[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How the fuck did translators work in ancient times? I can't

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

File: 1493537014439.jpg (21KB, 229x343px) Image search: [Google]
1493537014439.jpg
21KB, 229x343px
How the fuck did translators work in ancient times? I can't imagine crossing the ocean and just learning how to talk to dudes from scratch.
>>
I used to think about this a lot too until I realized you can probably learn enough to trade shit within a half hour. That shit doesn't require fluency and years of study.
>>
>>2735409
You teach them like how you teach a child
If it's the same language group, like French and Spanish you already have sentence structure. But more liekly than not you create a hybrid language which would be started by merchants and then later to groups if people of greater contact was made
>>
Since people living in border regions tend to speak several languages, in the Old World you can theoretically chain enough such natives to speak with everybody. New World is the more interesting case, yet people still managed to learn each other languages in a year or so, see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/La_Malinche .
>>
>>2735409
It was probably something you learnt over an entire lifetime and passed down to your successors, with a few exceptions like Romans learning Greek from a young age.
You would've gone from saying only "amphora, grain, gold, ten drachma," to to "ten drachma for that amphora? Your mother's couch smells worse than a snails entrails you Tyrian scumbag."
>>
>>2735409
That's why you'll never achieve or amount to anything, you lazy faggot
>>
>>2735461
>just build a boat and sail around the Mediterranean bro
It's all fun and games until your god wants you to sacrifice your daughter for some g winds.
>>
>>2735409
You point at a tree and say "tree" enough times, they'll get that "tree" means tree. Repeat until you can hold a basic convo.
>>
>>2735409
>move to france for job
>learn french in a year

I'm not even that intelligent, this shit's just easy
>>
File: 1485243888681.png (41KB, 185x185px) Image search: [Google]
1485243888681.png
41KB, 185x185px
>>2735474
>>2735476
So why hasn't ten years of watching anime made me fluent in Japanese yet?
Bakas.
>>
>>2735481
Because it's going too fast and you're watching it with subtitles.
>>
>>2735481
Because you can't learn a language passively, you have to practice grammar to do so. I've been reading books and watching movies in English without a dictionary for 8 years now, but I had to actually learn grammar and practice a lot to start producing more or less correct sentences. This is why total immersion works so well, you have no choice but to try to communicate in the language you're learning.
>>
>>2735481

because literally every line spoken in anime is weird meme speech that nobody would dream of using in everyday life
>>
>>2735457
Golden post!
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.