[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

If the August Coup was successful and Hardliners took back control

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

File: Russian-Coup-Aug-1991.jpg (134KB, 370x277px) Image search: [Google]
Russian-Coup-Aug-1991.jpg
134KB, 370x277px
If the August Coup was successful and Hardliners took back control of the Soviet Union, what do you think would have happened?

I predict

>reversal of Glasnost and Perestroika
>Baltic States clamped down on hard
>reencroachment between USSR and China
>possible uprising crushed
>perhaps drift to computerization of the planned economy?
>>
>>284203
Overall I think that the wave of 90's liberal naive optimism wouldn't have happened.

"The end of history" crap wouldn't become popular.

Iraq wins the gulf war and keeps Kuwait probably, it doesn't clear UN security council authorization and the Soviets would have buddied up with the Iraqis.
>>
>>284203
>If the August Coup was successful and Hardliners took back control of the Soviet Union, what do you think would have happened?

>Ukraine runs away even faster
>Belarus runs away even faster
>Caucasus republics run away even faster
>Russia is left wallowing in shit with Central Asia

One important fact that people always forget about is that the coup itself was the main reason for local elites to declare independence proper. Before that USSR could have been restructured to some kind of "Union of Sovereign States" or whatever, after that, nuh uh.
>>
>>284281
But why would they let them run away?

Ukraine was actually conflicted, it could have been held easily.

Belarus is just Russia, that isn't a problem to hold. Look at it now, it wishes it existed in the soviet Union.

Armenia would have stayed in the USSR, and the Azerbaijanis and Chechens would have started an insurgency.
>>
>>284286
>Ukraine was actually conflicted, it could have been held easily.
It was conflicted before the coup, yes, but after that even party elites thought it was time to jump ship. How come even the infamous communist majority of so-called Group 239 in the Parliament voted for independence?

Why do you think Ukraine started to rebuild the chain of command for the military stationed within the country to be subordinate to Kyiv? It happened almost aggressively, I might add.

People didn't want to have anything in common with KGB shenanigans anymore, is all.
>>
>>284281
If they tried those motherfuckers were getting TANKED.
>>
>>284331

Perhaps, or you could have had a Yugoslavia-style situation where local army units and commanders follow their national agendas.
>>
File: 1388512995888s.jpg (7KB, 249x243px) Image search: [Google]
1388512995888s.jpg
7KB, 249x243px
>the space race persists
>>
>>284331
Not when regional military is waving goodbye to Moscow.

This being said, however, coup was doomed from the start:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjFySKAAiDU

Protip: look at the hands.
>>
>>284331
Not really. The only country where Russians actually intervened militarily was Chechnia and they got royally BTFO there. Now imagine Russia waging such a war against 6+ countries, they wouldn't be able to do shit. The entire country was in the middle of an utter economic and social collapse and having hardliners leading it wouldn't change a thing, unless they decided to nuke everyone which really benefits nobody.
>>
>>284370
>tfw r/space memers like you don't care about WW3 happening as long as pretty satellites and rovers fly in space
>>
NATO in Yugoslavia would sure as fuck not happen
>>
>>284417
How can WW3 reach me if i live in space?
>>
>>284410
What about Lithuania?
>>
>>284410
Forgot to add, Chechnia was pretty much a Goatfuckistan in the middle of nowhere so nobody aside from Saudi Arabia really gave two shits.

But if Ukraine, Baltics and whoever were met with armed resistance you could bet the west would intervene on their behalf at least indirectly, as those places were strategically important.
>>
You are aware majority of Russians were against communist party?
Where would that regime draw support from?
It's popular to pin all blame for communism on Russians (and convenient), but Russians are the ones who destroyed communism.
Rest of them wouldn't be able to do shit if Russians backed communist party.
>>
>>284571
>But if Ukraine, Baltics and whoever were met with armed resistance you could bet the west would intervene on their behalf at least indirectly, as those places were strategically important.

>>284496
>>
>>284615
What about Lithuania? It seceded and the Soviet didn't do shit even though they threatened.
>>
File: 1444699133863.jpg (140KB, 960x702px) Image search: [Google]
1444699133863.jpg
140KB, 960x702px
>>284203
It'd have ended up with one glorious fucking curbstomping as the coup turns to military force to try to establish control once more of the Ukraine, Belarus and Baltic states.

>NATO and former Warsaw Pact nations working together to kill the Soviet Bear ending with an assault on Moscow that ruins any chance of a Russian revival of Imperial ambitions

>mfw
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.