[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I've seen this floating around online of how the US has

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

File: US-war-graph.jpg (24KB, 596x540px) Image search: [Google]
US-war-graph.jpg
24KB, 596x540px
I've seen this floating around online of how the US has been at war for almost all of the years it has existed and seen people draw from this conclusions about the USA. However, I've never seen how this compares to other nations. Do you guys know the percentage of years other nations have been at war throughout their history? I'd like to know if the USA is an unusual case when it comes to this or pretty typical of the average country.

Also, feel free to squabble about the legitimacy of this chart if you like.
>>
>>2813087
define "war"

what are the "peacetime years"? was probably purging indians or muslims at the time.
>>
>>2813092
The peacetime years in this chart were 1796, 1797, 1807, 1808, 1809, 1826, 1828, 1829, 1830, 1897, 1935, 1936, 1937, 1938, 1939, 1940, 1976, 1977, 1978, 1977, and 2000.

I'm not sure how the source defined war but here is the source I'm talking about: http://www.washingtonsblog.com/2015/02/america-war-93-time-222-239-years-since-1776.html
>>
>>2813110
oh I guess that one links to the real source.
>>
>>2813087
Don't have an exact source but pretty sure that most countries would have something similar, especially with the loosely definition of war I suspect they used.
Just from my head, Russia, Britain, any Arab country, France, Israel, India, Pakistan, China, Korea all would have similar graphics.
One of those ''really makes you think'' for pseudo intellectuals graphics.
>>
>>2813258
How many years of war has Germany had since 1950?
>>
File: 1488478411035.jpg (278KB, 2048x1380px) Image search: [Google]
1488478411035.jpg
278KB, 2048x1380px
>>2813087
>Do you guys know the percentage of years other nations have been at war throughout their history?

A lot;
And that usually involved real wars, not that endless guerilla shit and peacekeeping operations that count for the US war time.

>>2813872
I think over a decade: Kosovo plus Afghanistan plus Mali right now.
>>
>>2813906
Why is there no reference to Switzerland and the Napoleonic wars?
>>
>>2813087
>I've seen this floating around online of how the US has been at war for almost all of the years it has existed and seen people draw from this conclusions about the USA.
Here is an easy way to refute this.
The rank of 5 star general was created in 1944.
The rank of a 5 star general is only available during war time, and appointed by the Potus himself. The united states has only ever appointed five 5 star generals and they were all appointed during actual wars.

I would only count the years a 5 star general was appointed after 1944 as actual war time. The "war on drugs" and other fake wars don't count.
>>
>>2813087
Most countries don't spend the majority of their existence at war, but then neither does the US. Your pic includes all indian conflicts, which honestly it's rather hard to see as actual wars rather than piddly provincial episodes of violence.
>>
>>2813872
What he said >>2813906. Also, why cherry-picking the last 50 years of one of the most militaristic countries in history, 50 years during which they were treated with suspicion by other powers and provided with protection by their allies so they don't act up again?
>>
>>2813110
I think it's pretty obvious that whoever made it was as liberal as possible with what constitutes a "war" in order to end up with the highest conceivable number of years possible. For instance, a nebulous group of peaceful occupations and occasional military clashes rarely lasting more than a day or two across several different countries gets all lumped together into the "Banana Wars" for this tabulation and counts for the list at 35 years of uninterrupted warfare - regardless of whether there was fighting or not. The same is done with the Chickamaya Wars - which end up presented at 19 years of uninterrupted war. They stitch the Boro Rebellion into the years of the Philippine-American War to turn that 3 year long conflict into a 15 year long one. The same is done with the Cold War, which they break out as a legitimate war whenever they've got some years on the calendar that need plugging up - such as the end of Vietnam and the beginning of the Gulf War. It becomes increasingly clear that whoever made this list does not consider US military involvement to actually be a prerequisite of America being at war. For instance, the Ukrainian Civil War is absurdly counted as an American War - as is the 8 years of the Russo-Afghan War, the Yom Kippur War, and some nebulous conflict whose origin I am not even aware of which they just call the "Conflict in Iraq" which is a 5-year long American war in the middle of the 90's which I apparently missed. The Yellowstone Expedition somehow gets counted as a war (you might as well include "the Lewis & Clark War"), as does the Posey War, which was a weekend-long policing action by a group of local posses. The Lincoln County War counts as well even though it was a shootout between bandits and lawmen - including this is like including the North Hollywood Shootout. Same with the Jayuya Uprising - a police action lasting a single day.
>>
>>2814340
I'm particularly annoyed at the fact that the Cuban Missile Crisis, perhaps the greatest triumph of diplomacy in our country's history, is nonetheless shoved in there as an American war too. Honestly the whole list is just full of disingenuous things like this aimed at trying to make the United States seem as war-like as possible. And that's not even getting into how misleading it is when an entire year gets checked off regardless of the length of the actual conflict. The United States was at war 365 straight days in 1943, whereas the Posey War, the Lincoln County War, and the Jayuya Uprising together were less than a week - yet each of those count for a year all on their own.
>>
>>2814340
>>2814341
what would your total years at war count end up at using your own definition of war?
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.