[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>146BC >destroy Carthage >destroy Corinth Where the

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

File: 134959556781.jpg (74KB, 677x782px) Image search: [Google]
134959556781.jpg
74KB, 677x782px
>146BC
>destroy Carthage
>destroy Corinth
Where the romans justified in losing their shit or was it turning point in the "style" of roman imperialism? It just makes no sense why Rome would destroy not just one, but two gigantic trade hubs the exact same year.
>>
>>2701783
The destruction of Carthage was mostly because the Romans were scared like shit from the Carthaginians. They probably got spooked even more when Hannibal turned to be an efficient administrator as well, making Carthage wealthy again.

It's sad but when you look at it from Rome's perspective... it was justified. The Punic Wars were 20 years each and laid waste and slaughter to both nations. Rome lost 20% of it's male population in the second.

They just couldn't risk Carthage rising up and challenging them for a third round.
>>
>>2701783
eat shit you penny-pinching profligate,
>>
>tfw carthage was literally a semitic merchant empire bringing north africans into italy
>>
>>2701800
This. It unfortunate that they sacked it since a lot of history was lost that way. But rome was clearly looking to expand and couldn't risk them rebuilding for the 3rd fucking time.

The only other course of action I could see happening would be that rome subjugate them like they did with other empires later on. Which would make for a very interesting alternate time line.
>>
>>2701800
>>2701896
>>2701905
Fair enough for carthage, but what about Corinth?

It's like they nuked two economic centres the very same year. Surely it's not just a coincidence?
>>
I've read that during the Macedonian wars that the Greeks were horrified and furious at the Romans barbarity. The Diadochi tended to spare prisoners and cities for good relations, the Romans just wanted loot so they sacked, murdered and enslaved their way across Greece and Macedon. In many cities, including those allied to Rome, many held speeches supporting the Macedonian side and calling the Romans for vile and brutish barbarians.
>>
>>2701905
Not in a million years. Carthage was the only nation that Rome feared (with good reason, I might add) and there was no way the two of them could exist in the same timeline. Too much bad blood, too much casualties and too much hate between them.

Alexander conquered Persia in 10 years while the Punic Wars lasted 40 years with so much bloodshed that wasn't seen until the Middle Ages. One of them had to go for the other to exist.

And even if Hannibal didn't manage to resurrect Carthage from the dead, make it wealthy again, so and so, the Romans would still have found a reason to end them. Hannibal just accelerated the process.

The only way I see these two nations surviving is if Hannibal won the Second Punic War, since he only wanted to humiliate the Romans and not destroy them. Although we have no idea what that humiliation would have spelled out for Rome. Maybe the same thing that they did to Carthage.. who knows. It's pretty sad that such a great nation vanished, like they were straight out of some fantasy novel story.

>>2702064
It was to put an example for the rest of the Greeks not to rebel against Roman rule. Also, considering they destroyed Carthage in the same year you can imagine that the Romans didn't want to fuck around anymore. No more "Mr. Niceguy" with the Greeks, so to speak.
>>
>>2702202
Wasn't that mainly aetolian league propaganda?

The romans only annexed greece after the 4th macedonian war, during the previous 3 they were quite happy to sort out the mess and simply leave afterward. They even declared Greece a land of the "free" after the second war ended in 196BC and pulled out all their troops out the region by 194BC. Sounds to me like greek butthurt at not getting free loot after the romans BTFO'd the antigonids.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.