[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

http://www.pompeiana.org/Resources/ Ancient/Graffiti%20from%

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3

File: Screenshot_20170428-123354.jpg (139KB, 1068x182px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170428-123354.jpg
139KB, 1068x182px
http://www.pompeiana.org/Resources/Ancient/Graffiti%20from%20Pompeii.htm

Any other "everyday citizen" type stuff like this? Any time period would be cool

I find it so interesting to see what the average joes did while all we read about it the great figures in history
>>
Mostly it gets destroyed with time. Ancient peoples didn't like graffiti anymore than we like graffiti today. If you're lucky and the structure got buried or built over with age you can find stuff still.

2000 years from now they'll be digging out LA graffiti from the preserving ash of Yellowstone
>>
>>2727446
>VIII.2 (in the basilica); 1842: Gaius Pumidius Dipilus was here on October 3rd 78 BC.
>BC
Checkmate, atheists.
>>
File: 1024px-Онфим_(200).gif (40KB, 1024x676px) Image search: [Google]
1024px-Онфим_(200).gif
40KB, 1024x676px
13th century boy doodled himself killing his teacher
>>
>>2727825
Where did you get the idea that that's his teacher?
>>
>>2727825
>the style of children's drawings has never changed
Pretty neat
>>
>>2727801
how they no jesus wuz gunna b born tho
>>
What exactly was the literacy levels of the Romans (in Italy) if legionaries and random plebs are able to write these stuff?
>>
>>2727934
Good question. I'm not aware of any actual percentages, but I've heard that literacy levels in Rome were probably higher than they were during medieval times. Of course, literacy isn't a binary attribute, which complicates comparisons further.
>>
>VIII.2 (in the basilica); 1824: Let everyone one in love come and see. I want to break Venus’ ribs with clubs and cripple the goddess’ loins. If she can strike through my soft chest, then why can’t I smash her head with a club?
Roman /r9k/
>>
>>2727934
The literacy was quite high even among the soldiers as we found loads of throwing stones with shit written on it in the cities romans laid siege to.
>>
>>2727934
Just because they could carve out a few poorly phrased shitposts on the latrine wall doesn't mean they were "literate". That said, Pompeii was a resort town for the rich & famous, a sort of coastal retreat for the hoity-toity of Rome. So literacy was probably higher there than you'd expect in say, rural Italia. The potential for sampling bias means you find a lot of quoted figures depending on the professor asked, anywhere from 5-30% from my experience. Many better off households had professional scribes (slaves) to write formally for them, which complicates matters further.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.