[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How did economics work before capitalism? What major differences

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: Charlemagne_coin.jpg (69KB, 500x518px) Image search: [Google]
Charlemagne_coin.jpg
69KB, 500x518px
How did economics work before capitalism? What major differences from the modern era am I meant to apprehend?
>>
> trade especially was for a long time not continuous like our own, but consisted essentially in a series of individual undertakings. Only gradually did the activities of even the large merchants acquire an inner cohesion (with branch organizations, etc.).

- The Protestant Ethic and the Spirit of Capitalism
>>
>>2750261
It was basically feudalism.
>>
>>2750425
But what did feudalists do different compared to us today, if we put aside whole "the whole kingdom is technically owned by the king and everybody else is renting it".
>>
Marxists insist that capitalism didn't exist prior to the industrial revolution but that's wrong.
>>
>>2750891
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manorialism
>>
>>2751221
It did exist, but only in merchant city-states.

There's a difference between something existing in very small parts of the world, and something being the dominant economic system everywhere.
>>
The basis of capitalism, i.e. use thing you have to buy thing you want in an exchange of goods you both seem to be a good trade has been around since man first walked upright.
>>
>>2751237
Capitalism isn't simply trading with people. Capitalism is a specific system of people working for a wage, and certain people not associated with the State owning private property.
>>
Until after WW2, bartering was still the most common form of transaction in the world.

Remember that.
>>
>>2751237

That's not what capitalism is. That's just trade. Capitalism means a particular kind of trading, specifically of productive labor rather than the products themselves. If you have a job that makes your employer money, your employer is a capitalist. (Also, if you own stock in any company, YOU are a capitalist, technically being the employer yourself.)
>>
>>2750261
there has never been a time "before capitalism"
>>
>>2751246
just before WW2, Korea was the second poorest country in the world, beaten only by Haiti

economic history is fun
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.