[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Have all cultures had a concept of god/s, magic, ghosts, etc,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 4

File: dancingpepe.jpg (25KB, 800x536px) Image search: [Google]
dancingpepe.jpg
25KB, 800x536px
Have all cultures had a concept of god/s, magic, ghosts, etc, or have some been without superstition? Was just thinking how weird it would be if another culture made contact with you and you had no conceptual framework for their religious behaviors.
>>
File: Final form.png (76KB, 657x527px) Image search: [Google]
Final form.png
76KB, 657x527px
"According to Everett, the Pirahã have no concept of a supreme spirit or god, and they lost interest in Jesus when they discovered that Everett had never seen him"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pirah%C3%A3
>>
>>2700531

They have no concept of believing second-hand information. They believe in what is best translated as spirits in their world, which we would describe as the ecology of a rainforest.

All this tribe asks is what any atheist asks: tell me why you believe in god. When no answer is forthcoming, or when the answer is 'some guy told me', they choose to reject your claim.
>>
There's an atheist tribe in South America who believes in ghosts

Humans naturally attribute agency to events to remain on the safe side

A man who hears cracking twigs and thinks "LION!" has better odds of survival than a man who assumes it's just the wind
>>
>>2700531
Continuing that particular sentence is pretty useful.

"However, they do believe in spirits that can sometimes take on the shape of things in the environment. These spirits can be jaguars, trees, or other visible, tangible things including people."
>>
>>2700550
Depends on the atheist.

I was born into an atheist family and simply don't see enough proof for the supernatural. We never discussed religion, it's just unbelievable.

If there was enough evidence an agnostic atheist would believe. But all experiments have yielded no evidence of paranormal activity.
>>
>>2700553

Not atheist, skeptical. If you say that they have to believe something on faith, they tell you to give them a practical reason.
>>
>>2700550
Then why do you believe in evolution, tough guy?
>>
File: questionmarkanimegirl.png (129KB, 314x278px) Image search: [Google]
questionmarkanimegirl.png
129KB, 314x278px
>>2700599

>The only evidence for evolution is "some guy told me"
>>
>>2700599

I have read on the subject, and it does not contain internal contradictions, and it does produce accurate predictions.

You should have asked 'why do you believe in science'.
>>
>>2700599
2/10
>>
>>2700591
Maybe that's why there are only 420 of them.
>>
>>2700613
Pretty much.
What have you done personally to test the hypothesis of evolution based on the evidence that you individually have seen with your own eyes?
I'm going to go out on a limb here and say absolutely nothing.
>>
File: smughomu.png (444KB, 750x463px) Image search: [Google]
smughomu.png
444KB, 750x463px
>>2700661

>What have you done personally to test the hypothesis of evolution based on the evidence that you individually have seen with your own eyes?

>he's never gone to a museum and looked at fossils
>>
>>2700661
>goes to museum
>yes these really do look like one came from the other
tested
>>
>>2700655

Maybe. Maybe believing in absurd and insane and evil nonsense is an adaptive trait.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.