[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>Despite the general perception that many Spanish galleons

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: helper pepe.jpg (68KB, 699x485px) Image search: [Google]
helper pepe.jpg
68KB, 699x485px
>Despite the general perception that many Spanish galleons were captured by foreign privateers, few fleets were actually lost to enemies in the course of the flota's two and a half centuries of operation. Only Piet Hein managed to capture the fleet in 1628 and bring its cargo to the Dutch Republic.[19] In 1656 and 1657 Robert Blake also attacked the fleet in Cadiz and Tenerife, but the Spanish officers saved most of the silver and the English admiral managed to capture only a single galleon.[20] >The 1702 West Indies fleet was destroyed in the Battle of Vigo Bay during the War of the Spanish Succession, when the fleet was surprised at port unloading its goods, but the Spanish sailors had already unloaded most of its cargo.[21] None of these attacks took place in open seas. In the case of the Manila galleons, only four were ever captured by British warships in nearly three centuries: the Santa Anna by Thomas Cavendish in 1589, the Encarnación in 1709 by Woodes Rogers, the Covadonga by George Anson in 1743, and the Santísima Trinidad in 1762. Two other British attempts were foiled by the Rosario in 1704 and the Begonia in 1710.[22] These losses and those due to hurricanes were important economic blows to trade when they occurred. The fleets, however, must be counted as among the most successful naval operations in history.[23][24] Moreover, from a commercial point of view, some key components of today's world economic system were made possible by the success of the Spanish West and East Indies fleets.[25]
Where did the meme that England/Britain became wealthy stealing Spanish silver?
>>
>>2827593
Literally never heard that meme before

Only meme I've heard is that the eternal Anglo got rich by forcing those good boi chinaman into smoking opium against their will
>>
>>2827593
You copied a test from Wikipedia, and are asking us to disprove it?
>>
>>2827598
>You copied a test from Wikipedia, and are asking us to disprove it?
I am asking why some people consider that people like Drake to have made England rich and relevant again through privateering while in reality it seems that he was extremelly unsuccessful
>>
>>2827617
People like Drake made the Spanish poor, by forcing them to use more ships, make ships to replace lost ones, sinking treasure, forcing them to take alternative routes, etc.

So they made the British relatively rich, by making the Spanish poorer by requiring them to spend more.
>>
>>2827620
But the convoy fleets remained the same from 1550 to 1790 in which the convoy system was replaced.And from what I have read the Spaniards were more succesful at priveteering than the English in the Caribean.I think that Drake became the national hero that England needed through propaganda not through his own merits
>>
>>2827633
The convoy system was introduces specifically to fight privateers.
It is exactly a tremendous expense that was required to fight pirates, and ultimately made Spain poorer than it could've been.
>>
>>2827639
>The convoy system was introduces specifically to fight privateers.
It was introduced when French privateers attacked La Havana.Drake had little to do with it
>>
>>2827643
Of course he didn't have to do with it, he wasn't even born back then.
But he had to do with the convoy system having to be maintained, reinforced, expanded, etc.

He wasn't the first pirate, but he was a pirate, a particularly well armed and supplied one, and his existence did require the Spanish to keep paying for the expensive bodyguard missions on their treasure fleet.
>>
>>2827652
So Drake's greatest achievement was existing?
>>
>>2827666
Are you implying he was a bad pirate, and not good at his purpose? Surely he didn't just exist, he excelled at his existence.
>>
>>2827686
>Are you implying he was a bad pirate
He didn't do a good job.He didn't capture any valueable ship and he struggled to crack navigation through the pacific. His english armada was a total failure as well
>>
>>2827704
Bringing guerrilla warfare to the sea was a big accomplishment.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.