[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How are the online (and real life) communities for Latin and

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 1

File: greek art6.jpg (261KB, 1280x800px) Image search: [Google]
greek art6.jpg
261KB, 1280x800px
How are the online (and real life) communities for Latin and Ancient Greek? I am interested in learning one (and perhaps the other in the future) and getting involved with its community and neopaganist movements. I am more interested in Greek literature and Greece in general, but at the same time, the community for Latin seems to be significantly larger. I am also interested in living Latin/living Greek, and have the full intention of learning whichever I pick to spoken fluency as well as written fluency. I have already learned a language on my own, so I know what this entails. As I stated above, I am also interested neopaganism, specifically polytheistic reconstructionism. I know that things like Nova Roma and Hellenismos exist for these things, but they seem to be very inactive.

All advice and general information are welcome.
>>
But it's used by Catholics. In my opinion Jove would be disappointed in you for caring about a language assimilated to Catholicism. Clearly he never liked it himself.
>>
>>2700658
That is honestly one of the things that makes Latin far more unappealing. About half of the Latin community is Catholic and treat it as a holy Christian language. Even that being said, the neopagan community of Latin is still seemingly larger than the entire Ancient Greek community. Ancient Greek is largely untainted, but it still has some Christians who learn Koine to read the New Testament. Ancient Greek, as a language, is definitely more interested to me, and I feel more of an attachment to it, but I am very much interested in using classical languages as spoken languages and the communities that are devoted to this, and Ancient Greek seems to have a very small community. Odds are I will choose Ancient Greek anyway.

I am also curious about what you mean by 'Clearly he never liked it himself.' I do agree with you already on this point, but I would like to hear what you personally mean by this.
>>
Not hating just curious, but why OP? What draws you to dead languages more than some of the more useful living ones?
>>
>>2700737
I already know two useful living languages, English and French. These have a lot of speakers, but they are also both entirely modern, and have pretty much no connexion to antiquity or neopaganism (both of which interest me.) Organisations like Nova Roma really interest me though, and I have spoken to a few people online who are involved in these things. I also want to read ancient texts in their original language. Greek poetry, like the Iliad and the Odyssey themselves, do not even maintain their original poëtic merit in English. The dactylic hexameter does not work, and the original word choice becomes meaningless. Reading a translation is reading someone else's interpretation.

All of that being said, I agree with you to some extent. I would not recommend that anyone learn a dead (for now) language if he has not already learned a living one.
Thread posts: 5
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.