[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How was this absolute madman able to become a respected emperor

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 4

File: severus.jpg (888KB, 1820x2409px) Image search: [Google]
severus.jpg
888KB, 1820x2409px
How was this absolute madman able to become a respected emperor of Rome while also being a proud descendant of most deadly enemy, even speaking Punic natively, speaking Latin with a heavy accent, and introducing several Punic deities to the official pantheon? "Punic" was used as a synonym for "treachery" in Rome and his son Caracalla was said to have "inherited the cruelty of the race of Africa [Punics]". Did anyone raise a stink about his heritage?
>>
All you really needed to be emperor in the third century were popularity among the troops and enough tact to avoid assassinations.
>>
He won the war
>>
>>2733586
Severus is probably the first or second most overrated emperor (along with Theodosius I) who basically set the stage for the next century of the empire not to mention fathering one of the worst emperors in history.
>>
File: Caracalla.png (394KB, 420x569px) Image search: [Google]
Caracalla.png
394KB, 420x569px
>>2733673
>implying Caracalla did even one single thing wrong

Fuck off pleb.
>>
>>2733718
>>
>elevate black dynasty
>Rome goes to shit immediately afterwards
>>
What's the tldr on Caracalla erasing Geta from the history books? Was murder not enough?
>>
>>2733864
Damnatio Memoriae had been a thing forever. It's just that Caracalla went well and truly beyond it what with additional actions like "murdering his brother in front of their mother" and all. I mean he's a guy who told his wife he'd kill her when he became sole emperor and then didn't even wait that long. He was just a psychopath of the highest order.
>>
>>2733718
He's at fault even by Roman writers on view of instigating a nonsensical war with the Parthian Empire/Arsacid dynasty and on top of that this would lead to a chain-reaction of further weakening them to help the ascendance of the Sassanid family which would make things worse for the Romans.
>>
>>2733934
Him and Severus pretty much bribing the troops to back them to an obscene degree likely instilled in them a sense of what was expected (much like the Praetorians and bribes/donatives) meaning any time some soldiers got uppity it was time for a new emperor.
>>
>>2733864
Removing someone from history by destroying all their image was fairly common in Rome. It happened to Caracalla's immediate successor too.
>>
File: severus.png (1MB, 800x811px) Image search: [Google]
severus.png
1MB, 800x811px
>>2733833
Severus was not black, he was Punic, i.e. Phoenician/Berber, i.e. 'light brown'.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.