[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

When did European christians stop seeing anything muslim as an

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

File: islamic_philosophy.jpg (204KB, 585x883px) Image search: [Google]
islamic_philosophy.jpg
204KB, 585x883px
When did European christians stop seeing anything muslim as an enemy that needs to be wiped out? If this way of thought would have held on, would we have seen an arguably better world, especially considering the effects crusades would have had on frontiers of islam?

It seems to me that a religiously motivated conquest of Mali, Somalia, Kilwa, or similar would have left said countries in much better states than economically motivated colonies did.

And another question; What was the catholic view on pagan african religions?
>>
>>2730992
>When did European christians stop seeing anything muslim as an enemy that needs to be wiped out? If this way of thought would have held on, would we have seen an arguably better world, especially considering the effects crusades would have had on frontiers of islam?
17th century when the Ottomans stop being a threat and instead viewed as exotic orientals

>>2730992
>It seems to me that a religiously motivated conquest of Mali, Somalia, Kilwa, or similar would have left said countries in much better states than economically motivated colonies did.
Nah, they're just end up being another South America or Philippine

>>2730992
>And another question; What was the catholic view on pagan african religions?- 0 post shown.
Heretical
>>
>>2730992
>When did European christians stop seeing anything muslim as an enemy that needs to be wiped out?
Whenever their leaders decided it wasn't the case
>>
>>2730998
>Nah, they're just end up being another South America or Philippine
That's better than Africa though, isn't it
>>
>>2730998
>Heretical
Idiot.

They were seen as exactly that: pagan.
Heresy refers to deviancy of teachings *WITHIN* a religion's dogma.

Me believing in the earth spirits or some shit is me being a pagan.
Me saying that Jesus and God the Father are two separate entities is fucking heresy.
>>
>>2731001
Sorry, perhaps I phrased it wrong. Didn't mean to imply that all of Islam would be wiped out, only that places like indonesia and north africa would not be muslim due to some kind of kneejerk reaction to islam by european powers.
>>
>>2730992
>When did European christians stop seeing anything muslim as an enemy that needs to be wiped out?
when Europeans began to voyage to Muslim held Andalusia to receive an education
>>
>>2731018
and when merchants began to trade frequently with Muslim nations. Usually it was only the nearby Muslims you hated, not the ones further away you could ally against the nearby Muslims.
>>
>>2730992
When they became so technologically inferior that they became irrelevant.
>>
>>2731044
When was this?
>>
>>2730992
They never thought that to begin with. There were european christians aiding the muslims in their initial conquests.
>>
>>2731102
I find the latter claim extremely hard to believe. How is a christian going to travel down to the middle east in the 600s and join the Rashidun caliphate as a soldier?
>>
>>2730992
it was never that simple. where they came into contact with muslims, europeans sometimes fought them and sometimes entered alliances with them, all depending on the political situation. the muslim conquest of spain only started when a visigothic christian ruler invited muslim soldiers to help him in a rivalry. later muslim and christian states fought in varying alliances throughout medieval times, mostly against each other but sometimes also christians and muslims against other christians and muslims.
Charlemagne exchanged gifts with the Abbasids because he thought they could be helpful allies.

how could a conquest of mali, somalia or kilwa be religiously motivated? the crusades in the holy land only happened because they wanted to free the holy sites. southern africa had no religious value for european christians.
>>
>>2731821
>how could a conquest of mali, somalia or kilwa be religiously motivated?
Trains of thoughts like "Hey look, islamic influence is expanding, we need to stop this to contain Islam before X caliphate annexes them as well"
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.