[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So I'm going to get the equipment/clothing of the Swiss

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

File: 69eb238f22ebfbba222f2cd5ef76c05e.jpg (390KB, 903x1236px) Image search: [Google]
69eb238f22ebfbba222f2cd5ef76c05e.jpg
390KB, 903x1236px
So I'm going to get the equipment/clothing of the Swiss dude on the far right. I have a basic comprehension of late 15th Century Swiss Cantons and their relationship with the rest of Europe, and especially with Burgundy. Could anyone give me a quick rundown on the uniforms of each Canton, and if mercenaries from those Cantons in the service of other European powers would still wear those colors?
>>
>>2777161
>uniforms
no such thing at the time. However accomplished soldiers where often presented with clothes in the color of the Canton they came from, so matching pants or doublet. That was a high honor at the time, and had benefits for the wearer, basically it indicates that you are rolling with the gang and nobody should fuck with you.
Feathers and bands around the helmet also indicated capitancy or other officer. so in the early days the brightest dressed guys on the field where those in charge. Later this got corrupted by the Landsknecht where they all dressed like that.
>>
>>2777178
Are the dudes in Uri's colours (ancaps) in doublets or some kind of weird livery jacket or something?
>>
File: 1grande_6317.jpg (101KB, 332x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1grande_6317.jpg
101KB, 332x1000px
>>2777186

Would this be accurate enough (minus the hat, I'd get a hood instead)?
>>
>>2777161
I don't know about Switzerland, but in England and France in the 15th century common soldiers would have a gambeson, a mail shirt, a brigandine, and a salet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hV-tnlH3ffw&t=137s
>>
pls respon
>>
>>2777161
That helmet is dope mang
>>
>>2777285
Armour varied depending on seniority, wealth, and so on. The front rankers were typically in full or near-full harness.

The only real hallmark of a Swiss soldier of the time was the cross that was stitched on their clothes and/or painted on the armour. Wearing the cantonal colours was a mark of honour/seniority, and sometimes standard bearers (like the Uri guy in the OP) wore themed outfits.
>>
>>2779210
>The only real hallmark of a Swiss soldier of the time
You are forgetting the swiss dagger, pretty iconic weapon for them.
>>
>>2777161
If you want a serious answer ask on myarmoury
>>
File: Bundesschwur_Zuerich.jpg (128KB, 700x946px) Image search: [Google]
Bundesschwur_Zuerich.jpg
128KB, 700x946px
>>2779273
10 people in the pic, 8 of them carry a swiss dagger.
>>
>>2779286
I was talking more in the sense of clothing and armour, although I guess you're right as the dagger was essentially worn too.
>>
>>2779319
By the way, wouldn't it make more sense to use the term degen as many examples were more sword than dagger in terms of length?
>>
>>2779334
Depends on the size, both where common.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.