[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So Star Citizen recently went into more detail on the background

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 3

File: Banu.jpg (569KB, 1272x1186px) Image search: [Google]
Banu.jpg
569KB, 1272x1186px
So Star Citizen recently went into more detail on the background of one of the game's alien species known as Banu. They are a merchant-focused species that are nomadic and styled after Bedouin people. One major complaint I've had about them is their history, which is why I brought this topic up here. Quote:
>The background of the Banu is very tricky because we focused in on this idea that they have no real sense of history and that that hasn't held a lot of importance to them so they don't care who invented the merchantman(a type of spaceship they often use) they just care that the merchantman is a ship that works and is effective at what it does. They retain the instruction manual of how to design and build one but they couldn't care less that so and so built it in whatever year on this place because of this reason. It holds no interest to them.
>If they were viewing, like, American history, the walkaway for them would be that America is a country. They wouldn't care that it used to be part of Britain because that doesn't matter anymore because its not a part of Britain anymore and they wouldn't care if this is the independence year because it's independent what difference does it make when it happened.
>So it's about boiling it down to the important facts that they pass on so their history is more like a series of manuals than it is a timeline recording and because of that its been very difficult for humans to have pieced together the Banu history before they met them.
>The big aspect of the thing is that its about accruing stuff. So accruing stuff means you've lived a full life you've been a lot of places you've met a lot of people you've done a lot of things
>its very about living in the present.

I find this inconsistent at best and just plain stupid at worst. My question to you is this: "Is it remotely possible for any sentient species of spacefaring beings to be able to exist considering this philosophy? Or is this just laziness on the part of the writers?"
>>
File: 1483893071987.jpg (52KB, 500x583px) Image search: [Google]
1483893071987.jpg
52KB, 500x583px
>>2721178
I don't see a problem. An alien society would likely value different things than a human society would anyway.

Humans place a lot of value upon their history, but that doesn't necessarily mean an alien race would. Even different human cultures on earth place value upon the concept of history to varying degrees.
>>
>>2721211
I guess what I'm saying is that I don't see how a group of people with such a limited spectrum worldview would be able to get much further than feudal society.

It sounds like they all have memory loss issues. But maybe its just that they are super apathetic. In which case they would quickly lose track of why they are at the place they are in history and start trying things over again that have already been proven to be a failure. Like communism.
>>
File: 1486310047576.jpg (41KB, 500x371px) Image search: [Google]
1486310047576.jpg
41KB, 500x371px
>>2721231
Just because they have a limited worldview doesn't mean they are unmotivated in their efforts towards working for their immediate/future goals as a race.
>>
Yeah it's pretty autistic. I don't think they'd be able to exist IRL. You don't pick and choose the higher order stuff associated with an advanced civilization. If you're able to write manuals about how to construct interstellar trading vessels you damn sure are going to include a section about who made them and how and when.
>>
>>2721271
It sounds like they got the idea from hindu/buddhist artists that rarely get accredited for their works because it takes attention away from the religious figure being portrayed or something, except that has religious significance and this just feels like they are being silly for the sake of it.
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.