[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Was the Mckinley administration the birth of American Imperialism?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

File: 25_william_mckinley.jpg (192KB, 800x452px) Image search: [Google]
25_william_mckinley.jpg
192KB, 800x452px
Was the Mckinley administration the birth of American Imperialism?

>Spanish american war
>overseas territories for the first time
>Followed by Roosevelt and Taft, who kept it going.
>Wilson campaigns on stopping it, but gets us into the First World War

And here we are. Plus he was a NEW YORKAH.

>Emma Goldman posters will be shot
>>
>>2691220
Andrew Jacksons, dog
>>
>>2691225

While Jackson did expand the country, it was just "filling in the map". I was thinking more in the overseas territories, involvement on the world stage type stuff.
>>
>>2691220
>Plus he was a NEW YORKAH.
He was born in Niles, Ohio and lived practically his entire life in the state.

Am I misunderstanding your post or what?
>>
>>2691220
>>2691315

Wow I'm retarded, he assassinated was in buffalo

(OP commits sudoku)
>>
Why did he love tariffs so much? Did he hate freedom?
>>
>>2691369

Becuase back then we actually made things in this country and tariffs were good for american industry
>>
>>2691416
>tariffs were good for american industry
Cheap imports, healthy competition and creative destruction are good for industry.

What about the decline in moral values? A temporary downturn does not justify preventing your fellow citizens from trading freely with who they wish after all.
>>
>>2691220

American imperialism had been developing for years before McKinley. Hell, we would have annexed Hawaii in 1893 if Harrison hadn't lost his reelection campaign.
>>
Well, all expansion is imperialism therefore it could have technically started with the northwestern ordinance and continued through the Mexican American war.

Otherwise I'd say Grant's attempt to annex the Dominican Republic started American imperialism.
>>
>>2691767

I've never heard of this before, what the hell were they thinking?
>>
>>2691925
DR's president tried to get someone, anyone, to annex the island. It had a port that would've been a great boon for the Navy IIRC and Grant, as a way to counter white racism, planned to allow blacks to emigrate there as a way of fucking over white Southerners by taking away their labor force.
>>
>>2691940

Had that happened, I assume they would be like Puerto Rico today. Would we have taken Haiti as well?
>>
>>2691220
One could argue US imperialism started with the Polk administration.
>Mexican-American War fought to take the California ports in order to establish Pacific trade
>Threatening war with Britain over B.C territory
>Filibustering in Caribbean/Latin/S. America

Once the US had control over the land from the Atlantic to the Pacific all that was needed was a railroad system to link it together. If it wasn't for the problems of the Civil War and Reconstruction I believe the U.S would have acquired overseas possessions much earlier than 1898.

One could also argue that the U.S had imperialist ambitions as early as the Monroe administration.
>>
>>2691995
>Would we have taken Haiti as well?
The possibility of that was one of the reasons Charles Sumner was so against it in addition to thinking the process of annexing it was corrupt and was only done to benefit rich Americans and Baez (DR's president) who he believed was a dictator. Baez wanted to do it because of aggression from Haiti and the fact the country was an unstable shit hole and he believed it'd do better under US control having better access for its goods to US and European markets.

It wasn't like Puerto Rico per se in that one of the reasons for annexation is that it would eventually apply for statehood instead of just being a tax leech. Baez had actually tried to get Santo Domingo annexed earlier under Johnson for the same reasons (especially Haitian aggression) but congress refused because they hated Johnson.

Vote ended in a tie meaning it didn't pass and the two biggest opponents were the afforementioned Sumner and Carl Schurz who really, really did not like the idea of mixed race people becoming citizens.

Schurz is an interesting guy because he was born in Prussia and took part in the 1848 revolution there before emigrating to the United States. He was an abolitionist (but really did not like blacks and the idea of miscegenation) and fought as a general in the Union Army during the Civil War. After the war he was one of the main people behind a German-language newspaper called the Westliche Post which was notable as the first paper to employ Joseph Pulitzer.
>>
>>2691220
>NEW YORKAH
He was so Ohioan he shat scarlet & grey.
>>
>>2691940
>deporting niggers to the Caribbean
That would be swell. Instead they all moved to the northern states.
>>
File: 50fea3d2bcfcf.jpg (215KB, 900x1350px) Image search: [Google]
50fea3d2bcfcf.jpg
215KB, 900x1350px
>>2692108
what could have been if it weren't for northern aggression
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.