[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

In a lot of media its shown as if when the germanics like the

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3

File: anglos and sheeeid.jpg (598KB, 1200x628px) Image search: [Google]
anglos and sheeeid.jpg
598KB, 1200x628px
In a lot of media its shown as if when the germanics like the saxons for example after becoming christian lost a part of their warlike culture and so became weaker eventually.
Is there any proof that this actually happened like is there anyone who from the early middle ages that wrote about this?
Also would christianity in anyway alter the germanic cultures to make them more peaceful?
I mean christianity was still very warlike for most of its existance.
>>
>Is there any proof that this actually happened
No
>>
>>2772091
Well christianity also came with a united empire and having the same king as your neighbor people makes it harder to rob them.
>>
>>2772106
I got the idea that nobody gave a shit about that and kept raiding eachother anyway.
>>
File: The Normans-37.jpg (1MB, 2184x2846px) Image search: [Google]
The Normans-37.jpg
1MB, 2184x2846px
>>2772091
It didn't do jack shit to the Normans.

They settled, they got christianized, ""civilized"" by franks, and still they were running around Europe and the Mediterranean sniffing for conquerable land and booty.
>>
File: Christianisierung2.jpg (187KB, 1491x1183px) Image search: [Google]
Christianisierung2.jpg
187KB, 1491x1183px
>>2772108
Of course there were still fights between different groups but in the end when we are talking about "full" christianization we talk about a time around 1000ad or something like that and even later for other parts of Europe. Mission wasnt as fast as we sometimes think about it nowadays.
>>
>>2772129
They still assimilated at some point, stuff like that needs a few generations of time.
>>
>>2772091
Christianity was a necessary form of pacification for the Germanics to form advanced civilization.

>I mean christianity was still very warlike for most of its existance.
There needs to be a distinction between war and interpersonal violence. War still happened with Christianity but the latter was vastly reduced. A pacified population with low rates of interpersonal violence is a prerequisite for advanced civilization.

>http://evoandproud.blogspot.com/2013/06/making-europeans-kinder-gentler.html?m=1
>>
>>2772129
Pacification by Christianity was a centuries long process; didn't happen immediately.
>>
>>2772091

I have read that with regards to Romans but never with regars to Germanics.
First of all, many if not most Germanics were Christians when they were the obvious reason for the fall of the Roman Empire, the issue was they were Arran Christians https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arianism, not Orthodox/Catholics.
Charlemagne genocided Saxons to convert them to Christianity, and the Teutonic knights converted balts to Christianity by force.
>>
>>2772144
This. You can't really advance as a people when you're too busy getting revenge on your neighbor to avenge your honor when they're rude to you in the hall or something.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.