[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

If Hitler had decided not to go after Stalingrad and split his

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

File: 5174.jpg (14KB, 393x550px) Image search: [Google]
5174.jpg
14KB, 393x550px
If Hitler had decided not to go after Stalingrad and split his forces what would have happened? Would they have maybe had a better chance and maybe even had succeeded in conquering the Soviet union.
>>
>>2840025
Forgot to say. Why at the point of when Hitler went against his generals and didn't retreat from Stalingrad why didn't they just try and kill him. They could have, he pissed off a lot of them
>>
Why don't you look it up on google instead of shitting up the board
>>
>>2840025
I can't even figure out what you're trying to ask.Are you asking about the strategic wisdom of operating down south in the first place? The operational wisdom of splitting up to try to hit both Stalingrad and the Caucasus simultaneously? The retreat when the operation failed to meet objectives? Specify your question or questions.
>>
He would have encircled Stalingrad allowing it to be contained with a minimum of troops while the rest of Heeresgruppe Süd moved to occupy the caucasus oil reserves, secure supply lines like the Volga and made the final push to threaten the Trans-Siberian Railway which would have caused the whole rotten structure of the Soviet Union to come crashing down.
>>
>>2840074
Huh ok
>>
>>2840025
His biggest mistake was trying to capture Stalingrad.
City had minimal strategic value and it was more of a dick measuring contest between Hitler and Stalin cause this city managed to have Stalin's name on it.
>>
>>2840093
That's what I'm saying. If he had not split his troops would the southern invasion have succeeded?
>>
>>2840093
You know, other than securing his flank against Army Group Don, which came crashing through eventually anyway. But sure, just ignoring them while everything in AGS goes diving into the Caucasus will work great.
>>
>>2840115
You don't have to take it, just encircle it like they did with Leningrad. Soviet winter offensive would fail if the flanks were held by competent 6th Army forces instead of shit tier Hungarians and Italians.
>>
>>2840085
You heard me.
>>
>>2840131
>You don't have to take it, just encircle it like they did with Leningrad.
That's retarded on two levels. One you do kind of need to take it, since you're planning on using it as a linchpin for your own defensive setup, not parry attacks from the city, but rather parry attacks from about 200 kilometers in either direction from the city. Two, encircling the city would take an obscene amount of men, as it would require attacking across the Volga on probably two seperate points while investing the city, fighting through whatever assets the Soviets have on the far side, and completing your circumvellation. Even then, your forces on the far side of the city are going to be very vulnerable to counterattack, so I'm not sure what that gets you.

>Soviet winter offensive would fail if the flanks were held by competent 6th Army forces instead of shit tier Hungarians and Italians.
And the reason they were held by Hungarians and Romanians was that every division of the 6th was already severely understrength just getting to the city, and your "plan" involves spreading them out still further, which means you have more ground you need to cover and just as few people to do it with.
>>
File: 1481685716162.png (187KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
1481685716162.png
187KB, 640x360px
>>2840025
>>
>>2840049
>shitting up the board
>>2840176
>>
>>2840025
Conquering Moscow =/= Conquering USSR
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.