[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>Between half a million and two million cuneiform tablets

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

File: Why would someone do this.jpg (473KB, 674x746px) Image search: [Google]
Why would someone do this.jpg
473KB, 674x746px
>Between half a million and two million cuneiform tablets are estimated to have been excavated in modern times, of which only approximately 30,000 – 100,000 have been read or published. The British Museum holds the largest collection (c. 130,000), followed by the Vorderasiatisches Museum Berlin, the Louvre, the Istanbul Archaeology Museums, the National Museum of Iraq, the Yale Babylonian Collection (c.40,000) and Penn Museum. Most of these have "lain in these collections for a century without being translated, studied or published," as there are only a few hundred qualified cuneiformists in the world.
>>
>>2797595
Wow, that's pretty exciting. Maybe there's some cool stuff in those tablets...
>>
If only a few hundred people have bothered to learn it doesn't it stand to reason that they are all employed translating the stuff?
>>
>>2797595
I'm thinking that the first step should be to scan as many of these tablets as possible... that way people will be able to work on translating them without having to go actually look at the things.
>>
>>2797610
Only if there's enough money available for that kind of work to employ them all.
>>
>>2797606
Nah it must be 99% irrelevant bullshit that is only cool for people who study about it.
>>
>>2798248

True, but if you aren't one of those people what exactly are you doing on this board?
>>
Ive been teaching myself Assyrian cuneiform recently. The best book Ive fohnd for it is this one from 1908

https://archive.org/details/assyrianprimerin00prinuoft

I learned the ugaritic alphabet first as it is much smaller. Now Im working on the assyrian syllabylary, in the order I learned japanese - a i u e o, ka ki ku ke ko , sa shi su se so etc

I write it with a pen on paper, drawing the triangles and lines. Once you get used to it its not that slow. Ive started finding ways to quickly write three triangles together , such as making one long line and then however many wavy lines on top to make up triangles.

Ive also got some terracotta clay that I knead and smoosh into a small picture frame, with a plastic backing. then I use one of thise plastic containers mechanical pencil leads come in as a stylus. It looks pretty cool when you pop it out of the pictue frame
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.