[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I know I'm gonna get shit for this but I was remembering

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 6

I know I'm gonna get shit for this but I was remembering my younger years when I played medieval total war and I was thinking that there wasn't any real purpose for joining a crusade. It was too much trouble and in the end it didn't even make a difference. It was better to just stay put in Europe and ignore the pope.

This made me think about actual crusades...

I know that there was a big deal of religious zeal and Glory that motivated crusaders, but what about the kings and heads of states?

What was their objective on joining a crusade? Only personal glory? Was there any economical profit one could get from, I don't know, conquering Acre or something?

And Crusades General I guess.
>>
>>2675879
The pope was handing out get out of Hell free cards and absolution for all previous sins. Many people looking through a modern lens like to make the assumption that nobody ever really believed any of that stuff, but this was a very big deal.

This was also before the mongol conquests and the middle east was still very rich.
>>
people were really pious then. Henry II of England made a public penance after having the archbishop of Canterbury killed, Louis IX of France made two personal crusades to absolve himself of sins he felt he had done.
>>
Good answers.

Please tell me more.
>>
>>2676133
I've heard the Fatmids, who had control over Egypt and the Holy Land, were harassing Christian pilgrims occasionally, and the Great Seljuq Empire was pushing deep into Anatolia, which made the Byzantines really squeamish. Oddly enough, trade with the Muslim countries actually picked up during the Crusades, so there definitely was an economic element to it
>>
is it hard to get young white men to pack up and go kill muslims in the middle east today? Not really. Soldiers saw war as opportunity, no doubt thinking it was a good opportunity for loot and plunder. And honestly for the victorious survivors it was worth ot, at least to them. The original men were all dead by the time the kingdom of Jerusalem fell, so the men that took part got 100 years of spoils. Would you care, for instance, if territory your country captured would be untenable in 100 years? Of course not because you'd be dead by then and for the few days you actually got to pillage was seriously profitable.
>>
>>2676144
another thing, the only real way for people to advance socially and economically was through warfare (the old aristocracy in France was called the nobility of the sword for example) so it was either go crusading or farm in some rural place
>>
>Frederick II negotiates a treaty that returns Jerusalem to christianity peacefully without bloodshed

Crusaders BTFO
>>
>>2675879

What is Jerusalem worth?
>>
>>2675879
>what about the kings and heads of states?

Saint Louis died in Crusade
Frederik Barbarossa died on Crusade
Richard Heart of Lion, Phillipe Auguste, and Frederik Barbarossa went to Crusade
Countless dukes and counts went on Crusades and some dying some surviving, some even sold their land to pay for the Travel

Anyway you need to delete the marxist bullshit of "muh poor dumb uneducated people" and "muh rich atheist people"
>>
>>2676160
>is it hard to get young white men to pack up and go kill muslims in the middle east today?
Uh, yes? Considering that not many do so since most young white men don't have a fucking dog in the fight.
>>
>>2677813
nada
>>
File: unnamed.jpg (214KB, 969x1200px) Image search: [Google]
unnamed.jpg
214KB, 969x1200px
>>2675879
>
>>
File: Dragonnades430.jpg (736KB, 1755x1566px) Image search: [Google]
Dragonnades430.jpg
736KB, 1755x1566px
>>
>>
File: slide_6.jpg (133KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
slide_6.jpg
133KB, 960x720px
>>
File: slide_55.jpg (158KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
slide_55.jpg
158KB, 960x720px
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.