[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why were ancient Greece and Rome considered great civilizations

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

File: 1459250213903.jpg (59KB, 655x527px) Image search: [Google]
1459250213903.jpg
59KB, 655x527px
Why were ancient Greece and Rome considered great civilizations when they were too dumb to harness electricity or invent airplanes?
>>
dumb frogposter
>>
File: no.png (9KB, 205x246px) Image search: [Google]
no.png
9KB, 205x246px
>>2696126

delet this
>>
>>2696122
History needs to be judged in the context of its time. Electricity and flight are too high technological jumps from the Classical Era to be demanded so that a civilization can be called great.

Besides, imagine how people 2000 years from now will think about now. "Why is civilization X considered to be great if they didn't even invent teleportation and dyson spheres?"
>>
>romans were too dumb to
>Mfw they invented cement 2000 years ago
>Mfw we still use that all over the world today
>Influential in the creation of the first modern democracy
>All our months are named after their gods and great roman people
That's not even scratching the surface. I know this is bait but seriously Romans were fucking geniuses. Greeks did shit as well but I don't know much about Greeks as I do Romans so I'll let some other historianigger explain that
>>
>>2696158
>All our months are named after their gods and great roman people
>yfw you notice weekdays are just the Interpretatio germanica of the roman septimana
Monday = Moon day = dies Luna
Tuesday = Tyr's day = dies Martis
Wednesday = Odin's day = dies Mercurii
Thursday = Thor's day = dies Iovis
Friday = Freyja's day = dies Veneris
Saturday = Saturn's day = dies Saturni
Sunday = Sun's day = dies Solis
>>
>>2696122

It's just a bad meme. Everyone knows deep down inside that modern USA is the pinnacle of human civilization, man on moon, atom bomb, internet, come on.
>>
>>2696392
It's amazing how they were able to keep these influences for so long. Europeans really liked the Roman works, there's a lot of shit we use the Romans either made popular or invented. Planets named after their gods, Latin used in all sorts of common languages today, days being name after Romans, it's really a testament to their greatness. But while I may be a Romaboo, I acknowledge their flaws. They stole a lot of their inventions, like the sun dial, and only made it commonplace. They also were pretty immoral when it comes to sex, and I'm not talking about orgies n shiet, I'm talking about men fucking little boys. Romans were cool but pretty weird.
>>
>>2696491
>They stole a lot of their inventions
That's kind of a bullshit concept.
You can't steal knowledge, only the claim to discovery.
Which the romans never fucking did, because nobody gave a shit back then.

>They also were pretty immoral when it comes to sex, and I'm not talking about orgies n shiet, I'm talking about men fucking little boys.
Par for the fucking course at that time, everyone did it. The romans actually considered it degenerate as fuck, but hey since when did that stop people from doing something?
>>
>>2696122
Why do you need modern tech when you have a shit ton of slaves?
>>
>>2696576

I would rather have a computer than a black roommate desu.
>>
>>2696531
Yeah I guess I phrased that wrong, but what I meant was not all the inventions they used were their own. But yeah they were pretty good with technology and a lot of the time immoral shit like that was considered degenerate as fuck, but yeah I agree
>>2696596
desu there was no race factor they had other colored slaves in rome and greece. Even "white" slaves (depending on what race you call white)
>>
>>2696623
>depending on what race you call white
No, they had white slaves, period.
Gauls and germans were easily the most common slaves in Italy, and I would like to see what kind of fuck wouldn't consider them "white".
>>
>>2696649
/pol n shiet I guess
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.