[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's the name of the one event where that fire burned

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

File: Untitled.jpg (188KB, 800x1202px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.jpg
188KB, 800x1202px
What's the name of the one event where that fire burned all those books? There was like millions of them lost
>>
>>2675197
Library of Alexandria?
That one older library in Mesopotamia (can't remember the name)?
Nazis burning books?
Nazis burning libraries in Slavic countries?
Stuff missing from the Hermitage?
>>
>>2675209
>Library of Alexandria
That's the one! Thanks!
>>
>>2675213
The Soviet pic made me think you were thinking of something Nazi related.
>>
>>2675213
Library of Alexandria had half a million books, not millions. Also, most of them had duplicates in other Hellenistic libraries. The destruction of the library, while tragic, has been overblown.

Source: "Hellenistic World" by Bugh
>>
>>2675197
fire of the old finnish capital
thousands of years of spurdo memes down the drain
>>
>>2675213
That's a myth. It comes from Gibbon, and he took it from a non-source. Christians did not burn down the library. There was a riot a few centuries after which damaged a part of the building which was not a library anyway. There were hardly any books in there and none were burnt. I hate this meme.
>>
>>2675528
Don't get butthurt, my Christian friend. They may be referring to Julius Caesar "accidentally" burning down Alexandria.
>>
>>2675209
You forgot the time the Chinese did it, and the other time the Chinese did it.
>>
Spanish friars burning Maya books in Yucatan
Burning of the Jaffna Public Library.
Destruction of House of Wisdom in Baghdad
Destruction of Library of Texcoco (apparently held largest collection of precolumbian Mesoamerica books).
>>
>>2675209
stuff went missing from the hermitage? as in andrew jacksons house?
>>
File: 880px-HermitageAcrossNeva-2.jpg (47KB, 880x130px) Image search: [Google]
880px-HermitageAcrossNeva-2.jpg
47KB, 880x130px
>>2675848
No as in the Hermitage.
>>
>>2675197

The Muslims burning the library of Nalanda in India setting the country back 1000 years.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.