[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What did fundamentalist Presbyterians in the 1920s and 30s

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 212
Thread images: 30

File: descent of the modernists.png (573KB, 1024x1004px) Image search: [Google]
descent of the modernists.png
573KB, 1024x1004px
What did fundamentalist Presbyterians in the 1920s and 30s mean by this?
>>
>>2686905
decent to hell id imagine
>>
File: image.jpg (51KB, 180x237px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
51KB, 180x237px
>>2686905
>>
>>2686905
They drew a staircase but meant to draw a slippery slope
>>
Walking down stairs makes you smarter and despooks you
>>
>>2686967
Kek
>>
It's the Cave. Presbyterians knew their shit and realized that while we ascend 'intellectually', we descend spiritually and find ourselves intellectually blank in the Cave.
>>
>>2686937
Social engineering of the traditionalist backed right. Any anti progressive theory developed after Marx is mostly garbage because it's placed in the left right dichotomy from the outset.
>>
>>2686905
A warning that we didn't listen
>>
>>2686979
so we should ignore the truth and live under an illusion to feel "spiritual"?
>>
>>2687006
You didn't understand my post, which means you don't understand fucking Plato of all things.
Also, truth doesn't exist, but that's irrelevant.
>>
>>2686905
Eh, no diety should be below no resurrection and no atonement
>>
>>2687009
>truth doesn't exist
>but you didn't understand my post making reference to an analogy about leaving illusion behind for truth and society doing the opposite
>>
>>2687009
if there is no truth then there is no correct way to interpret you post
>>
>>2686905
Fairly self-explanatory.
>>
>>2687009
>truth doesn't exist

Is that statement true?
>>
>>2686937
profits?
>>
>>2687027
I'm not making an analogy, I'm explaining the imagery used in the OP image using an ancient allegory which I have recently done a good deal of research on.

Goodness, you are stupid.
>>2687036
It doesn't matter. You do realize that rejecting truth also means rejecting 'reason', right? That means rejecting consistency.

I shouldn't even be posting, you people seem to only understand my typical shitposting.
>>
>>2687042

You made the following statement:

>truth doesn't exist

Is that statement true?
>>
>>2687042
>I shouldn't even be posting, you people seem to only understand my typical shitposting
don't tell me you're the guy who posts
>reason is gud cause greeks sed so
>>
>>2687042
This does not appear to be atypical shitposting at all, but garden variety shitposting where self-refuting statements are not retracted, and in which the poster is condescending towards others, meaning talking down to them.
>>
>>2687042
>they knew their shit and realized we descended into the cave
>what are you talking about I never made reference to the cave

This is your typical shitposting.
>>
>>2687049
No, read my post you fucking dope.
>>2687050
I'm probably half of all posts on this board, it's so damn slow.
>>2687052
>self-refuting
Read my fucking post, please.
>>
>>2687064
>You made the following statement:
>>truth doesn't exist
>Is that statement true?
>>
>>2687063
I never made an analogy, the OP image is an allusion to the Allegory of the Cave. I am explaining the reasoning behind it.
>>
>>2687067
READ.THE.POST
>>
>>2686982
You can't dismiss everything that's happened after marx just because it didn't end well and then was later used as propaganda by the other side. They DID fuck up regardless.
>>
>>2687064
>Read my fucking post, please.

The one where you abandon truth and reason?

That one?

Or the one where you confess you're nothing but a bored shitposter here?
>>
>>2687070
tl;dr
>>
>>2687070

>truth doesn't exist

Is that statement true?
>>
>Boohoo believe what I believe guys
>>
>>2687069
Is this you, yes or no?

>>2686979
>It's the Cave. Presbyterians knew their shit and realized that while we ascend 'intellectually', we descend spiritually and find ourselves intellectually blank in the Cave.
Did you, or did you not, use the word "realize?" Was this, or was this not, in reference to the cave?
>>
>>2687072
>It doesn't matter. You do realize that rejecting truth also means rejecting 'reason', right? That means rejecting consistency.
I DO NOT NEED TO BE CONSISTENT
I AM MERELY CONDITIONED TO
STOP PLAYING SHITTY VIDEO GAMES ABOUT HISTORY AND READ SOMETHING
>>
This is so narsistic to make
>>
>>2687079
Are you now attacking my tone?
>>
>>2686905
Look at it. It's called "The Descent of the Modernists".

A young man with his back to Christianity steps away from the infallibility of the bible and believes he's related to monkeys. He will then go on to deny miracles, including the virgin birth, the sign to the world that the Messiah had appeared.

As a middle aged man, he will abandon his belief in there even being a God, have no way to atone for sins he no longer believes exists, and will deny the core tenet of the faith, the bodily resurrection of Jesus Christ on Nisan 17, 32 AD.

As an old man, he will become confused and not know whether or not there is a God, until he finally decides to put his foot down and say there is no God. He is now an old fool, and at the same time, a Modernist.

Pretty simple. Modernists are old fools.
>>
>>2687084
No, your word choice, because words have meaning. Meaning you are specifically trying to backtrack on. I get that you normally shitpost, but theoretically you can also turn that off, yes?

Answer the questions. They are simple yes or no answers.
>>
>>2687081
What does a self-refuting statement have to do with video games? Is this just you sperging out? Have you lost your shit?
>>
>>2687097
>self-refuting
I DO NOT NEED TO BE CONSISTENT YOU FUCKING HISTORY SPERG
>>
>>2687098

You have achieved that status admirably.

Now tell me.

Did you not say that truth does not exist?

Is that statement true?
>>
>>2687102
>demanding consistency
THAT IS A PRESUPPOSITION OF TRUTH
YOU ARE NOT BEING CONSISTENT YOURSELF
>>
>>2687009
Kill yourself.
>>
>>2687108
So you have now changed your position to acknowledge that truth exists.

Is this true?
>>
>>2687121
No, I haven't. Please figure out how to read. There's more to living than history gaymen.
>you believe in truth
>you are presupposing truth to make statements on truth
>this is illogical (inconsistent)
>being inconsistent is also inconsistent with your position
>>
>>2687071
How did they fuck up. Progressivism allowed for the development of modern democracies or republics, war protocols, human rights, labour laws, and environmental regulation. Traditionalism has mostly been an obstruction to these.
>>
>>2687129
Calm down. Truth doesn't exist, so the guy you're arguing with isn't wrong.
>>
>>2687144
Not him but Traditionalism has been an obstruction to them only if you define Christianity very narrowly.

Indeed, all the progressive reforms in any country can be argued is simply a secular form of Christian morality.

I mean, universalism, brotherhood and equality, not to mention the golden rule, are all typically modern values, and they are obviously Christian.
>>
>>2687129

>truth doesn't exist

Is that statement true?
>>
>>2687183
No, read the thread.
>>
>>2687162
>Truth doesn't exist

Is this true?

Would it not have to be true in order for truth to not exist?

And yet if it is true, truth exists.

Hmmm, what to do when people don't know they believe self-refuting ideas....
>>
>>2687184
I have read the thread.

Is that statement true?
>>
>>2687177
Satisfaction with one's place in society was a Christian moral too. Thus traditionalist, at least in the way manifested in feudalism.
>>
>>2687203
>Satisfaction with one's place in society was a Christian moral too.
Not at all. How stupid are you?
>>
>>2687203
You misspelled Chinese.
>>
>>2687220
Serfs duty was to serve their nobles faithfully and perhaps receive compensation for it in the after life. After all Christians believe that authority on earth is appointed by God. That was the conventional interpretation in the Christian West.
>>
>>2687242
>After all Christians believe that authority on earth is appointed by God.
No, this was a meme made by royalists.
>>
>>2687252
Well most Christians were arguably royalist or monarchists. Interpretations of scripture have shifted in the lead up to the present.
>>
>>2686967
>>2686905

Slippery slope, the fundamentalists are always afraid of going against a traditional narrative of biblical teaching. This is especially founded in the Calvinist sect of Christianity. They are afraid that their doctrine and traditions will get challenged leading them into a downward spiral. Get Ryie's book on basic theology and he will spout the same idea. Talk about NT Wright and the new perspective of Paul and the Calvinist will be the ones who complains about it. Talk about how predestination and foreknowledge are not fused together and they will complain about it.
>>
>>2687306
Well are they wrong?

I wouldn't say they are wrong even though I don't agree with them.

Very few Christians today actually believe like Christian people did a 100 years ago.
>>
File: 1 homo.jpg (229KB, 1246x746px) Image search: [Google]
1 homo.jpg
229KB, 1246x746px
>>2687093
>A young man with his back to Christianity steps away from the infallibility of the bible and believes he's related to monkeys
And this is a problem because?
>>
>>2687373
>I wouldn't say they are wrong even though I don't agree with them.

>Very few Christians today actually believe like Christian people did a 100 years ago.

I agree that they get many of the fundamentals right, since I'm also conservative but at the same time they ignore things that need to be addressed and can't be fully reconciled by their traditions.
>>
>>2687402
It's incorrect.
A bunch of gay skulls are meaningless.
>>
>>2686905
>Modernists
Why do Christfags misuse simple terminology? Modernism was an artistic movement
>>
>>2687402
because once a man honestly believes he is no different than an animal he begins to act like one.
>>
>>2688054
where's your argument?
>>
>>2688063
I wasn't aware we were having one.
>>
>>2686905
It seems rather presumptuous to assume each step is a necessary consequence of the previous one. Also, few religions can survive without adapting to the societies they are practiced in.
>>
>>2688054
But man has always been acting like an animal, even with gods aplenty.
>>
>>2688054
once a man believes he gets eternal salvation simply by asking for it he'll act like an animal
>>
File: linnaeus_found_wide.jpg (51KB, 700x248px) Image search: [Google]
linnaeus_found_wide.jpg
51KB, 700x248px
>>2688023
How so?
Why are they meaningless?
How can a skull be gay?

>>2688054
Like this guy?

>"It does not please [you] that I've placed Man among the Anthropomorpha, perhaps because of the term 'with human form', but man learns to know himself. Let's not quibble over words. It will be the same to me whatever name we apply. But I seek from you and from the whole world a generic difference between man and simian that [follows] from the principles of Natural History. I absolutely know of none. If only someone might tell me a single one! If I would have called man a simian or vice versa, I would have brought together all the theologians against me. Perhaps I ought to have by virtue of the law of the discipline."

>"One should not vent one's wrath on animals, Theology decree that man has a soul and that the animals are mere 'aoutomata mechanica,' but I believe they would be better advised that animals have a soul and that the difference is of nobility."
>>
>>2688092
Homo skulls.
>>
>>2688088
Can someone without faith but with many works be saved?
If I donate a billion dollars to an orphanage in the name of God but I do not believe, will I go to heaven?
>>
File: Screenshot_20170414-120850.jpg (409KB, 1551x1056px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170414-120850.jpg
409KB, 1551x1056px
>>2688105
>what is taxonomy?
>what is Latin?
>>
>>2688115
>>what is taxonomy?
Trash, like all science
>what is Latin?
The language of pseuds.
>>
>>2688106
Can someone with faith that they will be saved regardless of their sins keep themselves from raping and murdering their way to spiritual hedonism?
>>
>>2688127
Why can't you answer my question?
>>
>>2688087
Not really.
I mean strictly yes, obviously that's true because men ARE animals. However the idea that man is seperate from animals is a statement of philosophical intent that creates an approach to life that is entirely different than a that of man who sees an equivalency in value and meaning between his own life and that of a pig

If man is an animal and it is not immoral for animals to eat each other, why should it be any different for men? Apes don't sit around remonstrating over whether it's right to eat the captured young of an enemy troop, is that an arrangement you would find preferable for human society?
>>
>>2688133
I can.
Depends on what kind of "Christian" you ask. According to most doctrines that I'm aware of you go to hell if you don't have faith, whether you're a good person or not. Not really sure how asking me that question helps your argument, you're kinda just proving my point. Now answer my question.
>>
>>2688115
>being this fucking autistic
>>
>>2688088
>>2688106
>>2688127
>>2688133

How can one say that if he has no works is saved by faith? For faith is useless without works. For as James says, even the demons believe that God is one. For we are saved by our faith and receive the free gift of grace from God. But what evidence do we have that our hearts have changed and want to show ourselves as Christ-like as possible? It is through works that our faith is an example, something to please God. We do so not to achieve salvation, but rather for our love for God.
>>
File: 83502e8823b86924a04ec335834bb8b9.jpg (130KB, 736x1017px) Image search: [Google]
83502e8823b86924a04ec335834bb8b9.jpg
130KB, 736x1017px
>>2688144
But one must also acknowledge the differences between the apes themselves. Prime example are the chimps and bonobos: equally related to us, yet are at opposite ends of the social spectrum. One is a brutish "baby-eater," while the other is a somewhat docile pet.
>>
>>2688151
So faith is necessary for salvation but works are only sufficient?
>>
>>2688152
>lobbing insults instead of addressing the issue
>>
>>2688157
Many Christians reject the idea of works entirely. That isn't to say they reject the idea of being "good" in the eyes of God, however "works" is not universally accepted.
>>2688172
Again, that depends on who you ask, I believe the bible puts faith above pretty much everything, if I'm not mistaken. Then again I'm not quite sure it doesn't contradict itself on that particular issue.
This a question of posters in general...does the bible make overt statements about "doing good work" and whatnot or does it just demonstrate such behavior in the illustrations of Jesus and his follower's lives.
>>
>>2688176
'twas not an insult my good fellow, merely an observation that you are replying in earnest to a jape.
>>
>>2688201
talk about autism ;)
>>
File: 1492565740480.jpg (32KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1492565740480.jpg
32KB, 1280x720px
>>2688201
I'm just tired and very irritable.
>>
>>2688166
>One is a brutish "baby-eater," while the other is a somewhat docile pet.
Yes, a "docile pet" that engages in what we would consider child molestation and incest, that ties into my point.
>>
>>2688144
>I mean strictly yes, obviously that's true because men ARE animals.
Wrong
>>
>>2688200
>Many Christians reject the idea of works entirely.

I understand why and I'm not even a Catholic. The problem is they see any form of works that you do even as evidence of faith as a sign of Catholicism, Pelagianism or Legalism. Protestants and some Restorationist need to realize that of course we saved by faith and given the free gift of grace, you can't just do whatever you want and think God would allow that to slide, one must also be loyal to him, since Jesus says that there will be those who will say they follow him, only for him to say that he does not know them.
>>
>>2688248
That's the spirit!
My mama didn't raise no ape!
>>
File: Header-x.jpg (222KB, 1050x300px) Image search: [Google]
Header-x.jpg
222KB, 1050x300px
>>2688216
All I was saying is that they were vastly different, and yet anatomically are almost identical. Just imagine how different they'd be if the encephalization quotient was dramatically increased, leading to more sophistication within the brain.

>>2688248
Where are the proofs?
>>
>>2688301
Proof doesn't exist, STEMturd
>>
>>2688248
>>2688144

But what makes us more than the animals? It is that we created in the image of God.
>>
>>
They left out the no saints step, and the "there isn't any need for sacraments" step
>>
>>2688252
Can a man on his deathbed accept Christ? Also, how can we have an objective measure of what is right action?
>>
File: 04-08CartaLogoBIG.jpg (1MB, 3200x3200px) Image search: [Google]
04-08CartaLogoBIG.jpg
1MB, 3200x3200px
>>
>>2687402
He eventually ends up like you.
>>
>>2688081

It's what people do. It's observable. Predictable.
>>
>>2688127
Of course.

Where sin abides, grace abounds. Where more sin abides, grace abounds even more.

Then should we sin, so that grace should abound?

HEAVEN FORBID
>>
>>2688157

Why do you take the writings of James, the half-brother who never believed Jesus was the Messiah until after the resurrection, that you do not understand, who was Judaizing people in the Jewish temple, over the writings of the greatest apostle of them all, Paul?

For it is by grace that we are saved, through faith, and not of works, lest any man should boast.

If you want to try to understand James, start with this.

"A man says he has faith" =/= a man who has faith in Jesus.
>>
>>2688172

Faith is necessary to accept the free gift of salvation from God.
>>
>>2690534
Yes. Very risky plan.

God judges right action.
>>
File: erctgroup.jpg (1MB, 2473x1002px) Image search: [Google]
erctgroup.jpg
1MB, 2473x1002px
>>2691649
Like me in what way?
>>
>>2691668

Being completely ignorant as to:

Origin
Purpose
Meaning
Destiny

And in your case, being deceived that you are nothing more than a primate, and were not made in the image of God at all. That you are the captain of your own ship, the god of your own existence, and one of the biggest fools to walk the earth.
>>
File: FB_IMG_1492385744581.jpg (146KB, 960x935px) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1492385744581.jpg
146KB, 960x935px
>>2686905
>What did fundamentalist Presbyterians in the 1920s and 30s mean by this?
>Fundamentalist
Well, there's your answer. Protestant Fundamentalism is a reductionist, minimalist movement that was a response to modernity. They viewed contemporary modernity as assaulting their faith, so they responded by preaching yet another blasphemy of the bare minimum that Christians need to believe. This is also known as "mere Christianity". That image is a slippery slope thought process that over the long haul usually is true.

However, Protestantism is itself a heresy and broken from the Faith as given by God through the Holy Spirit at Pentecost with Christ. Protestantism is not following Christ's own words that "worship must be of the Spirit and truth" when he speaks to the Samaratan woman at the well. The early Christians did just this, guided by the Holy Spirit, and worshipped in a manner close to Jews (as most early Christians were Jews), which is the Orthodox Church, which is both of the Spirit and truth.
Protestant EDM, PowerPoint, and speaking in tongues is not as the early Christians and Apostles filled with the Holy Spirit worshipped.

T. Orthodox
>>
>>2691682
Bragging about being like Jews. Bragging about belonging to the Synagogue of Satan.

Sad.
>>
>>2691682
>and speaking in tongues is not as the early Christians and Apostles filled with the Holy Spirit worshipped.

Wrong again, papist lite.

Mark 16:17 And these signs will follow those who believe: In My name they will cast out demons; they will speak with new tongues;

Acts 2:4 And they were all filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance.

Acts 10:46 For they heard them speak with tongues and magnify God.

Acts 19:6 And when Paul had laid hands on them, the Holy Spirit came upon them, and they spoke with tongues and prophesied.

1 Corinthians 12:28 And God has appointed these in the church: first apostles, second prophets, third teachers, after that miracles, then gifts of healings, helps, administrations, varieties of tongues.
>>
>>2691691
Bragging? No. Bring historically true on /his/? Yes.
Read some history of the early Church.
>>
File: Oldowan.jpg (775KB, 1490x1245px) Image search: [Google]
Oldowan.jpg
775KB, 1490x1245px
>>2691678
See
>>2688092

I do not claim to be the ruler of my own life, but I do know He has given me a choice.
>>
>>2691698
I did. It's in Acts. I quoted it above, because you obviously have never read it in your life.
>>
File: FB_IMG_1492309492929.jpg (8KB, 250x297px) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1492309492929.jpg
8KB, 250x297px
>>2691696
>Wrong again, papist lite.
Really? Orthodoxy is "papist lite"?
Speaking in "tongues" is a fancy "mystical" way saying speaking other languages. Pentecostals and Evangelicals are not speaking with the Holy Spirit, but rather unclean ones. This is apparent for an Orthodox attending one. Uncontrollable laughter, bleating like animals, speaking in a language with the same structure as their native language, this is all of unclean spirits and not the Holy Spirit. Why don't Western Pentecostals speak a tonal language, or semetic? Why one that is only similar to their native one?
The Holy Spirit is not deceptive, and the final message was given by the Holy Spirit through the Apostles, nothing new after that. Evangelicals, Apostolics, and Pentecostals refute this in their doctrines that define them as such.
Pic related is the Holy Fire at the Church of the Holy Sepulchre (an Orthodox Church, obviously). This is a miracle by the grace of God. Barking like a dog at a warehouse of Pentecostals is not.
>>
>>2687306
If you are only going to follow and believe one part of the Bible then why bother at all? Fundamentalists are absolute. If you start to disbelieve in the miraculous side of the Bible then it becomes merely an ethical system, and probably will become just as successful as one (barely followed by anyone).

>>2687618
What needs to be addressed and why? If it is just because of feelings, then that is no reason at all.
>>
>>2691720
Love it. Keep blaspheming the Holy Spirit.
>>
>>2691720
>Really? Orthodoxy is "papist lite"?

How is this not self-evident?
>>
>>2691726
Don't do this.
>>
>>2691720
>muh fire is a miracle

kek

pagan
>>
>>2691735

You just did, actually. Keep it up. Get repaid to your face.
>>
>>2691718
>What is Liturgical worship
So are you implying the Church just disappeared after Acts? The Church started at Pentecost is the Orthodox Church.
>>
>>2691744
Not at all. There have always been born again Christians from Pentecost 32 AD to this day who have remained outside the murderous reach of Rome and Constantinople, never bending the knee to either.

Then there's people like you.
>>
>>2691720

>tfw you're a Zoroastrian and don't know it.
>>
File: FB_IMG_1492309484485.jpg (39KB, 644x960px) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1492309484485.jpg
39KB, 644x960px
>>2691726
>Keep blaspheming the Holy Spirit

>not discerning between the Holy Spirit and unclean spirits
Please, keep being deceived. The Holy Spirit - the Heavenly King, Comforter, and Spirit of Truth - is as He has always been, as He is one of the three persons of our Triune God, Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. He is timeless and will not change, will not say one thing and then another, for He doesn't lie. Again, modern Christians of the Evangelical kind do things in contradiction to His revelations through the Holy Bible, the solas aside.
God forbid I would blasphemy against God.

>>2691728
Because we don't have a Pope or it's all-powerful equivalent.

>>2691738
>What is the Burning Bush on Mt. Sinai
>What is a miracle
>What is God's grace that is warm to His children and burning to those who deny Him, as known by many Saints and Christians throughout history.
>>
>>2691770
>implying Orthodox worship fire
>>
>>2691774
>God forbid I would blasphemy against God.

He does.
You did.
He wins.
You lose.

You have 10 popes. Your Schism is already healed and you're too stupid to know it.

What is a white phosphorus candle wick?
>>
>>2691780

They call it "Holy Fire".

That's worship. Only God is holy.

Dumbest people ever.
>>
File: FB_IMG_1492509717632.jpg (106KB, 1064x799px) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1492509717632.jpg
106KB, 1064x799px
>>2691751
>Not at all. There have always been born again Christians from Pentecost 32 AD to this day who have remained outside the murderous reach of Rome and Constantinople, never bending the knee to either.
Yet still were within the Oriental Orthodox or other schematic organizations. The early Church was never "let's get together in a disorganized manner and wave our hands together" like many Protestants today. They are far removed from early Christians. We are all born again of the water and of Spirit, as Christ said is a must. This doesn't mean "born again of the heart" like many heterodox believe. That is not Holy Baptism, and to Christ and the Apostles examples in the NT, these modern people would be pagans.
They fell for false teachers "preaching another gospel and thus another Christ", a gospel different from that of the Apostles. May those false teachers "be accursed", per the words of an Apostle filled with the Holy Spirit, all found in Galatians 1:8.

>Then there's people like you.
>>
>>2691809
>Yet still were within the Oriental Orthodox or other schematic organizations.

At the time of the Schism of 1054 between Rome and Constantinople, the membership of the Eastern Orthodox Church was spread throughout the Middle East, the Balkans, and Russia, with its centre in Constantinople, which was also called “New Rome.”

32 AD to 1054 AD. 1,022 years before you people came to be.

You are just as lost as Rome.

You are the other iron leg.
>>
>>2691809
>water washes away my sins
>oil lets the Holy Spirit in
>muh holy fire

kek

Lost as lost can be.
>>
File: FB_IMG_1489445651847.jpg (33KB, 448x576px) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1489445651847.jpg
33KB, 448x576px
>>2691791
>He does.
>You did.
>He wins.
>You lose.
>You have 10 popes. Your Schism is already healed and you're too stupid to know it.
You clearly don't know the differences between the Roman Catholic Pope and an Orthodox Patriarch. And yet again, discerning between the Holy Spirit and an unclean spirit is quite necessary, lest a man becomes like Mohammed or Joseph Smith.
>What is a white phosphorus candle wick?
Are you a Muslim? They've stated this argument and tried to prove it for over a century, yet they be never been able to. How odd.

>>2691794
>They call it "Holy Fire".
>That's worship. Only God is holy.
So you're saying that which is of God is not Holy? It is not worship.
>>
>>2691822
They have a pope.
You have a first among equals.

Two legs of the same statue.

You called the practice of speaking in tongues unholy and unchristian. Maybe review your own posts before you start posting exactly the opposite.

All they have to do is what your guy does. Put some organic solvent over the wick to keep the air out for, say, 30 minutes. Then mumbo jumbo, and fire.

That you think this is a miracle of God, and not a bar trick, is kind of sad.

Your pitiful bar trick candles are not of God, no. Not holy.

You'll see holy fire if you live long enough. After the muslims take Constantinople, fire from heaven will rain down on Rome.

I say if you live long enough, because since you're not a born again Christian, you will not be raptured.
>>
File: FB_IMG_1483413663892.jpg (111KB, 844x800px) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1483413663892.jpg
111KB, 844x800px
>>2691817
>32 AD to 1054 AD. 1,022 years before you people came to be.
>You are just as lost as Rome.
>You are the other iron leg.

Ah, that's where you mix it up. You cannot lose an arm and then say the arm is the entire body and that the body is just a part of the arm. The Roman Catholic Church broke Communion from the Oryhodix Church, then over the centuries proceeded to go full heretic with their many innovations.
>RCC leaves the Church, becoming not in Communion with the Orthodox
>somehow the RCC with its innovations claims that the traditional and liturgical Orthodox Church left it because it did t adopt these innovations.

>>2691820
>Lost as lost can be
You are, in deed and thought. May Christ be in your hardened heart and make it soft.
>>
>>2687252
You're a literal uneducated idiot, why should we care about your opinion on theology if you never even read Romans 13?
>>
>>2691845
>follow the bishop of Rome for a thousand years
>leave
>declare you were the original

Your father is the father of lies, and that's a good lie. Constantine started pagan Roman Catholicism @ 325 AD, and you people broke off 700 years later.

You are not the original Christians.

You are not even Christians.
>>
>>2691855
>zionist protecuck detected
>>
>>2691845
That's how I know you're lost; the Holy Spirit is in me, and the Spirit in me disagrees with the spirit in you.

It's called spiritual discernment. It grows when your faith is placed in the risen Christ Jesus, and not in any manmade church.

See, the object of your faith, if you were honest with yourself, is your church. You believe your church will save you from hell.

No church will ever save anybody from hell.
>>
>>2691866
Zionist? What does Zionism have to do with being a born again Christian, other than knowing the sad tale of woe that is being laid out for the Jews from 1948 to the present?

Other than knowing they will hail the antichrist as their messiah?

Other than knowing what a vast majority of them will be slaughtered in the troubles of Jacob?
>>
File: FB_IMG_1484783855482.jpg (119KB, 716x955px) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1484783855482.jpg
119KB, 716x955px
>>2691843
>You called the practice of speaking in tongues unholy and unchristian.
I did no such thing, stop your deception. I was and am discerning between actual Holy Gifts and cheap imitations of unclean spirits. The latter of which is again, found in Evangelicals.

>All they have to do is what your guy does. Put some organic solvent over the wick to keep the air out for, say, 30 minutes. Then mumbo jumbo, and fire.
>That you think this is a miracle of God, and not a bar trick, is kind of sad.
>Your pitiful bar trick candles are not of God, no. Not holy.
Have you been? You think over a century of non-believers trying to "uncover" it wouldn't have done so by now if it were not a miracle of God?

>>2691843
>I say if you live long enough, because since you're not a born again Christian, you will not be raptured.
Ok, so either you're an Evangelical or Muslim, because The "rapture" as commonly believed by modern protestants, is a modern idea that was never in the Early Church nor taught by the Apostles or revealed to other Saints. That "rapture" as you understand it is false.
>>
>>2691843
>You called the practice of speaking in tongues unholy and unchristian.
It absolutely is, it's Satanic demonic babble. What Bible describes is apostles suddenly being able to speak foreing languages, what Charismacucks are doing is niggerblathering absolute nonsense as proved by every linguist who ever bothered to research this absurdity, it isn't a language.

t. Lutheran
>>
File: FB_IMG_1488361503329.jpg (49KB, 960x723px) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1488361503329.jpg
49KB, 960x723px
>>2691855
>Your father is the father of lies, and that's a good lie. Constantine started pagan Roman Catholicism @ 325 AD, and you people broke off 700 years later.
What? Nice Protestant revisionism. Constantine legalized Christianity. Orthodoxy started at Pentecost. Literally in the Bible as the Apostles evangelised and appointed Bishops to Christ's Church which the gates of Hell shall not prevail against.
>You are not the original Christians.
>You are not even Christians.
See above. Protestants are, at best, Nestorians, and st worst they aren't Christians as they have not been Baptized as Christ stated it should be done, "of water and Spirit", which was carried out by the Apostles and by His Church which today is the Orthodox Church.

>>2691867
>That's how I know you're lost; the Holy Spirit is in me, and the Spirit in me disagrees with the spirit in you.
If that Spirit is filled with resentment, anger, or self-righteousness towards me, then it is not the Holy Spirit. I pray one day I may be blessed with the Holy Spirit by the grace of God. Your lack of humility betrays you as with another spirit.

>It's called spiritual discernment. It grows when your faith is placed in the risen Christ Jesus, and not in any manmade church.
My hope is the Father; my refuge, the Son, my protection, the Holy Spirit. The Church is the Body of Christ, along with those Orthodox in Communion with Him, through His Body and Blood. Christ is both fully God and fully man, two essences that cannot be divided. Protestants claim that the Church is only invisible, thus dividing Christ, which is Nestorianism

>See, the object of your faith, if you were honest with yourself, is your church. You believe your church will save you from hell.
I believe in one God, Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. Through Christ we have Salvation from death.

>No church will ever save anybody from hell
But Christ does if we accept Him in live and surrender ourselves to Him and forsake this world and our passions.
>>
>>2691850
I've read the Bible more times than you've attempted to.
>Let everyone be subject to the governing authorities, for there is no authority except that which God has established. The authorities that exist have been established by God. 2 Consequently, whoever rebels against the authority is rebelling against what God has instituted, and those who do so will bring judgment on themselves. 3 For rulers hold no terror for those who do right, but for those who do wrong. Do you want to be free from fear of the one in authority? Then do what is right and you will be commended. 4 For the one in authority is God’s servant for your good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for rulers do not bear the sword for no reason. They are God’s servants, agents of wrath to bring punishment on the wrongdoer. 5 Therefore, it is necessary to submit to the authorities, not only because of possible punishment but also as a matter of conscience. (NIV)
Rulers that in no way embody (bear) the spirit of God (the sword) are not instituted by God.
There doesn't exist a ruler today that does so, nor has there in a very long time. Hardly a monarch has, and certainly no noble has.

The object of faith for the nobles is not God, but mammon. They are agents of evil.
>>
>>2691890
Thank you.
>>
>>2691919
>The object of faith for the nobles is not God, but mammon.
And here we have yet another American blowhard who is projecting the ideals of the non-aristocratic American plutocracy on European Christian nobility.
>>
>>2686979
That's retarded. Plato wouldn't condone ignoring basic natural philosophy to be more "spiritual."
>>
>>2687081
>I DO NOT NEED TO BE CONSISTENT

If you want to convince anyone of the merits of your position you do.

Adopt a trip so we can ignore you.
>>
>>2691929
I'm not American.
>christian
>nobility
Does not exist.
>theologically supported interpretation of Romans 13:
It speaks of allowing oneself to be ruled by governing authorities who are either clearly appointed by God, or are godly and rule a godly kingdom. GOD'S SERVANTS. And all other authorities have no actual authority.
>Proddy statist interpretation of Romans 13
HURR IT CLEARLY MEANS EVERY PERSON THAT HAS GOTTEN INTO POWER EVER IS CHOSEN BY GOD HURR EVEN THE MANY THAT HAVE DONE EVERYTHING IN THEIR POWER TO DESTROY CHRISTIANITY AND BORDERLINE EMBODY EVIL LIKE NERO AND GOMMUNISTS
Fucking burgers.
>>
>>2691934
Christian interpretations of the allegory are not necessarily Plato's, you dope.
>>2691941
>convince
Why would I care, child?
>>
>>2691960
>Why would I care, child?

You care enough to post like a perpetually butthurt retard. You are honestly the single worst poster to have graced this board.
>>
>"Christians" come to a Japanese animation image board known for its vile acts, disturbing images, and disgusting pornography to discuss theology
Why do you do this? Are you playing devil's (God's) advocate or honestly attempting to discuss such topics here?
>>
>>2691969
I've been here since 2003 and frequent /a/. Not every Christian is a proddy.
>>
>>2691969
It's like AA.
>>
>>2691969
If missionaries dared to preach Christ to Fijian cannibals, why on earth wouldn't they come here?
>>
>>2691873
>I did no such thing, stop your deception. I was and am discerning between actual Holy Gifts and cheap imitations of unclean spirits. The latter of which is again, found in Evangelicals.

There you go, doing it again even while denying you're doing it.

I figured it out in two seconds, but then I have a chemistry background. I also have the advantage of knowing it's not a miracle. Just a magic trick to deceive the gullible.

See? You don't know anything about the bible. Paul taught the rapture to two groups of people, and you have absolutely no idea which two. But then, it doesn't really include you, so maybe that's why you don't care.

1 Thessalonians 4
For this we say to you by the word of the Lord, that we who are alive and remain until the coming of the Lord will by no means precede those who are asleep. For the Lord Himself will descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of an archangel, and with the trumpet of God. And the dead in Christ will rise first.

Then we who are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air.

And thus we shall always be with the Lord.

1 Corinthians 5
Behold, I tell you a mystery: We shall not all sleep, but we shall all be changed— 52 in a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trumpet. For the trumpet will sound, and the dead will be raised incorruptible, and we shall be changed.

See, "rapture" is not in the bible, because the bible was written in Greek.

The word for rapture in the Greek is "harpazo".

See how good your lies are?
>>
>>2691890
Keep blaspheming the Holy Spirit. Love it!
>>
>>2691917
>Constantine legalized Christianity.

Constantine was a pagan until the day he died. A sun worshiper, and donor to the temple of Apollo.

You're as lost as he is.

The Spirit in me is not filled with any of those things. You're a delusional, lost idiot, and if I can put a pebble in your shoe to cause you to examine whether your faith is in your idiotic church, or whether it is in Jesus directly, I have done well.
>>
>>2691917
>I believe in one God, Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. Through Christ we have Salvation from death.

The devil knows that too. He's just not going to tell you how to get that salvation.
>>
>>2692012
You're sure it's not a demon?
>>
>>2692023
Yes, of course. As you have zero experience with the Holy Spirit, you have absolutely no idea how people tell the difference between the Holy Spirit and spirits from God, or the devil or demons.

Protip: There's a test.
>>
>>2692033
Dear friends, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits to see whether they are from God, because many false prophets have gone out into the world. (1 John 4:1)
>>
>>2692006
>I figured it out in two seconds, but then I have a chemistry background. I also have the advantage of knowing it's not a miracle. Just a magic trick to deceive the gullible.

>don't worry, I can explain miracles with my limited knowledge and mental capacity
And I have a background dealing with the EM spectrum. It mayters not in matters of God and His miracles. Faith is not of the mind but of the heart, of love for Christ and the entirety of His Gospels, not bits and pieces as the solas prescribe. Go to the Church of the Holy Sepulchre and go prove your theory, then. If you were a man of science, you would prove your theory instead of start with a conclusion as solid fact and work backwards to "prove" it.

>>2692006
>Scripture quotes
>See how good your lies are?
I see nothing contrary to what I've read nor to His Church. The common Rapture belief is the dead shall rise and the living be left behind (hence that book series), yet clearly we all ascend at one time for Judgement. You've made no point but rather re-affirmed mine. Those who are asleep will rejoin body and spirit, while us that are awake still of body and Spirit will ascend with them.

>>2692033
>>2692012
Constantine underwent Holy Baptism, Confession, Chrismation, Holy Communion before he fell asleep in the Lord.

Your posts show your lack of humility, love, parience, and kindness. That isn't the Holy Spirit in you, anon.
>>
>>2692042
how do you know the veracity of this test?
>>
>>2692105
but every spirit that does not acknowledge Jesus is not from God. This is the spirit of the antichrist, which you have heard is coming and even now is already in the world. (1 John 4:3)

Be perfect, therefore, as your heavenly Father is perfect. (Matthew 5:48)
>>
File: 1446785534699.png (410KB, 869x500px) Image search: [Google]
1446785534699.png
410KB, 869x500px
>>2692094
What are the "innovations" of the Roman Church that you mentioned before? As far as I know, there is little more than the Fillioque splitting our church. I'd appreciate any resource regarding the history of the schism and the church before it.
>>
>>2686905
This is the slow march Christianity has been down since Luther anyway.
>>
If Christianity is so infallible why are there so many religions?
Why are there so many different denominations in Christianity alone?
Why do so many Christians believe -their- particular interpretation on the bible is the correct one when the most likely reason they even believe in the first place is an accident of birth adopting that belief because your parents held that belief and indoctrinated them into not questioning it?
>>
File: Screenshot_20170414-115115.jpg (360KB, 1625x1148px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170414-115115.jpg
360KB, 1625x1148px
>>
>>2687038
underrated
>>
>>2692206
Anecdotal evidence has led me to believe that most Christians do stressing their beliefs. Also, there is no way to measure the likelihood of any one reason that a Christian may believe as opposed to any other reason.
>>
>>2692247
>Also, there is no way to measure the likelihood of any one reason that a Christian may believe as opposed to any other reason.
Yes there is.
The best indicator of what a person believes is what their parents believe. Kind of suspicious that the metaphysics underlying the universe are determined by where you were born.
>>
>>2692254
Source?
>>
>>2692272
Common sense you retard, but if you really want a source google gives one
https://books.google.com/books?id=hQyeCwAAQBAJ&pg=PT25&lpg=PT25&dq=best+predictor++religion+is+parent+religion&source=bl&ots=SCFIOS9cj7&sig=I5rwHxuKncHg6ZYGOqDCOnpC3ho&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjbv-aYo7TTAhVL04MKHQ2XAxcQ6AEIKDAB#v=onepage&q=best%20predictor%20%20religion%20is%20parent%20religion&f=false
Wow man, ever wonder why most Muslims live in the ME, why most Americans are Christian? It's certainly not because any particular group is privy to different secrets of the universe.
>>
>>2686967
Really puts a spring in my step
>>
File: FB_IMG_1482922727360.jpg (33KB, 720x476px) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1482922727360.jpg
33KB, 720x476px
>>2692133
Forgive me, I was at Great Vespers and was unavailable.

>What are the "innovations" of the Roman Church that you mentioned before? As far as I know, there is little more than the Fillioque splitting our church.

Hmm... not memeing, but:
>Bishop of Rome having power over all Bishops in Christiandom
>Baptism not being three submissions in the name of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit
>Mary being born without Sin
>Thinking that the Holy Spirit comes from the Son and the Father, which destroys the Trinity aka "the filioque"
>removing canonical books from the Bible
>Papal infallibility in place of Ecumenical Councils
>Clergy not being able to be married as it was in the beginning
>the Eucharist not being mixed
>Not Baptism, Chrisimating (Comfirmation) and having First Communion together as it was in the beginning. Thus allowing even infants to become Closer to Christ instead of waiting 15 years for confirmation.
>Selling of Indulgences
>Purgatory
>Penal Crucifixion theory

That's a shortlist, but 1000 years later after they broke away they've been warped by this fallen world . No surprise Protestants came out of it, as heresy begets heresy.

>I'd appreciate any resource regarding the history of the schism and the church before it.

Reading:
>The Orthodox Way by Metropolitan Kallistos Ware
>The Path to Salvation by St Theophan the Recluse
>Orthodox Study Bible
>Rock and Sand by Fr Josiah Trenham

A decent secular history of it would be A History of Byzantium
https://www.amazon.com/History-Byzantium-Timothy-Gregory/dp/140518471X

Good starters for the curious.

>Heavy Reading
https://www.christianbook.com/the-early-church-fathers-38-volumes/9781565630819/pd/30815
>>
File: FB_IMG_1492385770037.jpg (65KB, 668x445px) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1492385770037.jpg
65KB, 668x445px
>>2692383
One last one, can't believe I forgot it:

>The History of the Church: From Christ to Constantine
https://www.amazon.com/History-Church-Constantine-Penguin-Classics/dp/0140445358
>>
>>2686967
Slippeey slope? What do lubed up chinamen have anything to do with this?
>>
>>2687042
if you don't believe in truth why are you getting angry that people are misinterpreting you?
My interpretation of your post is just as valid as yours. It seems to be a crying out for cock.
>>
>>2692206
Tower of Babel. It's all a language game except there are multiple languages for added fun, and much more time to stew.
>when the most likely reason they even believe in the first place is an accident of birth adopting that belief because your parents held that belief and indoctrinated them into not questioning it?
1 Corinthians 13:11
>>
>>2691724

>If you are only going to follow and believe one part of the Bible then why bother at all? Fundamentalists are absolute. If you start to disbelieve in the miraculous side of the Bible then it becomes merely an ethical system, and probably will become just as successful as one (barely followed by anyone).

But I never denied the miraculous, what I'm saying is that the traditions of fundamentalism will eventually lead to more problems than them being solved. Even conservative theologians and scholars will recognize that and they're still condemned for saying such things (see John Walton material)

>What needs to be addressed and why?

This is mostly OT material but I'll include some NT stuff as well.

1. The exodus narrative as 100% accurate, I don't deny it, and I'm against the minimalist claims but many passages of the exodus narratives were produced with ANE hyperbole to address their points, fundamentalist usually will deny this claim, though parallels can be made to prove my point.

2. Admitting that Moses likely didn't write the entire Torah but rather the Israelites used oral traditions to piece together their history. This is not to say Moses didn't writes some things as the Book of Exodus and Deuteronomy admits, but rather the fundamentalist tradition that the Torah was only written by Moses.

3. The multiple authors for Isaiah, this has confused me among fundamentalist since all I hear is that Isaiah had one author which was likely him, yet they deny the clear evidence of multiple linguistic and morphological cues in Deutro-Isaiah and Trito-Isaiah. Heck again, Isaiah could have said every single word in the whole of the book yet for some reason I've never heard them use the supplementary argument to show it.

4. The New Perspective on Paul, this has made the Calvinist jump up in a frenzy because of the implication that Jews didn't have a works-based system and instead had some form of grace.
>>
>>2693173
Good post
>>
>>2686905
to a theist nothing is more disgusting and reprehensible than a non-believer.
Preach any religion, worship any idol, dance naked through the woods in a delirious pagan ritual; but DO NOT tell me you believe there is no God!
>>
>>2694221
Eh, as a hard polytheist I have no problem with atheists. They're wrong of course, but it's the monotheists who are scum.
>>
>>2692383
Thank you very much.

>heresy begets heresy
I thought we didn't consider each other heretics, rather schismatics.
>baptism
Don't know what you mean by three submissions. Going underwater once for each divine person? I would think we do that, pretty sure babies get three pours.
>filioque
I still think this is a matter of translation, but I guess it would have been easily resolved in that case. As far as I've heard, the RCC is supposed to be taken as, "from the Farther through the Son."
>baptism, confirmation and communion at once
That would defeat the purpose of confirmation, would it not, as this is when a man proclaims faith in Christ with his own voice rather than his parents'?
>indulgences
I've been led to believe that these aren't as bad as they are made to sound today, and that they may not have been an official practice, but idk.
>purgatory
Simply a logical speculation. The soul must be purified to be with God in heaven, the church doesn't claim to know what that entails.

Don't know much about the rest so I can't comment. Again, tanks so much for all the resources, may God bless you.
>>
>>2692094
There's youtube videos if you want to watch them.

It's a bar trick.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pd-o8ineMuE
>>
>>2692094
>dead shall rise and the living be left behind

Literally the opposite of what I just showed you in the bible.

If you're left behind, it's because you are not saved.

You will be left behind because you are not saved.
>>
>>2692094
>Constantine underwent Holy Baptism, Confession, Chrismation, Holy Communion before he fell asleep in the Lord.

He did none of those things, and if he did them on his deathbed, as you allege, then his entire confession of faith his entire life was a lie.

Just like the Donation of Constantine was a lie, forgery, fraud and hoax.

And the man at the bedside when Constantine died?

Arius.

Your list, by the way? Bathing, confessing, being oiled up, and eating crackers and drinking wine?

Great way to go to hell.
>>
>>2692206
What good would the exercise of your free will be if there were no seemingly viable alternatives?
>>
>>2692383

YOU were in bed with the papists for a thousand years, not us.

We were being murdered by the papists, fleeing from the papists, and hiding from the papists.

WHICH FOR A THOUSAND YEARS INCLUDED HIDING FROM YOU.
>>
>>2695073
>Your list, by the way? Bathing, confessing, being oiled up, and eating crackers and drinking wine?

I want to emphasize this.

This is the road to hell.
>>
>>2687009
>I understand Plato, as do most people
laughing_athenian_women.jpg
>>
I fucking the false premise that intellectualism/science and Christianity are incompatible. That is an intensely false narrative, and the fact it has become so popular disgusts me.
Let me cover just a few quick bullet points as to why this isn't true
First, evolution is NOT incompatible with Christian beliefs, and young earth creationism is NOT a standard or even traditional belief. It only became 'popular', and even then not nearly a large portion of Christians, in the 19th century, only 200 fucking years ago. This is a faith with a 2000 year history. It is a crackpot theory made when some guy decided to extrapolate the genealogies listed in the old Testament (a Jewish book - not even the critical portion of Christianity - early non-formerly-Jewish Christians generally read only the Gospels).
Second, for a long time the clergy and science in the Western world were utterly inseparable. Copernicus was a clergyman. Georges Lemaître, a priest, proposed the big bang theory.
>>
>>2695139

Dude, take your meds. Calm down. Take a breath.

Plus, you're insanely wrong, you simpering faggot.
>>
>>2695073
You don't believe in baptism or communion?
People in antiquity believed that baptism washed away your sins. They would sometimes wait until they were dying so that they wouldn't have time to sin more afterward. That's what I've heard, anyway.
>>
>>2695165
Feel free to write out a rebuttal of my statement.
>>
>>2695173

Your question does not even make sense. Of course I believe in baptism and communion.

Do I believe that by being baptized and taking communion, I can go to heaven?

No, because that's not only ridiculous, but not what the bible says.
>>
>>2695207
You aren't smart enough to understand it.

Your first rant is fine. Your second line is false, because you know nothing.

Your third line calls God a liar, as he told Moses how he created everything in its own kind, and how kind begets kind. This rules out macroevolution completely. And unlike macroevolution, kind begetting kind has been observed by human beings for thousands of years.

YEC has been commonly understood for thousands of years to be true, because people believed the bible. You mocking Bishop Ussher for actually putting in the time to trace the complete genealogy from Jesus back to Adam made by Luke is obnoxious.

Jesus is a Jew, so your antisemetism is rank blasphemy.

You conflating Catholics with Christians is just a total joke.
>>
>>2695216
Well, yeah, I don't think anybody claimed otherwise. He just presented evidence that Constantine was a Christian. Though, it is likely that he wasn't the most learned about the faith considering that he basically just put some bishops into a room and told them to come up with answers instead of trying to put his own opinion first.
>>
>>2687009
hey i like plato
he is a cool guy
>>
>>2695224
Oh, now your autism makes sense, you're a retard.
>Your antisemitism
Fucking what? I only mentioned Jews once and in a completely neutral way. What the fuck is wrong with you? The old testament is literally and indisputably an originally JEWISH book, written by the Jews.
>conflating Catholics with Christians
Where did I say those two are the same thing?

The irony of "You aren't smart enough to understand it" is astonishing.
>>
>>2687049

I don't believe truth doesn't exist, but the guy's reasoning is pretty fucking obvious. Making him repeat himself is pointless.

The statement doesn't need to be true, according to his reasoning, because truth and reason are irrelevant. And calling that a rationale and determining it is false would be, to him, a fallacy on our part due to its subjectivity.

Jesus dude learn to philosophy.
>>
>>2695282

Furthermore, I would argue that, despite believing in the existence of truth as an abstract concept, I must argue that objective truths do not exist in any measure beyond that of mathematics, which is purely symbolic and conceptual, much like truth itself.

In the context of a history discussion, he would be correct in arguing that the truth may well be irrelevant, because even our best conjectures could be horribly flawed; and in a deeper sense, our best inferences about reality could also be false. However this is an extremely tediously line of thought that leads far away from any sort of meaningful, or at least fun, historical discussion, regardless of its validity; a validity that I am apathetically uncertain of.
>>
File: 1408301587612.jpg (71KB, 604x604px) Image search: [Google]
1408301587612.jpg
71KB, 604x604px
>>2695313
>tfw we'll never know if our best conjectures are horribly flawed or only slightly flawed
>>
File: FB_IMG_1492777035439.jpg (59KB, 1080x720px) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1492777035439.jpg
59KB, 1080x720px
>>2694973
>I thought we didn't consider each other heretics, rather schismatics.
I made that comment somewhat "tongue-in-cheek". "Heresy" is from Greek for "opinion", so the Roman Catholic Church is considered schematic and heretical.

>Going underwater once for each divine person? I would think we do that, pretty sure babies get three pours.
Yep, three times, one time each for each Person of the Holy Trinity. The pours are the innovation. "Baptizo" is Greek for "immerse", hence Baptism.

>As far as I've heard, the RCC is supposed to be taken as, "from the Farther through the Son."
It was added not via Ecumenical council and ecclesiastical consensus, but unilaterally and mistakenly by Spanish monks sometime in the 5th century when transcribing Greek texts into Spanish. Looking at the Nicene Creed line by line, we can see that the line where the filoque was inserted is right above the line that mentions "the Father and the Son". Simple mistake, huge implications that essentially split the Holy Trinity into two separate God's, blasphemy.

>That would defeat the purpose of confirmation, would it not, as this is when a man proclaims faith in Christ with his own voice rather than his parents'?
The Sacrament of Holy Chrismation (Confirmation) is a Seal of the Gifts of the Holy Spirit in the Believer, as Jews did and Christ was annointed. Luke all Divine Sacraments, it is a physical way to recieve the grace of God, as shown to us by the Apostles and passed by them to their disciples in the Orthodox Church. God's grace is a mystery, as are the Sacraments, but we know it as one way to recieve His grace absolutely.

>Purgatory
There is a "pre-judgement" state after death, but it is not purgatory where our soul atones for our sins on Earth as described by the RCC. Just as Christ is Resurrected in Body together with the Spirit, so we shall be when Judgement comes. The soul will not be judged alone for sins committed by body and soul united in this world.

Forgive my late reply
>>
File: FB_IMG_1485902636183.jpg (83KB, 960x960px) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1485902636183.jpg
83KB, 960x960px
>>2695066
>>dead shall rise and the living be left behind
>Literally the opposite of what I just showed you in the bible.
Again, you're re-affirming my position in this conversation.
We both can and cannot know who is saved. We can in the blessed fact that Christ was crucified for us and defeated death by His death, allowing us Salvation, thanks be to God. However, do we reach for it? Do we reject it? Our life here is to dedicate ourselves to God, but do we do so? If not, we will be judged accordingly by Christ on Judgement Day by our deed (works):
>And I saw the dead, great and small, standing before the throne, and books were opened. Then another book was opened, which is the book of life. And the dead were judged by what was written in the books, according to what they had done. Revelation 20:12
>inb4 you yell "no Salvation by works!"
Yes, absolutely, but equally it is not "faith alone" either, as is found through the Bible. I'll trust St John the Evangelist, filled and illumined by the Holy Spirit, before taking the word of Martin Luther, Calvin, and Zwingli.
>>
File: FB_IMG_1489748240902.jpg (25KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1489748240902.jpg
25KB, 640x480px
>>2695073
>He did none of those things, and if he did them on his deathbed, as you allege, then his entire confession of faith his entire life was a lie.
Holy Tradition (uh oh) recollects that indeed he was, once on his deathbed. You therefore must prove your allegation that he wasn't, as you claim. He was a lifelong pagan up until that point. What he did was legalize Christianity while being a pagan until his last days. It was common practice, erroneous or not, in early Christianity to wait until near death to recieve the Sacraments of Holy Baptism, Confession, and Holy Communion as your sins were forgiven by God and your bring cleansed of sin. This would allow one to be repentant before Judgement as we cannot repent in the time after this life and before Judgement.

>Just like the Donation of Constantine was a lie, forgery, fraud and hoax.
Yep, it is. That's a Roman Catholic thing, anyway.

>And the man at the bedside when Constantine died? Arius.
Yes, and? Arius was indeed a heretic that denied Christ, but that doesn't invalidate the Sacraments performed by Him as the Sacraments are not from men, but from God through the Holy Spirit. Do you believe that those baptized by Judas then are invalidated? Of course not, but also we must remember that those Baptisms were prior to Pentecost, and after Pentecost they were invalidated, to be replaced by the Sacrament of Holy Baptism in order to enter the Kingdom of Heaven.

>Your list, by the way? Bathing, confessing, being oiled up, and eating crackers and drinking wine?
>Great way to go to hell.

Clearly through that ignorant comment you have no concept nor respect for Christ, Christianity, nor His Apostles. If you claim to be a Christian, may God help you from your passions. Lord have mercy.
>>
>>2695313
What about the Cogito
>>
File: FB_IMG_1484234866959.jpg (34KB, 480x513px) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1484234866959.jpg
34KB, 480x513px
>>2695083
>YOU were in bed with the papists for a thousand years, not us.
>We were being murdered by the papists, fleeing from the papists, and hiding from the papists.
Excuse me? Orthodoxy is absolureky against the very concept of an infallible Pope or one Bishop over all others. Period.
Orthodox were slaughtered horribly in the Sacking of Constantinople (1204 Roman Catholic Crusade); Orthodox were beheaded and murdered for refusing to kneel to the Roman Catholic Pope; Orthodox were left to be enslaved and persecuted under Islam for centuries; Orthodox were murdered in the millions under Communism; Orthodox are getting evangelised and deceived by Protestants in historically Orthodox countries; today, Orthodox are martyred daily by Islam. So do not complain about being persecuted when you aren't, when your half-full "confessions" give way to secularism And this fallen world because of your "anything goes" solas and deviation from God, Christ, and His One Holy, Catholic, and Apostolic Orthodox Church.

>WHICH FOR A THOUSAND YEARS INCLUDED HIDING FROM YOU.
Not at all, again, you're illiterate. In what Orthodox country did the Reformation pop up? I'll wait. The Roman Catholic Church fell away from Christ's Church long before the Reformation came to.
>>
File: 20170421_190218.jpg (2MB, 1427x2102px) Image search: [Google]
20170421_190218.jpg
2MB, 1427x2102px
>>2695073
>>2695090
Here's is an except from my Bible regarding the Sacrament of Holy Chrismation as well as other Holy Sacraments. Please read and learn and empty your heart of hate, friend.
>>
>>2688144
>remonstrating

re·mon·strate
/rəˈmänˌstrāt/
verb
gerund or present participle: remonstrating
make a forcefully reproachful protest.
>>
>>2687009
>truth doesn't exist
>Plato
>>
>>2688054
/thread
>>
>>2691978
Catholics aren't Christian
>>
>>2692303
>most Americans are Christian
Retard
Thread posts: 212
Thread images: 30

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.