[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Humanities bros, what is the social/psychological phenomena that

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: 1484585043729.jpg (295KB, 928x928px) Image search: [Google]
1484585043729.jpg
295KB, 928x928px
Humanities bros, what is the social/psychological phenomena that explains why people accept negative change so readily? Overton window, but not so political. More along the lines of when they started introducing security cameras in school hallways we ignored and accepted a potential privacy violation so readily after a week or so.

Any ideas are more than welcome.
>>
>>2680092
>More along the lines of when they started introducing security cameras in school hallways we ignored and accepted a potential privacy violation so readily after a week or so.

You need to be over 18 to post here
>>
>The boiling frog is a common misconception describing a frog being slowly boiled alive. The premise is that if a frog is put suddenly into boiling water, it will jump out, but if the frog is put in tepid water which is then brought to a boil slowly, it will not perceive the danger and will be cooked to death. The story is often used as a metaphor for the inability or unwillingness of people to react to or be aware of threats that arise gradually.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boiling_frog
>>
>>2680128
I'm 25 but thanks mate.
>>
>>2680146
>Waaah why isn't everybody as mawkishly preoccupied with matters as me

Go knock a trashcan over
>>
>>2680092
Because change is progress, if you don't like it you're a biggot
>>
>>2680131

Thanks. I did some digging and related reading and came across 'creeping normality' too so thanks for the link.
>>
>>2680160
Is all change progress?

Take technology and more specifically the sharing/gig economy. Are these platforms undermining the rights of workers at the expense of the end-users?

On the whole I accept change and innovation, but I accept fear of change, and specifically change ushered in through technology, as a valid concern.
>>
>>2680149

What matters?
>>
>>2680165
>Is all change progress?
Change and progress are both neutral terms that describe things moving from one state to another. We attach moral connotations to them but those are subjective. Yellowstone erupting is a form of change. Weapon ballistics becoming more accurate is progress. Those things can be viewed as good or bad depending on who you ask. Humans in general are too curious not to discover and develop new things, and technology is practically compelled to spread. It comes down to nobody being interested in the consequences because they're rarely immediatly apparent. Be it runaway pollution or turning inventions into weapons to harm others, they don't happen fast enough to shock people and capitalist societies lack cultural conventions that would generate critical public debate over something like new technology. For the sake of competition it is not possible to stop to do something like that without risking being left behind by others who will boldly adopt everything.
>>
>>2680242

I agree with the idea that humans are far too curious to stop learning and creating new things upon an ever growing stack of innovation. "Since it was possible, it was necessary" etc.

Out of interest, you seem to be fairly guarded and skeptical about tech and innovation, are there any areas in particular you are most resistant too?
>>
>>2680092
Good intentions are usually abused by bad people.

Also most people are lazy as fuck so if you can make it easier they will accept it even if it is at the cost of themselves and their neighbors.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.