[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Has childhood obesity, or just obesity in general, ever been

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

File: 2.jpg (116KB, 700x467px) Image search: [Google]
2.jpg
116KB, 700x467px
Has childhood obesity, or just obesity in general, ever been a problem for any historical civilization?
Perhaps for the Romans at the height of their power?
>>
>>2723080
No, only for amerifats, but then they hardly qualify as a civilization.
>>
obesity only came about after the United States influenced nations, thats why its so high in the west but also US influenced third world countries like Micronesia and Guam.
>>
>>2723086
Do you think it's specifically the United States' influence, or just the influence of the West?
>>
>>2723080
I mean
I guess they had to find reference models for all those fat little cherubs somewhere, right? So there must have been SOME fat kids around somewhere.
>>
>>2723115
US. All about that corn syrup baby
>>
>>2723080
Childhood obesity was never a thing until recently
>>
>>2723156
Why though? Did the Romans or some other great civilizations not have enough excess food to sometimes overfeed their children?
>>
Burgers weren't invented yet, so nobody could get fat.
>>
>>2723162
>sometimes
Let me tell you something; these kids are being overfed fucking constantly by shitty neglectful parents that consider diabetes as just something that happens. 3 bagels with cream cheese and a sodaon the way to school? Sure thing kid shut the fuckup please. Also kids today are constantly sedentary while children back then had to be physically active to have fun
Also HFCS
>>
>>2723151
>>2723334
What is it with corn syrup? Is it really so bad?
>>
>>2723459
No, it's worse.
>>
>>2723475
How so? It's just syrup, right?
>>
>>2723459
It's not bad inherently, but:

>Big corn gets $$$ from corn sales both to the federal government and abroad
>Ergo, they lobby the federal government to subsidize corn over other crops
>What do we do with this corn? Grind it up, sell the HFCS to food companies so they can cheaply put it in food to raise the caloric content and make it sweeter, and give the leftovers to cattle as feed.
>>
>>2723085
fpbp
>>
>>2723162
Nope, they did not.
Even in the Renaissance, most of the population HAD to produce food, for themselves and for the minority of people that weren't producing food.
Once cereal crops became the norm, sending your soldiers on campaign for too long could actually make your country collapse because they wouldn't be back for harvesting season: Part of why the Ottoman Empire was so corrupted, decentralized, and gave so much autonomy to its furthest belongings (Egypt, Maghreb, Mesopotamia), and why the Roman Empire expanded mostly around the Mediterranean (It's faster to reach places by boat than by walking there)

Could a rich Roman have bought fucktons of honey and bread and olive oil and make his child obese? Sure, he could, but why the hell would he, it wasn't an era where you'd waste food.

Feasts were a thing, and people overate, but they were adults, and they'd eat far less the next day(s) after that.
>>
>>2723639
Ironic that people who lived 2000 years ago understood these things better than people who live today.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.