[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Are the days of generals and higher officers leading their men

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 4

File: namnlös.png (937KB, 1364x568px) Image search: [Google]
namnlös.png
937KB, 1364x568px
Are the days of generals and higher officers leading their men on the battlefield completely gone, /his/?
>>
Well, it's hard to envision what a large scale conventional war would look like today, and what circumstances could trigger one, but I imagine it would not be too different from the wars of the twentieth century. The US doctrine of dropping multi million dollar missiles on anything that moves would not be viable against an opponent with comparable resources.
>>
>ywn ride in front your advancing troop, inspiring them with your gesture of supreme devotion to the cause by putting yourself at greater risk than them

feelsbadman

Also, Mad Dog Mattis supposedly served as a tank gunner for a day during the invasion of Iraq if that counts.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (154KB, 1280x720px)
maxresdefault.jpg
154KB, 1280x720px
>>2850739
the days of conventional war is over
The days of proxy wars are among us
>>
>>2850723
Yes because wars in the modern world are huge, spread over a wide area, and advances in communications & monitoring technology means that not only is a general present in the battlefield dangerous for a general: it is also tremendously impractical.

In the battlefields of today the highest officer would be a colonel.
>>
>>2851076
Except the proxies could fight conventionally.

It's not an asymmetric war happening in Syria right now. All the combatants are out in the open.
>>
>>2850739
What about a war between 2nd rate powers without U.S. involvement like china and russia or iran and isreal or pakistan and india?
>>
>>2851131
They still don't.

China and Russia especially.
>>
>>2851066
>tfw you will never charge the enemy with your commander next to you, saber and pistol in hand
It was truly better back then
>>
File: distributed lethality.jpg (111KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
distributed lethality.jpg
111KB, 960x720px
>>2850739
>The US doctrine of dropping multi million dollar missiles on anything that moves would not be viable against an opponent with comparable resources.
Hold my beer
>>
>>2850723
Generals have never lead the troops from the front, for obvious reasons. Nowadays they aren't even on the same place as the battle.

Captains or whatever the name of the individual unit commanders is do still lead their troops tho, like they've always have.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.