[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can a Calvinist explain to me how predestination makes any sense

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 3

File: topic_john_calvin.jpg (51KB, 365x268px) Image search: [Google]
topic_john_calvin.jpg
51KB, 365x268px
Can a Calvinist explain to me how predestination makes any sense whatsoever? It doesn't seem to match up with philosophy, theology, or scripture. As far as I can tell it was Calvin's attempt to solve the problem that God knowing every event and choice that will happen appears to contradict free will, but it's a terrible solution.
>>
>>2740883

It's not necessarily against scripture, the bible explicitly supports predestination in places.

>He hath chosen us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and without blame before him in love: Having predestinated us unto the adoption of children by Jesus Christ to himself, according to the good pleasure of his will.

Ephesians 1:4-5
>>
>>2740883

Most Calvinist I know believe in some form of free will (usually by making tons of mental gymnastics), the most consistent Calvinists are what is called Hyper-calvinists, which usually are compatibilists though it may be consistent with the ideology but is biblically unsound when looked at holistically. Calvinists also will squirm at biblical events that contradict their worldview usually in the OT. Though God has foreknowledge of things to come and it's plainly obvious he doesn't combine them with predestination as likely what most Calvinists assume.
>>
File: 220px-Luis_Molina.jpg (19KB, 220x289px) Image search: [Google]
220px-Luis_Molina.jpg
19KB, 220x289px
>>2740883
Molinism or 'Middle Knowledge' manages to efficiently reconcile the two seemingly contradictory stances.
I completely understand why Calvinism isn't too popular in the modern Christian world when we've had a rebuttal to determinism since the 16th Century
>>
File: christ b8.png (55KB, 625x626px) Image search: [Google]
christ b8.png
55KB, 625x626px
>>2741383
>the most consistent Calvinists are what is called Hyper-calvinists
>>
>>2741383
How can God create the universe with perfect foreknowledge of the future without having predetermined how everything will play out?
>>
>>2740883
Calvinism just doesn't sit well with me cause of the Total Depravity meme. Apparently humans are worthless animals that literally can't do anything without God, even accept/believe in God on their own. And unconditional salvation is just a meme to allow Calvinists to feel superior to other Christians since obviously they wouldn't be Calvinists at all if they weren't part of God's super special "elect" .
>>
>>2742086
Calvinists believe that all Christians are part of God's elect including Arminians.

Also Calvinists do not feel superior for being part of God's elect since they played no part in their own salvation. It's the Arminians who believe that they did something special which allowed them to be saved.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.