[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

what are some important things to watch out for when starting

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 2

File: 1492873253934.jpg (371KB, 1247x934px) Image search: [Google]
1492873253934.jpg
371KB, 1247x934px
what are some important things to watch out for when starting a religion?
what would be the differences between creating a system of believes today vs doing so 2000+ years ago?
>>
>what are some important things to watch out for when starting a religion?
watching out for the inevitable schisms h happen preferably after your death
>what would be the differences between creating a system of believes today vs doing so 2000+ years ago?
Xenu's scientists would have an easy job disproving your creation theories to the public opinion
>>
I'm not sure if this is the right forum for this. One major thing about founding a religion is why you are doing it. If you are doing it consciously, you are acknowledging that it is built on lies and for your own personal gain. If you actually heard the voice of God, then you would probably have it based on another like Christianity or Islam did. Or He/She would hopefully be kind enough to tell you some background knowledge. Either way, you don't want to be a cult and do illegal/extremist stuff. People hate that with Scientology. Make your mythology believable so people don't find it a load of bs. Give your followers a good direction in life like helping other people or giving to charity. As a Christian, I cannot encourage that you do this. Unless you are trying to apply some Pascal's wager on atheists.
>>
Make sure to target stupid, lonely, fearful, and/or "lost" people. Give them a sense of belonging and purpose.

Make sure your religion has control methods and room for mental gymnastics.

Claim the world will end soon so they should do what you say.
>>
>>2731438
i dont really agree with pascal's wager, though.
it's still perfectly possible to go to hell only if you believe specificly in the christian god.

i made this thread for a thought experiment on the evolution of religion, which isnt supposed to give an indication on my personal believes though
>>
File: tourism.jpg (597KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
tourism.jpg
597KB, 1600x1200px
>>2731352
This is a subtle point, and I'm not sure how to best get it across, but: people didn't think of their religions as religions. There was no dividing line between theism and society/politics/life/whatever. You ploughed your field because it put weeds back into the soil and helped crops grow better, and you sacrificed a chicken to the gods because it would please Persephone and make crops go better. You wouldn't think "oh, this factoid's mundane but this one is a religious belief." In the same way, there was no dividing line between religious moral/legal systems and the "real" moral/legal systems you actually tried to follow.

If there is a modern equivalent to millennia-old religions, and you started one, you probably wouldn't be aware of it.
>>
>>2731352
To find religious friends.
>>
>>2731352
you must take advantage over memes

hail Hululu
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.