[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How does one study philosophy? I bought Plato's dialogues

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

File: 1483754487370.jpg (263KB, 764x551px) Image search: [Google]
1483754487370.jpg
263KB, 764x551px
How does one study philosophy?

I bought Plato's dialogues and the Republic because I thought i'd be a good idea to start at the beginning.

I read The Apology twice and still don't have a complete grasp of what is being said.

Wut do?
>>
2nd bump
>>
3rd bump
>>
>>2712179

I would start with the Presocratics, and go from there. Much of Plato's as well as Aristotle's work is based off of these early philosophers..
>>
>>2712179
Start with light info about Plato and after reading alot of supplementary material explaining and examining his work, read plato.
>>
Have a guide from the nice folks at /lit/. Pretty comprehensive, offers plenty of secondary literature to complement the original writings.
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1y8_RRaZW5X3xwztjZ4p0XeRplqebYwpmuNNpaN_TkgM/edit?pli=1

Might wanna simplify it to a list of whichever texts you feel like reading/studying, by the way, just for easier reference (the doc's like 82 pages, takes a while to load and scroll to wherever you're trying to get).
>>
>>2712179
there's these great starter books that have tons comic-book illustrations that explain things easily.

"philosophy for beginners" by Richard Osborne

If you know exactly what interests you and just want the means to understand a particular text there's books called Readers.

https://www.amazon.com/Nietzsches-Beyond-Good-Evil-Readers/dp/0826473644/ref=sr_1_6?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1493090820&sr=1-6&keywords=Reader+beyond+good+and+evil

Granted some Readers are better than others, but you can do your own research.
>>
>>2712179
By doing it practically
Shall we?
I'll start.
What does it mean for something to be good?
>>
>>2712406
>What does it mean for something to be good?

That is has three edges.
>>
>>2712416
What is it about three edges that's better than other properties?
>>
>>2712406
That it reflects the Divine.
>>
>>2712423

Three is more than two, and fewer than four (the number of Satan).
>>
>>2712428
this is the only correct answer.
>>
>>2712428
What Divine?
As in the triune, omnipotent, omniscient, omni-present omni-benevolent god whose son has two simultaneous natures and of whom Mary is Theotokos?
Or some other Divine?
>>
File: startingwitthegreeks.jpg (1MB, 3672x3024px) Image search: [Google]
startingwitthegreeks.jpg
1MB, 3672x3024px
>>2712179
Use this guide, read up on the pre-Socratics
>>
>>2712429
What is it about more that makes something better? Isn't there goodness in simplicity, and therefore diminution?
>>
>>2712434
>As in the triune, omnipotent, omniscient, omni-present omni-benevolent god whose son has two simultaneous natures and of whom Mary is Theotokos?
I mean, I was going to build up to it but yes.
>>
>>2712448
I just wanted to bypass the typical guff
So now that we're here
Prove he exists
I'm ready for you Anselm
>>
>>2712455
I don't think the best conversation to introduce someone to philosophy is through trying to bridge the gap between Athens and Jerusalem. They're fundamentally opposed. Cf. Job, Kierkegaard, Heidegger, Nishitani, Shestov, Eckhart
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.