[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What are some historical events that most of /his/ is dead

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 2

File: question-mark_318-52837.jpg (18KB, 626x626px) Image search: [Google]
question-mark_318-52837.jpg
18KB, 626x626px
What are some historical events that most of /his/ is dead wrong about?
>>
People assume that peoples entire genomes change when they get conquered.
>>
File: biji.jpg (95KB, 1072x337px) Image search: [Google]
biji.jpg
95KB, 1072x337px
The Armenian genocide.
>>
>>2726069
I think there is split in the community. The issue that the most famous case of conquest was the natives the Americas. In the US were many people on 4chan come from the natives were completely displaced or absorbed by a larger population. Also, aboriginals, Taiwan's natives. There are examples of populations being displaced, but this different than a normal conquest and replace the elites like the Normans in England.
>>
>>2726076
Yeah, see, that's the difference. There weren't literal extinction campaigns or mass settlings in the fall of rome or the norman conquests or something like that. That is relatively modern phenomenon, historically speaking. catholic poles were still a majority near the borders of East Prussia in 1910 for example, when other parts of it has been german speaking frmo the fucking 14th century.
>>
>>2726087
Yeah, for the most part I completely agree, but there are some interesting cases and it isn't always so simple. For example the Germanic invaders in Subb Roman Britain left an an unusually large genetic footprint on the modern British. I have heard a couple theories on this. My favorite is that they reproduced quicker because they would take many wives and a lot these wives were native brits.
>>
IMO when the wider public swings way too hard one way on a historical topic, /his/ swings the other way which is equally wrong, just to provide balance

For example most people think of the fall of Rome as some DBZ epic battle of 300k cannibal barbarians vs 300k roman legionnaires and then the empire collapsed

because this is dead wrong, /his/ now seems to believe the collapse of the Roman empire was a total bro-out where the dindu nuffin goths, franks, lombards and vandals just one day swung by to say hi and the Romans welcomed them with open arms because they knew each other, were buddies and the Romans were tired of the whole "empire" thing anyway. No big battles, sackings, animosity, cultural warfare or xenophobia involved
>>
>>2726115
The most interesting part of the late Roman world is how the identity of a soldier and a barbarian became one. Even if the soldier was for example a native of gaul.

The fall of Rome is easily.one the most.intersting times in history and it's a shame most people want simple explanations for it.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.