[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How important was the 710 Siege of Constantinople in European

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

File: Byzantium3.png (61KB, 805x673px) Image search: [Google]
Byzantium3.png
61KB, 805x673px
How important was the 710 Siege of Constantinople in European history, is it a bigger deal then Tours?
>>
>>2701158
Tours is literally the most overrated battle in history (repelling a raid ----> "OMG PREVENTED ALL OF EUROPE FROM BECOMING MUSLIM"), so yes.
>>
>>2701159
It's undeniable Tours is "overrated" as the umayyads were far more focused on the byzantine, but at the same time they did conquer spain and if they hadn't been checked in france they probably would have carried on expanding. Therefore it is logically of larger significance to the europeans than it would be to the muslims.
>>
>Byzantine falls
>suddenly East Europe is muslim
>fuckers cockblock the silk road
>Venice dies due to blocked trade slowly ending the renaissance
>Portugal and Spain has to find new route causes the age of discovery jump starting the Euro domination
>>
>>2701548
>710
>venice
>portugal
>spain
you are too early by several hundreds of years
>>
>>2701247
>ignore that Odo was still around, or the fighting around Landeugnoc that would continue for literally decades afterwards.
>think that if Tours had gone differently, what was essentially another country hundreds of miles away would have been affected.
>>
>>2701708
Tours was important because of the message it sent more than tactical or strategic outcomes, I think.

By and large the history of Christian/Muslim warfare up to that point had pretty much been defeat over and over again when it counted, and I assume a lot of European rulers feared Muslim incursions because of that.

Of course I am not extremely well educated on this topic
>>
>>2701548
>It was the ERE
>Eastern Europe wasn't Muslim, most of it never would even after centuries of Ottoman rule
>The Silk Road wasn't ever blocked, and instead flourished in the 15th and 16th century
>Venice was the biggest profiteer of this trade throughout the era, establishing an effective monopoly
>It was this Venetian monopoly which caused the Iberians to seek new lands and trade routes
>>
>>2701159

>overrated, repelling a raid

Right, because the Arabs had absolutely no intention of expanding into France
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.