[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What are the best texts that explore the life of the Irish under

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 6

File: west bogerania.jpg (10KB, 460x235px) Image search: [Google]
west bogerania.jpg
10KB, 460x235px
What are the best texts that explore the life of the Irish under the rule of England?

Capturing the full extent of existence as a subjugate people from the 1500s on.
>>
>1500s on
There wasn't really any actual subjugation until the late 17th century, until then English rule over Ireland was basically nominal, with English influence being contained to a small area around Dublin
>>
File: eiru1.png (65KB, 787x422px) Image search: [Google]
eiru1.png
65KB, 787x422px
>>2711721
I've studied mostly Scottish History but ill give you what I have and hopefully it will be of some help with where you want to start. (PIC RELATED) the ones that are text files weren't readily available for free so you may have to do some searching. good luck lad
>>
File: eiru1a.png (15KB, 493x174px) Image search: [Google]
eiru1a.png
15KB, 493x174px
>>2711721
>>2711965
(pic related) more books that I found when I first started studying.
>>
>>2711965
>>2711990

Cool, thanks m8!

I'll see what I can do about putting a smattering of them on order at my local biblioteca.
>>
>>2712540
no problem, if you get a chance explain to me what biblioteca is
>>
>>2712635

Oh that's just the common Spanish word for Library.

A slight variation of the Latin word for Library " bibliothēca" which is a also a bit of a loanword in English actually, known to us plainly as bibliotheca, although it's seldom if ever made use of.

Latin itself took the word from the Greeks, who presumably started the trend.
>>
>>2712779

There's actually a variant of this word in a great many European languages, in a sort of continental game of telephone, each adopting it from their neighbor.
>>
>>2712779
everything you see in my pictures that are saved as pdf files can be downloaded free at http://gen.lib.rus.ec
or
https://archive.org/index.php
>>
>>2712855

Superb!

Danke schön!
>>
>>2712887
anytime, good luck with studying and avoiding this place like the plague...something I need to do more of
>>
>>2712887

Though I am sweet on physical copies of a book that I have some tactile and tangible interaction with, literary archives are great.

I simply love how archive.org presents the material in a very convincing guise of a book that you can actually rifle through, cover and all!
>>
File: IMG_1213.jpg (59KB, 358x450px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1213.jpg
59KB, 358x450px
>>2711721
Seconding archive.org
>>
>>2712984
>when your dad tries to tell you about how great cromwell and his principles were and you tell him he dissolved parliament and banned dancing and he doesn't believe you
>>
>>2711721
>subjugate
>not subject
Reminder Drogada did not surrender
>>
>>2712779
REMOVE TRIP
>>
>>2713004
>when you torture a man for his religious beliefs after overthrowing the monarchy for not including your beliefs in the national church
He was our Louis XIV, if napeleon died like Cromwell then France would have modernised faster
>>
>>2713154

Did you know that Napoleon was actually a direct force for modernization in France?

He shook up old institution, thought, and property dominance. The effects of his rule even became an engine of progress for Germany, most notably by irrefutably disbanding the HRE, which had by then long existed as a ridiculous mess. This allowed greater ease for the emergence of a true state in that region.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.