[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I need some advice. I am planning to do my PhD in Hispanic Studies

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

File: Foto-1-2.jpg (54KB, 1008x566px) Image search: [Google]
Foto-1-2.jpg
54KB, 1008x566px
I need some advice. I am planning to do my PhD in Hispanic Studies in the US, being California my desired destination. However, I am still unsure about which University should I aim to. Apart from a proper reputation, I am looking forward being part of a, say, countercultural atmosphere. I assume we no longer live in the 60s, but still maybe there is a campus more likely to represent that spirit. Any help?
>>
>>2854421
U.C. Berkley.
>>
>>2854425
Sure thing, but it maybe too hard to get in there. Any other example?
>>
>>2854421
What a joke
>>
>>2854421
Maybe study something beneficial to society.
>>
File: saint jerome in his study.jpg (2MB, 3160x2254px) Image search: [Google]
saint jerome in his study.jpg
2MB, 3160x2254px
>>2854450
SF State (my alma mater), possibly UCSF, UCLA, Riverside, Irvine, etc. It isn't hard to find a school in California that offers doctorates in Hispanic Studies or that has a countercultural atmosphere.

More importantly, why Hispanic Studies? What kind of a career will you get from that? Will you be taught things that you cannot learn from reading a few books or will it be indoctrination by professors themselves indoctrinated? You are traveling out of state so your fees will be extremely expensive; what do you plan to get out of such a field of study?

Also by countercultural atmosphere I assume you mean leftist, peace and love, hippie and pot sort of thing, where everyone looks to stick it to the man and be free spirits. You do realize that is the norm in California, not counter, right? That the ideals of the left have taken root in California and are felt to a degree even by soccer moms in the suburbs? Students head to those areas for that experience of fighting against the system but in fact are the system. Look at famous counterculture areas. Haight St., Telegraph, Santa Cruz - they are all commercialized to the highest degree. All those hippies who wanted to fight the power? The ones that didn't burn out grew up and became the power.

I was in a similar position to yours a long time ago. I grew up in the Bay Area and lived in SF for many years. What you are looking for is not there. You should really ask yourself if what you are seeking is real, and if you really want it. Before you embark on such a journey do some self-introspection and think about what you truly want out of life, and not in the short term but 5, 10, 40 years down the road. Make long term plans and goals that will benefit you, don't chase pipe dreams that you think will give you some mystical experience.
>>
Counterculture is now the status quo of Western Academia
>>
>>2854421
M E G A B A I T
>>
>>2854512
Pretty much this, if you want to be really subversive, be conservative.
>>
>>2854421
>Hispanic Studies
You should go to Tulane or University of Texas instead as they are the premier schools for that.
>>
>>2854421
This is the ripest of bait
>>
>>2854421
you're not going to find any schools with great reputations that are full of soixante huitieme counterculture but since you want to get a PhD in Chicano studies I'm sure the watered down counter culture of contemporary US academia will suit you just fine.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.