[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>France in WW2 discussion >'Maginot line failed! Germans

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

File: why.png (43KB, 542x602px) Image search: [Google]
why.png
43KB, 542x602px
>France in WW2 discussion
>'Maginot line failed! Germans just went around it!'

I can see why some people move away from WW2 discussions over time, it's just a constant influx of people who know nothing about the topic.
>>
WW2 seems exciting when you first get into history

Then you gradually move away from it once you broaden your horizons

But eventually it lures you back in once you have a greater appreciation of history and the remarkable scope of it beyond the military side
>>
>>2707481
But they invaded Belgium and attacked the Marginot Line. It was ineffective as shit
>>
>>2707503
Fuck off yank I'm not going to go over this again
>>
File: 1486664777717.png (48KB, 460x568px) Image search: [Google]
1486664777717.png
48KB, 460x568px
>>2707513
If you don't have a pasta at this point then you're a newfag who needs to lurkmoar

>Yank

An hero
>>
The French were retarded and fought like shit

Either post something to refute this or fuck off.
>>
>>2707481

The maginot line saved France indirectly

>forced the germs to go through belgium
>wich in turn forced england to enter the war
>wich in turn forced germs to nuke cargo ships
>wich in turn angered the USA
>wich in turn lead to USA invasion
>>
>>2707559
Are you fucking retarded? That's WW1
>>
>>2707572
it's ww2 too
>>
>>2707582
Ah yes, remember when Britain only declared war on Germany in 1940 during the invasion of Belgium?
>>
>>2707582
England had already entered the war when Germany went past the Maginot Line.
>>
>>2707481
I haven't studied WW2 that much, but isn't the battle for France just the realization of the Schlieffen plan? One of the main issues with the plan in WW1 was just the impossibility to move the troops along the infrastructure in a fast enough manner to overwhelm the French. Only so many men could walk abreast across a road. Panzer divisions and improved infrastructure changed that. They could overwhelm positions in surges. Iirc, Belgium also didn't fortify their front as much as they should've, but unlike WW1 they couldn't bog down the combined arms tactics of the Luftwaffe and Wehrmacht. In WW1 they gave France weeks to prepare their front. In WW2, they were able to get to i fortified French positions in a matter of days before any meaningful defense could be organized in areas keto covered by the maginot line.
>>
>>2707609
Unfortified*. Correct me if I'm wrong.
>>
>>2707609
The West had literally more than 6 wartime months to prepare. They even invaded Germany and then retreated.
>>
>>2707582
France was called into the war as an ally of Britain who kept the promise to protect poland from german invasion, The allies declaring war on germany was the start of world war 2 (Although hitler was given ample warning not to invade poland)
>>
>>2707620
Can you Give me more specifics or reliable sources to read up on. Not disagreeing, just genuinely interested since WW2 didn't interest me too much. Why was France so quickly overwhelmed? Why is blitzkrieg so often attributed to why France was taken out so early? Was it more impactful at the micro level and the French couldn't keep up in battles?
>>
>>2707635
France's low and mid-level officers had practically no authority to think for themselves. Meaning when the Germans showed up they spent hours making phone calls instead of fighting back. Meanwhile, German officers, like Rommel, were given much more freedom, meaning they could more easily take advantage of brief opportunities.

Basically, France's centralized command structure was good for WW1's huge, slow movements, but was garbage at dealing with WW2's sudden advances.
>>
>>2707635
Google 'the phony war' for the months prior.

>Why was France so quickly overwhelmed?
Outdated and brittle groupthink in the French high command preparing for another round of static warfare

>Why is blitzkrieg so often attributed to why France was taken out so early?
Blitzkrieg is founded upon a quick and decisive victory and this strategy was executed perfectly.

>Was it more impactful at the micro level and the French couldn't keep up in battles?
Superior organisation, training etc. etc. at the German level overwhelmed the superior-or-equal equipment (yet outdated doctrine) at the French level. There's a lot more to discuss on the 'micro' level due: more aircraft, more radios, German misson-tactics, etc.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.