[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why weren't there any witch trials in the ottoman empire?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 5

File: image.jpg (91KB, 670x670px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
91KB, 670x670px
Why weren't there any witch trials in the ottoman empire?
Is it because tgeir christians were orthodox?
>>
we had our hands full with vampires
>>
>>2694865
>>2694865
>>2694865
>>
>>2694861
Unmarried, unfucked women weren't a thing
>>
Christians in the Ottoman empire literally were Orthodox.
It's that witch trials was mostly a Protestant thing. To Catholics and Orthodox Christians, believing in magic or witchcraft at all would be heresy.
>>
>>2694881
I feel I should point out there are practices and people in the Orthodox and Catholic Church which an anthropologist would certainly compare to occult practices in other religions.

The only real difference is while an occultist might attribute his practice to a system of cause and effect, or the power of a non-Christian deity, the Catholic/Orthodox attribute it to the Holy Spirit
>>
There were no trials in the Ottoman Empire.
>>
>>2694865
I could only find a story about a jannisary which turned into vampire and terrorized some villagers till some ottoman judge beheaded the corpse and another where suleiman appearantly went werewolf hubting with his guard in the sewers of Istanbul.
There was nothing about witches so I was wondering if the same craze also happened atleast in the balkans.
>>
File: IMG_1112.jpg (73KB, 500x700px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1112.jpg
73KB, 500x700px
>Some of the healers and diviners historically accused of witchcraft have considered themselves mediators between the mundane and spiritual worlds, roughly equivalent to shamans.[35]
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Witchcraft
>>
>>2694881
There were many witch trials during the black death, long before the Reformation.
>>
File: Image 38.gif (908KB, 470x258px) Image search: [Google]
Image 38.gif
908KB, 470x258px
pharmakeia: the use of medicine, drugs or spells
Original Word: φαρμαkεία, ας, ἡ
Part of Speech: Noun, Feminine
Transliteration: pharmakeia
Phonetic Spelling: (far-mak-i'-ah)
Short Definition: magic, sorcery, enchantment
Definition: magic, sorcery, enchantment.

5331 pharmakeía (from pharmakeuō, "administer drugs") – properly, drug-related sorcery, like the practice of magical-arts, etc. (A. T. Robertson).
>>
>>2694861
We were too busy going "wtf?" arresting people for desecrating corpses claiming they were bloodsucking monsters
>>
>>2694916
some years ago i vaguely remember reading about some guy in romania whose parent died and he felt constanly sick and thought he was haunted by the parent who turned into a vampire
he felt better when he unburied the corpse, put a stake through its heart and buried it again

during the plague in italy some were accused of being "untori" or oilers, people who spread the black plague by oiling doors and locks, poisoning fountains or something similar
>>
File: IMG_1114.jpg (86KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1114.jpg
86KB, 400x400px
Definition of pharmakos
plural pharmakoi \-ˌkȯi\
: a person often already condemned to death sacrificed in ancient Greece as a means of purification or atonement for a city or community
>>
>>2694861
Interestingly, the second law introduced by the revolutionary Serbian government in 1807 (the first one was a law that created the government) was a law forbidding witch hunts.
I've never found anything else on witch hunts, and the book itself stated that there were no records or traditions of witch hunts, and that the only indicator of their existence is one article in that law.
However, vampire traditions were widespread. Piercing the Jugular and the Carotid, staking, and beheading of the dead were common.
Tho, vampires and vampire like creatures are present in many cultures the term is from the Serbian language, and was first used by the Austrian newspapers reporting on vampiric activity and the killing of vampires in the early 1700s, the most famous case being in 1725.
How the Serbian vampire differs from the modern version is the power to transform into moths and butterflies, and they usually stalked water mills.
>>
File: IMG_1115.jpg (198KB, 850x640px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1115.jpg
198KB, 850x640px
“I never once considered calling him [Manson] Jesus Christ until the police came asking: “Where’s Jesus Christ? We want to crucify him.” They started that.”

- Nancy “Brenda” Pitman, 1971 (Source: The Modesto Bee)

>Manson believed in what he called "Helter Skelter", a term he took from the Beatles' song of the same name. Manson believed Helter Skelter to be an impending apocalyptic race war, which he described in his own version of the lyrics to the Beatles' song. He believed the murders would help precipitate that war. From the beginning of his notoriety, a pop culture arose around him in which he ultimately became an emblem of insanity, violence and the macabre.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Manson
>>
>In January 20, 1968, Tate married Roman Polanski, her director and co-star in 1967's The Fearless Vampire Killers. On August 9, 1969, Tate, along with four others, was murdered by members of the Manson Family in the home she shared with Polanski. At the time of her death, she was eight-and-a-half months pregnant with the couple's son.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sharon_Tate

"Roman Polanski sexual abuse case. In March 1977, film director Roman Polanski was arrested and charged in Los Angeles with five offenses against Samantha Gailey, a 13-year-old girl – rape by use of drugs, perversion, sodomy, lewd and lascivious act upon a child under 14, and furnishing a controlled substance to a minor ..."
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.