[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>abjads >logographics Literally why? Why make things harder

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

File: abjad.png (4KB, 220x97px) Image search: [Google]
abjad.png
4KB, 220x97px
>abjads
>logographics

Literally why?
Why make things harder for yourself when there are easier alternatives?

I understand that it may be difficult to go from logographics to alphabets, but why make abjads?

Who got the idea of inventing a writing system without vowels?
>>
>>2723415
People whose languages are based on triconsonantal roots with no consistent vowels.
>>
because vowels are useless and depend on context
>>
>>2723433
>no consistent vowels
explain

>>2723460
>vowels are useless and depend on context
explain
>>
>>2723809
die
>>
>>2723809
Not those guys, but

Vowels in Semitic languages do not play as big a part as in other languages. You can see it in the various spellings of Muhammad, Mohammed, Mohammad, etc.

What *is* important are the three (sometimes four) consonants which make up the word: muHaMaD. These three consonants will always appear in this order, and any word having them will be related to some underlying concept

> HMD - the-concept-of-praise

When these three consonants have various vowels and other consonants placed before/within/after them, they take on the different meanings:

HaMiid - the adjective: 'praiseworthy'/'praised'
HaMD - the noun: 'praise'
muHaMad - the actor: 'someone who praises'
HaMaDa - the verb: 'to praise'

You can see this happening in many Semitic words:

SLM - the-concept-of-submission
SaLaM - 'submission'
muSLiM - 'submiter'
SaLaMa - 'to submit'

So the writing systems, especially of Arabic and Hebrew, tend to emphasise only the consonants and long vowels, leaving the vowels to a speaker's intuition and context.
>>
>>2723905
> speaker's
reader's, obviously
>>
>tfw learning persian
>can guess the pronunciation of most Arabic words without studying Arabic a single day in my life
>can't guess any indoeuropean word because this is too much bullshit
>>
>>2723415
Do you know anything about how Semitic languages work? The Abjad is actually a clever way to write them
>>
>>2724010
yeah, i do like >>2723905 explained
but wouldn't it still be easier to use vowels too?
There would be no guesswork at all and no dependence on context
>>
>>2724047
I suppose.

There are far more serious issues with the Arabic 'alphabet' than not regularly writing vowels.

There are a few characters which look the same, d/dh, r/z, hard d/hard s, etc; and it has a very low x-height (the 'normal' height of a letter) compared to its ascenders and descenders, meaning that reading it from any distance is a pain in the arse.

One can't deny that Arabic calligraphy is beautiful though.
>>
>>2723415
They weren't made. Your alphabet is derived from an abjad. A few letters were used as vowels and a couple more were introduced later. Classical Latin had no U or Y.
>>
>>2724047
Writing was only really developed so you can get your thoughts across without needing to be there to explain them. It's easier just to rely on context. English has a bunch of homonyms that rely on context as well
>>
>>2723978
Farsi really needs to abandon arabic script. They end up with like 4 letters for s and all that dumb shit.
>>
>>2724236
Three for /s/.

Four for /z/.
>>
>>2724252
Thanks for correcting me, I haven't looked back since college. It was infuriating. I loved speaking it, but reading and writing it was a headache.
>>
>>2724236
Persian Atatürk when?
>>
>>2724268
>TFW there will never be a Zoroastrian Iran helping to ISIS
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.