[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Plato describes Atlantis as a place west of Spain and an island

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: Caesar.jpg (181KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Caesar.jpg
181KB, 1920x1080px
Plato describes Atlantis as a place west of Spain and an island that served as a stopping point between Europe and the lands beyond.

How did he know that the America's existed 1300 years before the vikings found them?

Is this not proof enough that it could exist?
>>
>>2789599
Atlantis was literally made up on the spot for the sake of a thought experiment you illiterate fuck
>>
>Judging by everything, the American continent was not the westernmost continent in sacred geography as Atlantis was, but rather its further-Western “continuation.” In other words, America was “beyond Atlantis”, the lands located “on the other side of the West.” It is possible that the sacred, symbolic location of America explains the disturbing secrets associated with it in the sacred geography of Eurasia’s traditional civilizations.

https://www.google.com.br/amp/s/4threvolutionarywar.wordpress.com/2016/04/24/america-the-green-country-alexander-dugin/amp/
>>
>>2789610
This, he explicitly states this. It's possible it was modeled thematically on the bronze age collapse, but that's pretty much it.
>>
>>2789724
>he explicitly states this
No, he doesn't.
>>
>>2789610
Fpbp
>>
>>2789599
>Plato describes Atlantis

No he doesn't. A fictional character written by Plato does. The character is a sophist, whose job is literally bullshitting and is made a fool of by Socrates, and even that character handwaves about it being "an ancient myth" and is merely using it to illustrate a point (which of course Socrates refutes). It is definitely, definitely not meant to be taken literally, and Plato's contemporaries did not.
>>
>>2789804
Let me fact check you mate, because you're full of shit.
>A fictional character written by Plato does.
Actually Critias was a real person who lived in Athens in the time of Socrates and Plato.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Critias
Sure, his line in the dialogue (as well as everyone else's) are actually written by Plato, but that's not what you meant with "fictional character".
>The character is a sophist, whose job is literally bullshitting
Nope. See above.
>and is made a fool of by Socrates,
On the contrary, he is praised by Socrates.
>Crit. Consider then, Socrates, if this narrative is suited to the purpose, or whether we should seek for some other instead.
>Soc. And what other, Critias, can we find that will be better than this, which is natural and suitable to the festival of the goddess, and has the very great advantage of being a fact and not a fiction
Part 1
>>
>>2789928
>and even that character handwaves about it being "an ancient myth"
He actually says "ancient tradition"
>As soon as we arrived yesterday at the guest-chamber of Critias, with whom we are staying, or rather on our way thither, we talked the matter over, and he told us an ancient tradition, which I wish, Critias, that you would repeat to Socrates, so that he may help us to judge whether it will satisfy his requirements or not.

>and is merely using it to illustrate a point
Yes, but he doesn't dismiss it as mere fiction like you said, in fact it's quite the opposite
>Crit. Then listen, Socrates, to a tale which, though strange, is certainly true, having been attested by Solon, who was the wisest of the seven sages.
>(which of course Socrates refutes).
Holy shit you didn't even read the goddam book why am I even wasting my time with you?
>It is definitely, definitely not meant to be taken literally,
There are multiple line in the dialogue explicitly saying that it is literally true (whether it really is or not is another matter).
>and Plato's contemporaries did not.
That's the only true thing you said in your entire post. Only a minority of Plato's students took the story literally.
Part 2
>>
>>2789599
An advanced antediluvian society that sank into the sea, or was broken when Pangaea broke up, is entirely possible. Probable even. And we can know at least one thing about them, for sure.

They were evil.
>>
>>2789928

Different Critias, fag.
>>
>>2790022
>Born in Athens, Critias was the son of Callaeschrus
>The Critias character in Plato's dialogues Timaeus and Critias is often identified as the son of Callaeschrus
>he may be the grandfather of the son of Callaeschrus.
It's either he or his grandfather. Either way it's besides the point. You made shit up and got called out. I'd be quiet if I were you.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.