[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>Get really interested in Orthodox Christianity >Read a

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

File: image.jpg (343KB, 594x900px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
343KB, 594x900px
>Get really interested in Orthodox Christianity
>Read a bunch of books
>Use the information that I pick up as ammunition for shitposting as an Orthodox Christian
>bored of Orthodox Christianity now
>Reading stuff on Islam
>Shitpost as a Muslim now

Anyone else treat religion as a license to shitpost? i have come to terms with my own superficiality by now
>>
>>2765062
In interesting things you discovered in Orthodoxy or Islam most people wouldnt know?
>>
Pi's a 4channer?
>>
>>2765092
The interesting stuff can't be summarised like that. But I've read lots of stuff from Palamas, Athanasius, different catechisms, John of the Ladder, desert fathers etc to contemporary authors like Seraphim Rose and Timothy Ware.

Najhul Balagha is a nice find for Islam, most people who get into Islam don't even hear about it but it's full of awesome content. It's a compilation of the sayings and writings attributed to Ali Ibn Abu Talib.
>>
I wish i was this dedicated
>>
>>2765235
Probably listened to audiobooks which is not a bad way to learn written material.
>>
>>2765272
nope i read actual books

nice try pleb
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>2765281
>>
>>2765296
You still can't deny that reading induces zzzizing. Written and spoken language has it's limits and as a medium of communication.
>>
>>2765323
Depends on the person. I can't do audiobooks.
>>
>>2765111
>The interesting stuff can't be summarised like that

Fair enough, an reason why you didnt find their arguments convincing?

>Seraphim Rose
What are your thoughts on him?
>>
>>2765432
Also a very big question and hard to summarize. But I'm not sympathetic to Christianity's "historicizing" tendency, for one. I don't see why, from the standpoint of "ultimate truth", why anyone should seriously concern themselves with the life of a carpenter from an obscure Roman province, even if he is the son of God. Contingent historical truth seems to be a matter of indifference.

Seraphim Rose is a very genuine and pious person. I'm pretty sure he'll end up canonized as a saint. Also Rene Guenon's writing jump-started his interest in religion, and that is something I have in common with him.
>>
File: 81dniMg44fL[1].jpg (302KB, 1487x1937px) Image search: [Google]
81dniMg44fL[1].jpg
302KB, 1487x1937px
Ibn Arabi is a great mystical thinker desu
>>
>>2765533
Yes, I've only started getting into Islam. I'd like to read Ibn Arabi, al Farabi, al Ghazali, etc the classic Islamic Medieval thinkers, but I haven't gotten to it yet. My Islamic shitposting career is only in its most incipient stages.
>>
>>2765549
I'm also really interested in reading Henry Corbin's stuff and about illuminationism etc.
>>
>>2765528
>But I'm not sympathetic to Christianity's "historicizing" tendency, for one

What do you mean by historicising here the evidence seems pretty good after-all why would everyone start martyring themselves over someone who never existed and surely if he wasnt resurrected all the jews/romans would have had to do was parade his body around.

Also something which Im sure you could easily summarize - what was your most effective orthodox and Islamic shitposting material/arguments.
>>
>>2765562
I'm not saying that it didn't happen. Even if God did incarnate in the flesh I'm saying that it would be irrelevant. Truth, in the "ultimate" sense, is not contingent. Truth was Truth before Jesus, and Truth will be Truth after, if it is Truth at all. Kind of like he says "before Abraham was I am". Of course, it could be taken as a particular expression of the universal or something. Not there isn't a case to be made for the Christian point of view on this dilemma, I just don't find it compelling at the end of the day. I won't deny that I have more of a "perennialist" kind of tendency in my views. The Orthodox shitposting was back when Constantine used to post here, so I don't remember much it was a while ago. I've only barely started getting into Islam. I haven't posted on here that consistently in the interim.

So anyway, by the "historicizing" tendency I mean the absolute value they place on historically contingent truths which strike me as largely a matter of indifference, except as a "side interest".
>>
>>2765062
I did something similar with Marxism
>>
>>2766423
I could never get interested enough in that topic to inform myself about it in detail tb h
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.