up). Does anyone have any recommendations?
>>
File: Therealofficalreadinglistofhis.png (2MB, 996x1190px) Image search: [Google]
Therealofficalreadinglistofhis.png
2MB, 996x1190px
>>
>>2872953
>Europe's Tragedy
Literally just finished reading this. Fantastic book.
>>
>>2872953
I am beyond a doubt shocked Clark's Iron Kingdom made it, fantastic book but I'm surprised frogboot licking /his/ put it up there.
>>
>>2873216
Yeah, right? Conquistador was also similar in that it was an easy and fun read.

>>2873567
It took me forever to finish it. The first part on the way the HRE works was interesting but very dull. It picks up after all of the background info.

>>2873585
It's like 4chins in general, there are always gems hidden amongst the shit. Still, this is my list that I got recommended by /his/, so it might no be fully approved by other posters.
>>
File: African American Literature.jpg (869KB, 585x2300px) Image search: [Google]
African American Literature.jpg
869KB, 585x2300px
Is there a good book on the history of Liberia?
>>
>>2875712
I'm interested in this as welll
It really was a neat idea it's a shame it got into the condition it is in today
>>
File: Titus.png (173KB, 500x758px) Image search: [Google]
Titus.png
173KB, 500x758px
>>2860876
>Italian cooking
Pasta is god's gift to man you faggot
>>
King Leopold's Ghost by Adam Hochschild and The Last Crusade: The Epic Voyages of Vasco da Gama by Nigel Cliff.
>>
>>2876226
(((Hochschild)))
>>
>>2859759
Jews (and Nigels) get really mad when you imply that sonderweg is bullshit.
>>
>>2872953
Sleepwalkers can be dry I suppose but I think the situation itself makes it interesting no matter what. Diplomatic political wrangling is surprisingly engaging. I'm re-reading Pursuit of Glory and while there's a few somewhat boring areas (I really just cannot find anything interesting about agriculture) Blanning's a good writer in that he can certainly spin a phrase well. I do like that the back, rather than footnotes, has a large list of recommended reading for the various topics covered which also makes it a good springboard for someone looking to learn more about that era. Wish more history books did that.
>>
>>2873262
nice
>>
>>2873262
holy fuck i hate those gavin menzies books

so retarded, i always see them overflowing the bargain racks and bins at my local bookstores. can't believe that shit is so popular
>>
>>2873262
Is this abook list made by /lit/ to mock us?
>>
>>2876899
>can't into self deprecating humor

What are you, autistic? (rhetorical question)
>>
File: sadfrog angry.png (487KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
sadfrog angry.png
487KB, 900x900px
>tfw can't find a decent non-pdf of Gulag Archipelago

REEEEE
>>
>>2857287
Arabs, A History
>>
>>2878001
how about you go to your local library and loan it, you fuck
>>
>>2878196
I want to read it on my e-reader you rude girl
>>
>>2875712
who gives a fuck about liberia
jesus
you better be a black american or this is a waste of your time
>>
Are there any other books like The Horse, the Wheel, and Language? PIE is a pretty fascinating topic
>>
>>2879972
Fuck off, you dumb cunt.
>>
>>2880364
>Wastes time learning about Liberia
>calls others dumb
hmm...
>>
>>2880372
>Wastes time learning

Oxymoron.
>>
>>2880376
You could have learned about a relevant country during the time wasted reading about liberia
>>
>>2871559
probably because it had a swastika on it and all of my exes are varying levels of SJW.
>>
>>2872953
>Europe's Tragedy
It's a weird one, its surprisingly in-depth but at times features sweeping generalisations without any evidence.
>>
Any good biographies guys? I'm reading a nice Theodore Roosevelt one by Nathan Miller.
>>
>>2857287

Three Empires on the Nile: a Victorian Jihad

Amazingly well written, fun and easy, and available on audiobook. About the Mahdist war and Egyptian colonization of the Nile.
>>
>>2881952 Anyone?
>>
>>2882714
I'm reading Marcus Aerelius biography by Frank Lynn and really enjoying it. It's also the first book on Roman history I've ever read and it establishes a lot of context on roman culture so it serves perfectly for any newcomer to the period.
>>
>>2882714
you need to be more specific
>>
>>2857287
Ordinairy Men
The Ghost of King Leopold
>>
>>2859415
All societies have people who blindly obey authority figures though. It doesn't sound contraversial at all
>>
>>2884091
No, you're missing the point. It's not that every society has people who blindly obey authority. It's that Germans (and only Germans) ALL blindly obey authority.
>>
>>2883032
Thanks, that sounds interesting.

>>2883228
Any interesting and important person would be nice.
>>
>>2887072
Stop bumping this you nigger.
>>
>>2887152
rude
>>
>>2860876
>Italian cooking
This is fucking blasphemy.
Thread posts: 97
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.