[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I've been dabbling in Latin lately and am itching to hear

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

File: constantine.jpg (56KB, 550x366px) Image search: [Google]
constantine.jpg
56KB, 550x366px
I've been dabbling in Latin lately and am itching to hear some authentic spoken examples. Is there anything (podcast, youtube, film, whatever) I can listen to where they speak with fluency in real Latin? By real I mean not ecclesiastic pronunciation.
>>
Oh also I should specify I'm not looking for learning materials, I'm interested rather in people actually using the language in natural conversation. Though beggars can't be choosers so I'll appreciate any response.
>>
This movie:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRTh3qqZLkQ&

It's more or less Classical pronunciation, but they do have a heavy Polish accent since it's a Polish production.
>>
>>2840116

Thanks friend, this looks fun
>>
Civilization V Caesar screen has a few lines spoken. They didn't always choose an authentic language in the game, e.g. Arabic for Ancient Egypt, but I think they hired professionals for all of them.
>>
>>2840116

the pronounciation is quite good, especially of the vowels (in comparison to native english speakers)

and they sound like people speaking a real language and not like faggots reciting poetry
>>
How has latin not survived as a language?
surely there were books to teach priests how to recite? or is the vatican archive just holding them for safe keepings?
>>
Thing is mate there are non it's all larding from here on out
>>
>>2840116
Ok, this looks /his/ as fuck. Thanks, based anon.
>>
>>2840641
Perhaps it became ecclesiastical Latin naturally as if it was a living language.
>>
>>2840641
I kinda wish I had done Latin, I chose German instead
>>
>>2840641

it survived and was broadly spoken by all educated people until the 1700s when the educated language became French.

Spinoza wrote in Latin, iirc Newton too.
And IIRC the first treaty between Russia and China was made in Latin, the Chinese used a Jesuit priest.
So, it was well alive as an international language until the XVIII century.

I am not a fan of the classical pronounciation because if no romance language nowadays pronounces V as W-U, there must be good reasons for that.
And also because Romans arent the only reason to learn latin, great works were produced in latin in the middle ages, renaissance and modern age. Probably the last great work in Latin were Swedenborgs heresies.
>>
as far as i can tell, only two things are off about their pronunciation!

they pronounce C as TS before I and E, which is a later development and they pronounce V and QV as english V when they should really be pronounced like english W and QU.

this is much better than mel gibson's passion of christ, which uses medieval church pronunciation and also is inaccurate in having romans in palestine speak latin in the first place instead of greek.
>>
many videos of completely fluent speakers, but with church latin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6G6cKYCGrI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_OyhWKTmJBo
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.