[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How accurate was this show in terms of its portrayal of the characters

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 213
Thread images: 42

How accurate was this show in terms of its portrayal of the characters and personalities of major historical figures?
>>
Atia wasn't a slut. Octavias wasn't an autist. Mark Antony wasn't that much of a dumb chad.

Still a fun watch though.
>>
File: 1315118240688.jpg (153KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1315118240688.jpg
153KB, 1280x720px
*inhales heavily*
TRVE
*start sweating profusely*
>>
>>2722480
>characters
They were okay, I guess. Every minor character and the main cast was enjoyable. The show did better than 90% of other roman related Hollywood media in getting the roman spirit right. I can only think of Gladiator, despite the films other huge problems, that accurately represents how roman upper class and lower class acted.

>personalities of major historical figures

Caesar and Mark Antony were spot on. Season 2 was kinda shit, especially how they fucked up Cicero.
Pompey was downright retarded. Instead of a praisejunkie who only wants to be loved we get an feeble old man that somehow becomes Catos puppet.
Cato was way too fucking old.

Atia was probably not a skank but who knows. Patrician women usually fucked around like whores. That didn't change ever, despite the autistic fits of some later historians like livy.

Cicero is in weird spot. Season 1 kinda goofed him but season 2 outright destroyed his character. By the time Caesar was dictator, Cicero was an old fuck who only wrote books with his assistant Tiro and had his son marcus do the political things and Soldiering.

Agrippa was meh. Octavian as a turbo autist was actually pretty funny. I nice spin on a grand character.

Cleopatra was spot on. Maybe a bit too slutty but then again she was greek, so who knows what the fuck she was doing when Caesar and Antony were not around.

The most boner I got were the accurate roman names. No other work of fiction gets them right in Hollywood.
>>
>>2722498
Is the way he gesticulates when he speaks correct? Also senators etc gesticulate like that sometimes.
>>
>>2722498
>GIAUS!
*swings arms*
>JULIUS!
*swings arms*
>CAESAHH!
>>
>>2722498
ALL MOCKERY OF THE JEWS AND THEIR ONE GOD MUST BE KEPT TO AN ***APPROPRIATE*** MINIMUM
>>
>>2722542
I believe it because you can't just shout over the crowd, people far away need to "see" what you're saying as well
>>
>>2722480
Pretty bad. The timing of events is also pretty abysmal.
But then it isn't a documentary, it's fiction. It was meant to be plausible rather than accurate.
>>
>>2722480
Where can I find HBO Rome online? I want to make this summer comfy after this stressful semester.

Finals are really making me think (about suicide)
>>
>>2722665
Solarmoviez dot to
>>
>>2722665
http://mywatchseries.to/serie/rome
>>
>>2722651
This quote should be on the /his/ sticky. Next to "this is not /pol/ with dates"
>>
>>2722668
>>2722670
ty bois
>>
>>2722498
TRUE ROMAN BREAD FOR TRUE ROMANS... (trails off)
>>
>>2722668
>>2722670
>posting malware/scam sites
>>
>>2722499
Would be nice if some credible network did an adaptation of Robert Harris' Cicero trilogy.
>>
>>2722706
Use an adblocker idiot
>>
>>2722707
I'd honestly much rather see an adaptation of Colleen McCullough's Masters of Rome series. The 120-60BC period has literally no video material and yet it's every little bit as interesting as the death throes of the republic. They could do a season per book. 40x22 should be enough minutes for certain. Especially if they cut out some of the early julian drama, after all who the fuck cares about poor ickle Julilla and her madness.
>>
>>2722651
>>2722586
>>2722498
HE WORSHIPS DOGS AND REPTILES

HE BLACKENS HIS EYES WITH SOOT LIKE A PROSTITUTE

HE DANCES AND PLAYS THE CYMBALS IN VILE NILOTIC RITES
>>
File: maxresdefault (5).jpg (31KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault (5).jpg
31KB, 1280x720px
>attia of the julii I call for justice

what's the historicity of this and the slave pouring ash over her head or when she was carving out some curse directed at Caesar on the lead tablet.
>>
File: Stoleneaglepro.jpg (298KB, 1600x931px) Image search: [Google]
Stoleneaglepro.jpg
298KB, 1600x931px
>>2722480
I liked the grit of it. Finally a Rome that looks "used" and inhabited by TRVE ROMANS. Not the overpolished, marble everywhere, trumpet blaring Rome of the 50s, nor the fantasy, sword clashing epic of Ridley Scott. It's made of wood and stone and colorful rags as it should be.
Look at those dirty, late Republican legionaries, with their hamatas, it's great.
>>
>>2722725
Would be great if it happened, something on same level as what BBC did with Wolf Hall.
>>
>>2722738
Didn't happen. Servilia buried her sons ashes after Phillipi and lived the remainder of her days in relative obscurity before dying of old age.
>>
>>2722748
what about the act itself though, is this something people would do?
>>
>>2722738
>what's the historicity
I'd bet money they made it up completely.
I mean I can believe the lead tablet curse, but human sacrifice had already been a big no-no for generations at that point.
>>
>>2722738
Never happened.

Cursing of other people on the other hand happened. How exactly it happened, nobody fucking knows. Many patrician women were in the college priests for juno and other fem only goodesses yet we know fuck all about their rites. Those rites were for women only and they did not write down anything. Disturbing such a rite was serious criminal offense.

The scene is just there for shits and giggles, I guess.
>>
File: publius-clodius-pulcher.jpg (53KB, 415x550px) Image search: [Google]
publius-clodius-pulcher.jpg
53KB, 415x550px
>>2722759
>Disturbing such a rite was serious criminal offense

top lad
>>
>>2722656
Yes I thought the same, makes sense, I was just wondering if there's actual record of the Romans doing specific gestures.
>>
>>2722656
>>2722778
Totally unrelated actually. The gesticulations are literal acting. The ancients saw rhetorics as a full body performance, with non verbal cues being every little bit as important as the actual words in expressing meaning and emotion. Read up on pronuntiatio and chironomia.
>>
>>2722790
Well... So it's not totally unrelated. I mean it's pretty clear he had specific gestures for specific phrases
>>
>>2722793
It's unrelated to making oneself understood to distant crowds. It was something done in every situation, not just when addressing large assemblies.
It must also be noted that the romans had people repeating speeches for the distant crowd at assemblies, and that most gestures are rather minute and certainly in no way expressive enough alone to substitute for the spoken word, so it's silly to call it a sort of mute language.
>>
>>2722802
Ok, this was what I was asking myself. I'll check that, thanks.
>>
>>2722802
I was more speculating that people who heard him but not very well could see his gestures and get his meaning, not that it was full fledged sign language

But maybe I was wrong idk
>>
>>2722751
No idea but the scene where she engraves curses on a tablet against all her enemies is a real thing Romans did.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curse_tablet
>>
>>2722480
That show gave me feels

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9zK0-oJiAYg
>>
File: Speech.png (280KB, 398x380px) Image search: [Google]
Speech.png
280KB, 398x380px
>>2722480
Fellow citizens of the Aventine!
>>
>>2722493
Mark Antony was by far the best character
>>
>>2722493
>Mark Antony wasn't that much of a dumb chad.
Actually by all accounts he totally was.
I mean he wasn't a moron, but then it's not like the fictional version was either.
>>
>>2722990
Good scene.
>>2722991
>>2723004
Yeah, this. I found the character really interesting and similar to what he was suppossed to have been. On the other hand, I think Octavian was shown to be a genious since an early age, and I'm not so sure he was. In any case the character in the show is still cool.
>>
>>2722990
SOME OF YOU MAY KNOW ME
>cricketchirping.wav
>>
>>2723019
I kind of like when these characters get re-imagined - we can't ever really know what they were like afterall. On that note, has there even been a film or novel that's portrayed Caesar in a negative light? That is, portrayed him as a tyrant who did legitimately want to be king of Rome?

I thought that Rome (the HBO version) was pretty neutral on it, you couldn't really read what Caesar was thinking in the end. It's a nice change from making him a flawless hero who just wants to save the Republic from itself.
>>
>Roman soldiers' costumes are immaculately accurate
>the Gauls look like fucking Asterix and Obelix rejects
Why
>>
What do yall think about the overuse of the Lorica Segmentata in Hollywood? How widespread was its use in the legions since it was adopted around Tiberius' reign?
>>
>>2723053
My guess would be the budget - they never really showed the Gauls for very long, so they probably reasoned it didn't matter as much.
>>
>>2723057
It's overused because it's what most people have come to associate with Romans - you stick legionnaires in Segmentata and it 'looks' Roman, just like the red tunics.

As for how widespread it was, there's differing theories, but the real answer is nobody knows. It may have depended on the unit, the period, or legions may have even had a mix. I mean, even modern military's rarely have matching kit for all their soldiers - newer stuff tends to get doled out to frontline soldiers first and slowly rolled out across the rest of the army.
>>
>>2723053
They would look way too similar otherwise. Compare with the Egyptians: Cleopatra's army was basically a bunch of jewish and galatian mercs, yet we only saw some kind of nubian honour guard in the show.
>>
>>2722759
>How exactly it happened, nobody fucking knows

I thought they found clay tablets buried in the Circus Maximus that had curses that trailed off into wild nonsensical babble. Like, I recall some that were throwing vowels to the wind.
>>
>>2722480
Cleopatra they portrayed overly sexual. Which is not suprising given that it's HBO.
>>
>>2723140
I think they hit the nail on the head with Cleopatra. Not particularly pretty but she's got something very charming and erotic about her.
>>
>>2723219
>Not particularly pretty but she's got something very charming and erotic about her.

Power is sexy. Divine power is even sexier.

Everyone wants to stick their dick in a goddess and make the baby butter.
>>
>>2723219
She looked fine, I just think they could have toned down the sluttiness a bit.
>>
>>2722542
Yes, part of rhetorical training at the time included formalized gestures for purpose of emphasis.
>>
>>2723031
Yes, I think with Caesar in Rome they did some good things, like when he wants to have some tone of purple to make people think of the Kings.
>>
>>2722665
Its on amazon if you have prime
>>
>>2723019
Octavian was remarkable enough to attract the notice of Julius fucking Caesar and persuade Caesar to make him heir to his name and fortune. I think it's safe to say Octavian was remarkable from the start.
>>
>>2723293
Fair point. Were there other males in the family? Gotta check the family tree. I mean, did he choose him mostly because of being worthy? Did the fact that he was family have some influence?
>>
>>2723253
Well but we do know that Cleopatra had no trouble using her cunt for her political aims, given the fathers of her children.
That's just like in the show. It's not like she's shown fucking for any reason other than securing allies. Even when Anthony is there playing drunk Dionysus she's shown to be just humouring him rather than partecipating in the orgies.
>>
I liked how they showed the collegia in season 2, but I didn't really like Titus being the character to show it through. I just didn't find his sudden transition to a criminal and corruption very believable.
>>
>>2723297
There were a couple other julians alive, but they were optimates. Anthony and his brothers were also something like first cousins once removed to Caesar, so about the same distance as Octavian, if more horizontally rather than vertically.
So it's not like Octavian was the only one available, he was just the best pick. Of course it mattered that he was an actual blood relation, but he was still picked due to being seen as the best blood relation.
>>
File: 239651-0-q80.jpg (159KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
239651-0-q80.jpg
159KB, 1280x720px
>>2722480
How does it compare to the 70s "I, Claudius" miniseries?
>>
>>2722480
>speaking english
dropped
>>
>>2723360
I liked Rome better, but they just feel different.
I Claudius is about personal politics, Rome is more "slice of life".
>>
>>2723360
I, Claudius is hard to stay awake to.
>>
>>2723360
I, Claudius is fantastic

>IS THERE ANYONE IN ROME WHO HAS NOT SLEPT WITH MY DAUGHTER?
>>
>>2722498
was it autism?
>>
>>2723360

Rome is a good introduction to the way normal romans lived, their hopes and angst and why the Civil Wars of the first century happened.

I Claudius is more about the dynastic struggles of the Julio-Claudian dynasty and is more focused on court intrigue. It also imo better acted even though it kinda hammy at times. Naturally more shit happens in Rome due to the time period, but I like both equally. What I don't like in Rome is all the OC characters they introduce.
>>
>>2723420
it has dated a bit but I'd still be extremely wary of a remake
>>
>>2723560
>I, Claudius remake
I get the feeling that the main characters would be Caligula and Messalina were that to happen.
>>
File: images.jpg (11KB, 300x168px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
11KB, 300x168px
>>2723401
BRIAN BLESSED!
>>
>>2722990
GO BACK TO GAUL YOU BARBARIAN FUCCBOI
>>
>What extraordinary names these plebs have.
>>
>>2722660
for some reason the show got cancelled, I believed it originally wanted 4 seasons, so season 1 was set out pretty well but then shit hit the fan and then they had to squeeze 3 seasons into 1.
>>
>>2722480
In terms of production values, they were top notch. They even made the costumes using ancient techniques and ancient textile production methods. In fact, its meticulous historical accuracy is probably what made it so prohibitively expensive to make, and probably why it only lasted 2 seasons (that and to make room for Game of Thrones)

The only places they took creative liberties was with the characters, and it was always in the form of "what if?" within he gaps of the historical record, so they had a good compromise between historical plausibility with the needs of the plot.

For example, Titus Pullo and Lucius Vorenus are famous for being the only two plebeians mentioned in Julius Caesar's entire body of work. We know absolutely nothing about them, except for the fact that they both saved each other's lives at one point in the Gallic campaign, one right after the other, in front of their cheering comrades. Everything else about their lives is fair game, and choosing them as the two protagonists was a great way to give a common man's eye view to some of the most famous events in western history.

We don't know that much about Atia or Servilia, either, making their behind the scenes catfighting completely plausible. Although one historical inaccuracy is Servilia's suicide. The real Servilia outlived them all, even Octavian.

Their rendition of Cleopatra was probably the most accurate to date, portraying her as someone who wasn't the most attractive woman ever, but who oozed sexuality and radiated raw charisma, and could literally charm the pants off of some of the most powerful men in the world.
>>
>>2724800
>but who oozed sexuality and radiated raw charisma, and could literally charm the pants off of some of the most powerful men in the world.
VORENUS' PURE ROMAN VIRTUE COULD NOT BE PIERCED BY GYPO SLUTS
>>
>>2724669
>a proper use of extraordinary not merely used as a compliment

still love that line
>>
File: IMG_3127.jpg (13KB, 400x200px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3127.jpg
13KB, 400x200px
>>2724857
Titus Pullo, meanwhile, fucked that bitch right in the pussy
>>
>>2724889
Scene were he fucked his Tunisian slave over the table as punishment was the best.
>>
>>2724857
Dignitas and severitas, not debauchery & hubris okay? Praise Jupiter.
>>
>>2724988
a webm would be nice
>>
File: GW516H316.jpg (54KB, 506x316px) Image search: [Google]
GW516H316.jpg
54KB, 506x316px
>5,000 years later and people are still calling each other cucks as an insult
>>
File: 1405606781.jpg (21KB, 624x352px) Image search: [Google]
1405606781.jpg
21KB, 624x352px
>>2725070
>if I kill my wife maybe it'll be okay
>>
>>2725070
did Caesar really cuck as many guys as they be sayin'?
>>
>>2723310
Pullo from episode 1 scene 1 is a guy who while good at heart is primarily worried with his friends and family is fairly unscrupulous in how he achieves his wealth and power, even if he shows restraint and kindheartedness with the power and wealth he receives. He's always ready to fuck someone up if he thinks they're in the wrong and when he's in the collegia he's not exactly in charge of a street gang, more like a group of private police and lawkeepers.
>>
>>2722499
>Instead of a praise junkie who only wants to be loved
That's... actually exactly what we get. They openly use this to maniuplate him all through season one.
>>
>>2724781
HBO got a new CEO. So if the show failed it was his fault for not cancelling it. But if it went well it was he predecessors idea. Same with Deadwood.

Also the show proved that something of that scale could be done on TV. It enabled GoT.
>>
I want a 3rd season about Diocletian. It's got everything you want in a drama: civil wars aplenty, friends becoming enemies, and plenty of morally grey characters to pick from. It can establish how much times have changed, while also setting up the crisis of the 3rd century that leads to his reign, retirement, and the shitstorm that followed. With some tasteful time skips diocletian would be a really cool story, just because it's the same sort of crisis situation that Rome was in before the rise of the Princeps. Diocletian is pretty much untouched by the media and it's the good story.
It could also be done well in the I, Claudius model, with an old Diocletian remembering his life as he sits in retirement. Maybe end the series with a depressed Diocletian sulking after realizing he had lost authority and influence after trying to make a comeback.

Of course it will never be made because nobody knows about Diocletian, only reason HBO did Caesar is because he's the biggest name in Roman history. It's a shame.
>>
>Not the sullen, Catonian. The cheerful, brutish one.
>>
>>2725805
I'd watch it.
>>
>>2722738
The lead tablets though are accurate. They found some embedded in walls of some homes. Pompeji if i remember correctly.
>>
>>2725805
>No Pullo
No thanks
>>
>>2722651
what's funny is that occasion why he is saying is that Herod has arrived and he not a jew and is in fact hated by them
>>
>>2722493
Octivias was pretty autistic
>>
>>2725129
Yes. One story tells ceaser got love letter from wife of another senator while he is being accused of treason. Senate demands to see it. He probably gave the paper to senate while smirking liek a fuck boi
>>
>>2725805
>Diocletian
>not restarting with Caligula
>>
>>2725070
At least people knew the meaning of the word when they used it.
>>
File: 1476968478336.jpg (88KB, 680x529px) Image search: [Google]
1476968478336.jpg
88KB, 680x529px
Am I the only one who found the average life of Lucius more interesting than the whole civil war?

I felt like I was watching a Roman sitcom.
>>
>>2725070
>Octavian Dynamite
>>
>>2726497
At first I was a bit dissapointed that we didn't get much legion action with Lucius, but damn, I really like that they show how regular romans lived. This usually is a weak spot in many shows, both historical and sci-fi: they focus in adventures and very particular places, instead of showing workplaces, houses, etc.

I mean, independently of how good it is from the historical point of view (and I have the impression it is actually quite good), they show everyday life in a great way.
>>
they fucked up Cato
he was younger and like Cicero actually plebeian which the show ignored for all its time
they also did a wrong version of catos death
but still nicely made show
>>
>>2726529
Cato was a fag like his father was. They deserve no respect.
>>
>>2726514
I also don't like how we don't get to see major battle after the first episode.

The show doesn't even show the siege of Alexandria, or fucking Actium!
>>
>>2726587
The show cost enormous amount of money even without the battles and that was 10 years ago when CGI was more expensive. Even GOT's first few seasons you hardly saw any battles and most battles, even some extremely important ones, were skipped. It's only after it blew up that they started showing them.
>>
>>2726618
Most of Rome's battles were montages though. Sets and props cost the most I think.
>>
>>2722493
Mark antony was one of the Chadest men of his time, and loved to imitate Bachus, even going so far as using a chariot pulled be big cats (lions and cheetahs I think it was) in Rome. If anything they didn't play enough his chadism, but he wasn't dumb in the show or in real life.
>>
>>2725129
Yeah, because his politicall enemies slandered him saying he was the fuckboi of some Hellenic king in the pontus zone if I recall well. So he fucked the wifes of any of the senators than slandered him or were his enemies.
>>
>>2723129
There are plenty curse tablets. the problem is: we don't know how the women used them. All rituals done by women/priestesses were oral traditions only that died in the late 2nd century.

>>2726529
Cicero was an equestrian. Cato was from an established plebeian house, the Nobiles. He had atleast one consular mask in his house, unlike Cicero who was the new guy.

But I agree, Cato was far too old nd Cicero way too inept at politics and especially in his speeches.

>>2726549
Cato's father died in office? How does this make him a fag? If we believe Cicero, Cato's dad was the judge in one of first cases of fraudulent sales in history.
>>
>>2726662
Caesar fucked the wives of influental people specifically because to get information.
If you believe the ancient sources he got a wealth of information and insipiration from the wives of famous and influental people.

>fuckboi of some Hellenic king
That was the episode with the king of bythinia. Caesar earned the moniker 'queen of bythinia' for that and apparently used this story to always stay in the public eye.
>>
>>2725622
That's the thing though. The historical pompey was still an ambitious greedy fucker and Cato hated his guts, because to old Cato Pompey was just another tyrant.
The show Cato has no problems being corrupt and manipulating people, the real cato constantly bickered at pompey for his extravagnce, for is indecisiveness during the campaign against Caesar and ultimately convinced everyone, including pompey's Soldiers, that it was a good idea to attack old Julius instead of just waiting.

I think the show pompey was just a feeble old man that got played. The historical pompey was still formidable and not played like a retard.
>>
>>2724800
>The real Servilia outlived them all, even Octavian.
That would mean she lived past 116 years of age.
She's last mentioned as alive in 42BC, anything past that is pure speculation.
>>
File: snapshot20161222082045.jpg (21KB, 200x136px) Image search: [Google]
snapshot20161222082045.jpg
21KB, 200x136px
Rather than start a new thread for this,and it being semi-Rome related,what do you folk think of the two series of the Borgias? I saw all 3 seasons with Jeremey Irons as Pope Alexander,and started the second season of the other series. Which is more historically accurate?
>>
>>2722493
>Knowing any of this with any certainty
>>
>>2726486
caligula has been done plenty, Diocletian is untouched dramatic goodness
>>
>>2726529
Cato and Cicero being plebeians doesn't actually mean much, especially after lex licinia-sextia and lex hortensia, which put the plebeian order on equal footing as the patricians. In practice, both patricians and plebeians "merged" to form the nobilitas - the new dominant class.

Cicero was a homo novis however, and forced to suck optimates dick all day long to gain acceptance. Cato never had that problem since his family was prominent as fuck since the 3rd century BC. That distinction between nobiles and homines novi should have been explored more.
>>
>>2727350
>Cicero was a homo novis however, and forced to suck optimates dick all day long to gain acceptance.
Kek, that's just because he was a two bit little shit with no talent outside of his tongue. Marius and Pompey Strabo were both homini novi, yet they were known for being the opposite of ass kissers. In fact, they both went out of their way to make the senate suck their dick rather than the opposite like Cicero. Most homini novi were in fact either up and coming soldiers, rich magnates or both, and they were rather anti establishment.
>>
>>2727350
novus homo not homo novis
>>
>>2727365
Gaius Marius and Pompey Strabo also lived at a moment in Roman history when the public government was still semi-functional and hadn't been completely gutted in a bloody purge by the conservatives and stacked with partisans who made meaningful reform effectively impossible
>>
>>2728060
Uh dude Pompey Strabo was a contemporary of Sulla. He lived right in the middle of the conservative take over, and he still didn't give a shit because he had armies.
>>
>>2728075
Yes, that was the break down moment.

Cicero lived a generation later, where getting anywhere in the government involved sucking a lot of conservative penis, where dysfunction and bloat had essentially crippled the legislative process, and the city was effectively being run by a shadow government of powerful robber barons who paid their cronies to look the other way while they rigged the economy and the legal system in their favor.

Julius Caesar was a fluke, the result of a massive injection of capital in the form of conquest booty from the genocide of a Gallic Celts, and the fact that he achieved so much political power by telling conservatives to go fuck themselves is half of what made them so frightened of him and why they axed him in the first place. It could be said that assassination of Julius Caesar sparked history's first nationalist uprising as the military revolted and the people backed it over the ruling conservatives, then ran them out of town and hunted them down like dogs
>>
>>2722480
I always though Caesar was a major playboy.
>>
>>2724989
My favorite scene is Lucius getting all cranky that Mark Antony wasn't taking the gravity of his office as administrator of Rome seriously while Caesar was away

>He negotiates with a whore and a dwarf at his side d'you think Cincinnatus or Marius or even the Gracchi would demean themselves so?

And Pullo is all

>...who??
>>
>Characters
Mediocre
>History
Bad
>Costume/Design/Architecture
Good

Rome show is bad for history but good for how rome/citizens/soldiers/roads/shops in other words the city, might look like.

They really tried to be as accurate as they can be, of course they were limited by -costs and to have better cinematography and the lack of knowledge we have but still they did a good job
>>
>>2724800
The costumes were quite poor and inaccurate. The Romans had tiny shields and weird arm cuffs but the civilian clothing was pretty good. Every other culturewas shit however. Herod the great is portrayed wearing jewish clothing when he was a known admirer of Hellenic culture. Ptolemaic Egypt is empty of Greeks and Cleopatra has Nubian bodyguards with fantasy weapons instead of her historical Galatian bodyguards. The Gauls in the beginning are also wearing fantasy gear with a few bronze age pieces.

We also have decent information about the real Pullo and Vorenus. They were both centurions that had a rivalry and no friendship. Pullo also joined Pompey during the later civil war.
>>
>>2729196
it's understandable that they changed some details about Pullo because they wanted the perspective of both an officer and a grunt in the army. This is shown when they're marching to Greece to join Caesar and Vorenus is riding a horse with the standard while Pullo walks behind with the infantry.
>>
Not bait. Name of the TV show? legit don't know
>>
>it's a Pullo causes a civil war episode
>it's a good guy Vorenus getting fucked again
>>
Are the reforms and laws/proposals by Caesar historically accurate in the show?
>More jobs for citizens because too many slaves had taken most of the work (Mark Antony proxy)
>Given 100 denarii to the people in Triumph episode
>100 more senators (Gallic, Celtic, Plebs)
>>
>>2730041
vorenus is the proto jorah mormont
>>
File: vlcsnap-2017-04-29-14h17m33s959.png (913KB, 1280x738px) Image search: [Google]
vlcsnap-2017-04-29-14h17m33s959.png
913KB, 1280x738px
>>2725070
You fucked your sister, you little pervert! Don't tell me what I will or will not do!
>>
>>2726637
>When in doubt, attak!
I loved this guy
>>
>>2730103
I don't know about the first, but he did do the other two.
Mind you it's not like he actually filled the senate with blue faced celts and long haired gauls. He just put his own supporters in the room to vote for him, and they were basically all plebs yeah (big whoop, like half the senate from the mid republic onward) but toga wearing roman citizens from the italic tribes and cisalpine gaul. He put in people like local magistrates and bankers, people who could be relied upon to easily come and vote.
>>
>The show was inspired by I, Claudius
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-5mg7j_eaI
>>
>>2731035
I loved how they explicitly justified themselves in the show for casting that blonde guy.
>>
>>2723291
>he pays for non-physical media

wow, lad. I knew you anglos were plebs, but thats too much.
>>
>>2731068
what was their reason again? son of a gaul or w/?
>>
>>2729968
It's just called 'Rome''

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rome_%28TV_series%29
>>
>>2731092
How dare you! His ancestors fought at Magnesia and Zama!
>>
>>2723291
netflix in UK. Though for some bizarre reason not in HD.
>>
>>2726482
That was Cato I believe. It was from his sister to Caesar, something like I can't wait to have you between my hips again.
>>
>>2722672
Based post
>>
>>2731068
Come on friend, I know he has a Gallic look about him but he's as true a roman as they come; his ancestors fought at Magnesia and Zama!
>>
>>2722493
This
and
>>2722991
This

>HBO
>lmao everyone just had sex and killed eachother XD
>gay romance side stories for literally no reason at all
>pointless bondage scenes
HBO banks on shocking "middle-America" with homosexuality and violence on their televisions. Overall, it's about the best Roman drama you're going to get.

>>2722672
History pre-'45 was /pol/, though.
>>
WET AS OCTOBER!
>>
File: historical inaccuracies.jpg (122KB, 798x726px) Image search: [Google]
historical inaccuracies.jpg
122KB, 798x726px
>>2722739
You are everything wrong with tv

The muddy dirty brown theme is ruining historical dramas
>>
>>2731611
Is that Spainkino worth watching? I'm interested on how the Spainiards view Cortes
>>
>>2723027
kek'd out loud
>>
File: 1432914375594.jpg (50KB, 703x497px) Image search: [Google]
1432914375594.jpg
50KB, 703x497px
>tfw you'll never have friendship like Titus and Lucius
>>
>>2731622
On balance his own soldiers loved him, he was a greedy asshole who tried to rip them off from their share of the glory and riches multiple times but he made up for it by being extremely intelligent and competent.
>>
>>2731611
>muddy dirty brown theme
Dude have you actually watched the show? It's not brown nor muddy at all.
People are colorfully dressed. Most walls are painted and decorated.
It's really a rather appropriate representation.
>>
File: 1493252130125.jpg (32KB, 571x421px) Image search: [Google]
1493252130125.jpg
32KB, 571x421px
Season 2 sucks.
The actor who plays old Octavian is piss poor and an autist, while the original actor was good.
we waste half the season with Lucius' little brats.
Pullo's QT wife dies and he gets over it by the very next episode
Cicero sucks
The actor who plays Agrippa sucks
We are still forced to pretend Octavia is attractive
Either Lucius or Pullo are personally involved in every single event
Bah
At least based James Purefoy put in a good performance. Antony's scenes are the only ones worth watching
>>
>>2732928
I guess what's he's trying to say that it's dusty and looks normal, unlike the rome that is usually represented as brick and stones
>>
>>2733002
>We are still forced to pretend Octavia is attractive
Are you a faggot? She's totally pretty enough to be considered 'attractive'.
I mean she's not gorgeous 11/10, but attractive? Totally yes.
>>
>>2733002
Agrippa was shit I'm with you there.
>>
File: rome.jpg (58KB, 630x419px) Image search: [Google]
rome.jpg
58KB, 630x419px
>>2733014
Take a look at her inbred looking chin lad
no wonder Antony cucked her with Attia
>>2733027
He sounds like someone from a Robin Hood movie.
That whole romance was the worst thing on tv since 9/11
>>
File: chiara-mastalli-clanok[1].jpg (32KB, 470x353px) Image search: [Google]
chiara-mastalli-clanok[1].jpg
32KB, 470x353px
>>2733043
>no wonder Antony cucked her with Attia
It was just a marriage of convenience.

And everyone can look ugly in the right position. I mean look at the fucking manjaw on your Pullo's qt wife.
>>
File: stirring_up_001.jpg (32KB, 394x382px) Image search: [Google]
stirring_up_001.jpg
32KB, 394x382px
>>2733002
>We are still forced to pretend Octavia is attractive
I found her attractive and masturbated to half of the scenes she was in, even the non-sexual ones.
>>
>>2732928
those livia and octavian sex scenes fairly cringe
>>
>>2722672
>and then this happened

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kitos_War
>>
>>2733084
Sex scenes are fairly bad in general in this show. Cleopatra/Pullo and Octavia/Agrippa are the only half decent ones.
Still, the point was about them dressing well. Which they do.
>>
Why is it that when Octavian first met his wife he said his fetish was being beat during sex but the one time we see him having sex he was smacking HER around?
>>
>>2733107
>he said his fetish was being beat during sex
No, he said beating HER was his fetish.
>occasionally in our marriage I'll beat you; this not because you have been a bad wife, but because it gives me sexual pleasure
>>
>>2733067
lel she was supposed to be a Germanic slave but it turns out the actor who played her is an actual native of Rome

kek
>>
>>2733119
Fug must have remembered incorrectly
>>
>>2733120
And the actual "pure aventine stock" roman wife is a fucking indian.
I guess actual italians don't fit the skin tone americans expect italians to have..
>>
File: Indira-Varma-Feet-288656.jpg (136KB, 630x1000px) Image search: [Google]
Indira-Varma-Feet-288656.jpg
136KB, 630x1000px
>>2733127
Niobe is half Indian actually and honestly you can kind of tell most of the time
>>
>>2733137
>honestly you can kind of tell most of the time
Right? It's hard to tell what, but there's something in her face that just screams it. Something in the chin and nose.
If she had a fuller face she'd pass for full indian easy.
>>
>>2733084
>Octavian
>sex scenes

reeeeeeeee
some people should just not be sexualized
>>
>>2733159
I think he meant poo in the loo with that sitting pose
>>
File: 23.jpg (722KB, 3008x2000px) Image search: [Google]
23.jpg
722KB, 3008x2000px
>>2733159
Yeah it's weird, she comes very close to what you'd expect an archetypical ancient Roman woman to look like yet at the same time very far away as well because you can just tell something is not quite right...
>>
>>2733171
>she comes very close to what you'd expect an archetypical ancient Roman woman to look like
She really doesn't. She looks like a tanned englishwoman, and then all of a sudden the indian genes strike.
>>
should've started earlier and had some Crassus

http://www.bbc.co.uk/cbbc/watch/p019t4cj?collection=horrible-histories-songs
>>
File: I Never Asked for These Fries.jpg (61KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
I Never Asked for These Fries.jpg
61KB, 600x450px
>>2725708
>It enabled GoT.
>>
>>2731611
>Post celebrates the series as a realistic medium between 50's films and the Gladiator
>Plebeian favelas and legionaries fighting in Gaul should be colourful and shiny
The show was gritty where it should and flashy when appropriate. You're mad for no reason.
>>
>>2733492
this
>>
>>2733002
I thought Cicero was good. I mean if their intention was to get me to want to punch his stupid fucking face every scene he's in then their casting worked.
>>
>I didn't know the man existed until he didn't.
Juno's cunt why does this show have such great lines?
>>
>>2733043
>Take a look at her inbred looking chin lad
Octavia was a qt...would treat her right.
>>
>>2733067
Would you eat a porridge that she spitted on, anon?
>>
>of course. i expect not public service from a jew
>>
>>2722498
>We'll have the newsreader announce it
>Don't be ridiculous, no one believes anything he says
Two seasons of Atia's bullshit were worth it for that one exchange
>>
>>2734824
when was this?
>>
>>2734844
I think it was right before Antony goes to Egypt, Octavian's qt fuccboi assistant tells Atia they can pass of a bullshit excuse by getting the newsreader to say it
>>
>>2726497
there's an actual sitcom called "Plebs", it's kind of shitty but also kind of funny
>>
>Terms? Of surrender? Fucking slave talk!
>>
Woe on to Rufus Tranquilus, then
>>
File: 1493145261887.jpg (85KB, 804x802px) Image search: [Google]
1493145261887.jpg
85KB, 804x802px
>yfw the episode in season 3 where somebody is executed with a brazen bull for stealing fruit
>>
>>2733958
Which episode and character was this?
>>
>>2735453
>brazen bull
Before Vorenus rescued Pullo from the arena
>>
>>2733002
YEah season 2 Octavian is Benedictine Cumberbatch, whilst the first one looks groomed to rule
I like Cicero, because it really makes you annoyed at how political he got, but if he wasn't political he wouldn't have practiced his speeches as much and been the master of prose.
Also why didn't they keep to his original death as that was far cooler imho
>>
File: IMG_7626.jpg (39KB, 411x532px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7626.jpg
39KB, 411x532px
>>2722739
REEEEEEEEEWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEWEEEEEEEEEEEEEE GAULS GET OUT
Also should the centurion have a round shield
>>
>>2735473
So when Vorenus wanted to save his friend but didn't want to be known as a caesaranian
>>
File: definitelywhite.jpg (174KB, 900x598px) Image search: [Google]
definitelywhite.jpg
174KB, 900x598px
>>2733127
>t.
also it was a British production, you half-Arab mongrel creature
>>
>>2733127
Had no fuckijg clue about this
Also no one is the same as 2k years ago simply because of how much rape there is
>>2735521
It was British American and Italian, because HBO wanted BBC liscensing
>>
>>2735478
the younger Octavian actor was decent in master and commander as well.
>>
File: The Army of Herod the Great-16.jpg (125KB, 516x722px) Image search: [Google]
The Army of Herod the Great-16.jpg
125KB, 516x722px
Egypt was a fucking mess.

It is only mentioned that the Ptolemies are Greeks, but the Egypt still looked like Ancient Egypt instead of Ptolemaic Egypt, with bits and pieces of Hellenic influence. You barely saw Hellenic shit anywhere in the Egypt scenes

In addition, while Nubians were still in Egyptian armies, the elite guards wouldve been "Galatian" guardsmen. Who were guards outfitted in the manner of Galatian mercenaries but were not necessarily Galatian themselves. As for the army it would've been terribly Hellenic.

Pic related. "Galatian" style was all the rage in Anatolia, Syria, the Levant, and Egypt because the Celtic mercenaries were a force to be reckoned with in the wars in that region.
>>
File: 1484559877598.jpg (59KB, 395x401px) Image search: [Google]
1484559877598.jpg
59KB, 395x401px
>>2735721
I don't really want to imagine what their depiction of Galatians would've been like considering how bad the Gauls looked
>>
File: rome-hbo.jpg (66KB, 612x458px) Image search: [Google]
rome-hbo.jpg
66KB, 612x458px
>>2733002
Season 2 was the tits, wtf are you talking about?
>Octavian
I liked that Octavian was kind of an autist. It made me think that he was too busy scheming and stacking shit that it made him detached from the common debauchery of the Roman high life, which was exactly the kind of Buzz Killington he was in real life.
>brats
Nigga, the part where Vorenus storms into the literal sex dungeon and pulls his two daughters and illegitimate bastard son to freedom and safety was probably one of the most powerful moments in the entire show
>gets over it
I mean, it's only a guy with a known thuggish streak who fought for Caesar in the Gallic genocide, who probably gang-raped and murdered more bitches than he can remember as he was burning their village to the ground, stealing anything that isn't nailed down, and throwing slaughtered their children into mass graves. He's spent his entire adult life surrounded by death, he's not the kind of guy who's going to let something like that slow him down. But he was still fucking sore about it which is why he choked that arguably cuter bitch to death and unceremoniously dumped her carcass in the Tiber River
>Cicero sucks
Even in real life Cicero was all rhetoric and no action. It made him a great lawyer, but essentially useless in an age where the military has taken over
>The actor who plays Agrippa sucks
I agree that he wasn't the best casting choice. His character did nothing for me
>Octavia
She's like, 6.75/10, bruh. Not drop dead gorgeous, but a killer figure and a complete push over
> personally involved in every single event
It's called the "protagonist". In storytelling mechanics, the protagonist is the one driving the plot forward. In Rome's case, they had two. Making them the protagonists was a great way to give a common man's perspective to some of the most epic events in western history.
>James Purefoy
Totally fucking nailed it. He was a rat bastard and you loved him for it.
>>
>>2722480
>6 foot tall white guy who looks nothing like caesar
>>2722493
>octavian wasn't an autist
he was a turbomanlet nerd
>>
>>2733067
>fucking manjaw
>"2/10 would not bang"
Nigger, you need to lay off the porn for a while, it's totally distorting your perception of reality.
Chiara Mastalli was a sexy little thing in her qt prime when she played Eirene, and she's sexy as hell as a woman in her 30's, too. At least an 8.7/10 would take for long rides in my Lexus through the New England countryside after a nice trip to the Cape for some freshly caught seafood on our way back to the house we just bought to raise our kids in. Total marriage material.
>>
>>2722672
This!
>>
>>2722493
>woman
>not a slut
What?
>>
File: 1o643f.jpg (118KB, 888x499px) Image search: [Google]
1o643f.jpg
118KB, 888x499px
>>2722651
/his/ v /pol/ in one pic
>>
>>2732928
I've watched it over and over, Rome is good because its 2005 and before the full brownwashing, but what you encourage is unforgivable.
>>
>>2733492
They were professional soldiers under men who would beat them for the tiniest infractions, they would have had sparkling clean armour and equipment.
>>
>>2736792
saved
>>
>>2736792
saved
You have done this board a fine service

somebody fucking sticky this picture to the top of the page, already
>>
File: really.jpg (38KB, 600x400px) Image search: [Google]
really.jpg
38KB, 600x400px
>>2735392
>blow your budget on the 1st 2 seasons
>try to go ahead with the 3rd and hire the producers of xena and hercules to do it
what the fuck were they thinking
>>
>>2737215
I didn't find this movie to be bad desu, Deja Thoris should have showed more skin but for the rest it was a pretty good adaption.
>>
File: image28.png (118KB, 292x257px) Image search: [Google]
image28.png
118KB, 292x257px
>>2729968
>>2731116
>People still fall for this
>>
File: mark-anthonyfuck1.gif (490KB, 425x240px) Image search: [Google]
mark-anthonyfuck1.gif
490KB, 425x240px
>>2722991
>>
>>2723360

You ought to watch ”I, Claudius" as it’s a good series but be aware that it’s over 40 years old the low-buck British style of filming makes it look like a stage play.
>>
File: Shogun.jpg (288KB, 1052x1500px) Image search: [Google]
Shogun.jpg
288KB, 1052x1500px
>>2725708
>Also the show proved that something of that scale could be done on TV.

Ahem...
>>
File: 68768465.jpg (85KB, 607x467px) Image search: [Google]
68768465.jpg
85KB, 607x467px
>>2724800
>to make room for Game of Thrones)

GoT didn't come out until four years after Rome was canceled.

As this anon said >>2725708 it was canceled because of corporate shenanigans within HBO.
Thread posts: 213
Thread images: 42

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.