[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What made middle eastern pagan or heretical groups such as the

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

File: Yazidis.jpg (585KB, 2400x1800px) Image search: [Google]
Yazidis.jpg
585KB, 2400x1800px
What made middle eastern pagan or heretical groups such as the Yazidis and Alawites survive for so much longer and much more successfully than pagan and heretical groups in Europe? It can't just have been mountains since that didn't work for the Cathars.
>>
>>2708089
Bowing their heads and saying "yes, effendi" when the christian heretics were all "FUCK OFF WE DON'T NEED NO POPE, ALSO YOU'RE NOT THE KING OF ME"
>>
>>2708089
They had complex methods of hiding their beliefs and generally cooperated with Muslim rulers. Occasionally a Sultan would get the religious fervor bug and would take heads but even then it was a front for political reasons most of the time.
>>
Taqiyya
>>
>>2708089
Islamic empires generally left them alone if they paid the Jizya
>>
>>2708089
I wonder how long Zoroastrianism would have held out in a Christian Persia.
>>
Mountains, isolation because of mountains, lack of anything worth genociding you over because of mountains, mountain terrain favouring defenders, and a crazy amount of paranoia.
Mostly mountains, tho.
>>
>>2708089
they are ethno-religious groups, like the jews but smaller
>>
>>2708089
>heretical groups didn't survive in Europe
Ever heard of protestantism?
>>
>>2710544
It would have perished fairly quickly but then you would have a ton of local saints doing the same thing the Zoroastrian faith did and now it would be veneration instead of worshiping
>>
>>2708102
"AM I BEING EXCOMMUNICATED?"
>>
File: pope_benedict_xvi1.jpg (49KB, 500x664px) Image search: [Google]
pope_benedict_xvi1.jpg
49KB, 500x664px
>>2710598
We tried and tried and tried to kill off the Protestants, but a bunch of fucking kings and princes found it convenient to support them, and we just didn't have the manpower or the money to wipe them all out.
>>
File: Tomkins-Gold-Toilet-1200.jpg (191KB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
Tomkins-Gold-Toilet-1200.jpg
191KB, 1200x1200px
>>2712863
Those palaces and golden thrones sure are expensive
>>
>>2708089
Abu bakr is not Mohamed's inheritor.
>>
Catholics were willing to work with Pagans in particular. They merged Pagan and Christian practices.

Early Catholics were also willing to negotiate the rules of their religion with other Christians.

Lots of the Christian Heretical groups were pants on head retarded and didn't last long before rejoining the Catholic Church as monastic orders under the Pope. This is how most heretical groups survive even to this day.
>>
>>2710556
>geographical determinism
Jared pls go, you're gay
>>2708089
They were persecuted when the romans ruled, then the islamic empire came along and gave them protection in exchange for taxes
>>
>>2713090
>tfw no one faith because of Luther and the last basilieus
>>
>>2710544
>youwill never visit a Nestorian Iran
Feels fucking terrible, man
>>
>>2712860
Kek
>>
>>2708089
bump
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.