[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why were indians so good at math? >Bhāskara's work

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

File: bhaskara-ii-1114-1185.jpg (12KB, 300x225px) Image search: [Google]
bhaskara-ii-1114-1185.jpg
12KB, 300x225px
Why were indians so good at math?

>Bhāskara's work on calculus predates Newton and Leibniz by over half a millennium.[7][8] He is particularly known in the discovery of the principles of differential calculus and its application to astronomical problems and computations.
>>
who knows
>>
>>2743505
>Indians
>list one person rather than across a whole culture
>>
>>2743524
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Indian_mathematicians
>>
Because pagan gods help them with equations.
>>
>>2743524
>Indian mathematicians made early contributions to the study of the concept of zero as a number,[4] negative numbers,[5] arithmetic, and algebra.[6] In addition, trigonometry[7] was further advanced in India, and, in particular, the modern definitions of sine and cosine were developed there.[8] These mathematical concepts were transmitted to the Middle East, China, and Europe[6] and led to further developments that now form the foundations of many areas of mathematics.
>>
>>2743505
There is a pretty interesting point in history where Europeans suddenly gain lots of knowledge base, we attribute this as a stroke of genius. However the reality maybe bit murky. Many of those knowledge obtained from "stroke of genius" have few things in common. 1) its already known in the ancient world 2) the location where its known has contact with active missions.

These things happen roughly around same time during age of exploration phase.

There are dissertations which claim there was a moment in time where these things could happen with all the right ingredients mixed together. Be it the motives of the Europeans making these discoveries, or the time period, or the means to do so, etc.

It wasn't simply Indian math, but ideas in general from non-Europeans were being "discovered" by Europeans as their own invention. There was a paper I read about Gopnik few years ago regarding the possible link into this.
>>
>>2743635
The pure amount of work in the maths and sciences by groups like the Jesuits is severely underrepresented. That has more to do with it than anything.
>>
>>2743532
This dude was a fuckin genius
>>
>>2743647

But aren't the Jesuits a backstabbing organization which has puppet institutions all around the world?
>>
He was a genius, no doubt about it. His discoveries were many. I can only wager that because there was a state supporting thinkers there was room for people of his caliber to work. Something that Europe didn't really have a lot of at the time. What about China?
>>
>>2743655
Imagine what he could have achieved if he had a formal education.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.