[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why does nearly every culture have a great flood myth? Is it

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

File: ice age sea level.jpg (425KB, 2160x1080px) Image search: [Google]
ice age sea level.jpg
425KB, 2160x1080px
Why does nearly every culture have a great flood myth? Is it because of the melting glaciers from the ice age, or something else? Is it possible some "Atlantis" type civilization existed, but was wiped out by the rise in sea levels considering most human settlements are near the coast.
>>
>>284305
There are plenty of drowned cities
>>
Because flooding happens in a lot ofplaces, dip shit.
>>
>>284305
Because rivers and floods happen all the fucking time.
>>
>>284305
When your world stretches to the horizon and a flood covers everything.it seems like the end of the world.

Plus best shit is usually in river valleys with flood plains
>>
>>284305
Because they usually lived next to great rivers. Y'know, agriculture n' shit. And sometimes the great river overflows. And that drowns a lot of people and destroys many cities. The great flood myth would just be taking something they were deathly afraid of and turning it into punishment if they disobeyed the gods. Kind of like a boogeyman.
>>
>Why does nearly every culture have a great flood myth?
Isn't it only the ones derived from middle eastern religions?
>>
The first and most successful civilizations were invariably made in river valleys. River valleys flood a lot. So naturally these civilizations wrote about flooding, and it made their way into their religions too.

By the way, it's not really every major civilization either. Can't really think of a specific Egyptian flood myth but I could be wrong, though iirc Hymn to the Nile mentions flooding as a positive thing. Not sure if the Indus Valley civs or the Yangtze Valley ones had em either.
>>
>>284305
>tfw no dogger bank
>>
collective unconsciousness
>>
>Why does nearly every culture have a great flood myth?
Literally just Mesopotamians and a couple of cultures that adopted it from Mesopotamians.

>Atlantis
>>>/x/
>>
>>284357
Most river zoned civilizations have some great flood story.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_flood_myths

Its only special in middle east religion because they based their religion around it.
>>
>>284357
This desu

Mesoamerican tradition has a flood if I remember well, but it's just one of the several great disasters that destroyed the previous worlds.
>>
File: euxine-lake-great-flood.jpg (98KB, 583x438px) Image search: [Google]
euxine-lake-great-flood.jpg
98KB, 583x438px
>>284305
>melting glaciers from the ice age

> glaciers
> ice sheets

Pick one, and yes it is from the retreat of the Ice Age.

See pic related
>>
I'd never thought about it that way.

But, just because every culture has a myth about something doesn't mean it's based in reality
Most cultures have some sort of dragon myth, too
>>
>>284305
>Why does nearly every culture have a great flood myth
They don't?
>>
>>284590
Dinosaurs.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.