[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I invite you to try to name a single greater true, factual /adventure

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 5

File: shackleton.jpg (27KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
shackleton.jpg
27KB, 480x360px
I invite you to try to name a single greater true, factual /adventure story/, strongest possible emphasis on that one defining phrase as we now understand it, in the entire historical record.

Don't report back to me with a WAR. Don't report back to me with a MASS MOVEMENT. Give me an ADVENTURE STORY, that actually happened. Individual, small-group accounts within the above larger milleus may serve.

I put it to you that you will not be able to come up with one which passes muster.
>>
>>2759379

Done.
>>
>>2759379
Heinrich Schleimann and his excavation of Troy.
>>
File: untitled.png (102KB, 270x187px) Image search: [Google]
untitled.png
102KB, 270x187px
Cortes and Pizzarro
>>
>>2759397
fpbp
>>
>>2759397
The apollo astronauts did virtually nothing

The achievement was all in the engineering
>>
>>2759415

>Leaving earth to explore an alien body is "nothing."
>Meanwhile commies are heroes because they sent a dog to space
>>
Anabasis count?
>>
>>2759424
Sitting in a can for a few days and getting out once is virtually nothing yes
>>
File: the real heros.jpg (10KB, 294x171px) Image search: [Google]
the real heros.jpg
10KB, 294x171px
>>2759379
considering everyone survived (cept the puppers) the Endurance is pretty hard to beat.
>>
>>2759379
How about the mission to bring diptheria medicine to Nome, Alaska by dog sled?

>diptheria outbreak in Nome
>not enough medicine, lots of kids gonna die
>blizzard hits, trains can't make it
>harbors choked with ice
>dog sleds are used as last resort
>travel ~1000 miles, day and night, through some of the shittiest weather on Earth
>medicine arrives in time, kids saved
Its such a good story, one of the dogs, Balto, has a statue in Central Park.
>>
>>2759469

>t. butt-hurt tankie
>>
File: 280px-Lewis_and_Clark.jpg (12KB, 280x211px) Image search: [Google]
280px-Lewis_and_Clark.jpg
12KB, 280x211px
>>2759379

Lewis and Clark expedition had a little bit of everything. Adventure, companionship, hardships, token black man and native woman, life lessons, and a hint of conspiracy.
>>
>>2759379

Shackleton is a pretty damn good one. Truly a feat of endurance and test of faith. >>2759669
also makes for a good story, but I think Shackleton has them beat in terms of overall impressiveness.

I don't have much to add, but what about the Andes flight disaster? Popularized by the book "Alive" (which I recommend) 27 people, including a rugby team, survives a crash in the Andes sometime in early 70's.

They survive for two and a half months in one of the most barren environments on earth. Of course, they had nothing but air plane food for some days, having rationed the food well for untrained people in a survival situation. As a group they decided to eat each other as they died.

>cutting off strips of meat from your buddies thighs
>laying the strips out on the plane fuselage to dry
>tfw you learn to make jerky as cannibals

The group became split in its perspective. some thought there was little to no hope as they suspected rescue missions were over. However, some refused to give up. The group made the decision to try and trek out. It made no sense to send more than a couple people out.

So, they collectively decided to fatten up the two strongest survivors. Sacrificing human jerky to fatten the two up for the trek. The two walked for a few days and finally ran into some guy on a farm iirc.

I think it's a great survival story. It encompasses the human condition.

Pessimism, fear, pragmatism, faith and lack thereof, and finally: unity through tragedy.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.