[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What countries in history where truly democratic? Presidential

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

File: althing.jpg (276KB, 1200x676px) Image search: [Google]
althing.jpg
276KB, 1200x676px
What countries in history where truly democratic? Presidential system somehow seems like a perversion of the democratic system.
>>
>>2738315
Switzerland?
>>
>>2738315
Democracy is an impossible scenario unless everyone agrees on everything.
>>
Athens was a direct democracy for everyone who had the vote
>>
File: american-ed.jpg (21KB, 400x398px) Image search: [Google]
american-ed.jpg
21KB, 400x398px
>>2738422
thanks for your input
>>
>>2738315

Athens, obviously. Also medieval Iceland and arguably Switzerland.
>>
>>2738431
Sorry let me elaborate. Democracy is rule by the people. Does that mean 51 percent of the people rule or does it mean that everyone rules? The tyrany of the majority is a real thing. So it becomes increasingly difficult to run a teuly.democratic government when you realize there will be many things that people disagree on. What if an issue is non linear and 34 percent can decide what to do. Democracy is much more than voting it really is a system in which the people rule.over their government. So for it be a reality the people must agree. Otherwise it is one group of people imposing it's will on another. Obviously this is rather impossible unless you dencentralize governments to am extreme degree and make them very small and make travel cheap and easy.
>>
>>2738461
You made it worse mate, really, go read a book and refrain from posting here until you learned something. Tnx
>>
>>2738507
At least explain to me why the tyranny of the majority is not a major hypocrisy in most people's perception of democracy.
>>
>>2738315
Revolutionary Catalonia and current Rojava
>>
>>2738524
Because there are many checks and balances in a true democracy to prevent exactly that. Consencus type governments for example.
>>
>>2738531
>oh, its a new thread
>let's just post my favorite exotic lefty type governments that only existed under civil war conditions for a very short time period
>now I can talk about lefty governments and look real smart
nice try there
>>
>>2738556
....K?
>>
>>2738543
It sounds like you are describing a republic not a democracy. A republic can be democratic, but never really.a democracy. The will of the people is always tempered by the representatives. I think it's a much more effective way of governing, but it's not really democratic.

Well the issue with consensus is two fold. One is that it cannot always be reached and two it may be something that no one desires. If you want to save all the wolves and I want to kill them all. I don't think either of us will be happy if we kill half them.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.