[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How were monarchies able to last 1000s of years but dictatorships

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2

File: IMG_0630.jpg (115KB, 472x540px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0630.jpg
115KB, 472x540px
How were monarchies able to last 1000s of years but dictatorships no more than a few decades?

Aren't both of them ruled by just one popular leader?
>>
File: I, Claudius.png (1MB, 1020x768px) Image search: [Google]
I, Claudius.png
1MB, 1020x768px
Kingdoms: divine right of kings, hereditary, hierarchic societies.

Dictatorships: a layman is in charge, hard to connect with the country's past rulers, almost impossible to configure as a dynasty, society has already tasted democracy and liberalism.
>>
>>2671451
>Dictatorships are relatively new, as non-monarchism only catched on after the french revolution

>Dictatorships have a tendency to self-destruct by declaring war on other nations (see hitler)

>Dictatorships run into crises when the dictator dies because there is no clear heir (see franco)

North Korea is the closest thing we have right now to a long-lasting dictatorship, and even that nation is slowly turning into a monarchy.
>>
>>2671451
Maybe because they both existed in completely different times you fucking retard
>>
>>2671451
Some points:
1. I can't recall a single dynasty that lasted 1000s of years?
2. Monarchies changed a lot from feudalism to absolutism to constitutionalism.
3. Secular dictatorships don't have divine right or a mandate of Heaven to back them.
4. They also don't have hundreds of years of tradition.
5. Loyalty to a family may have felt more natural than loyalty to the ideal of nation.
6. Monarchs weren't necessarily popular. The pope isn't popular with all Catholics but to be a Catholic you have to be loyal to the Holy See. It just so happens the pope sits on the throne, same as any king just happens to sit under the crown. If the pope or the king passes, the loyalty still stays, because it doesn't rest on the actual human being alone.
7. Secular dictatorships became big around the same time as democracies, where people generally enjoyed better living standards. Monarchies, back in the day, met merchant republics and the like, but no large democracies.
>>
>>2671451
I don't see how monarchs killing and overthrowing other monarchs counts as monarchies lasting 1000s of years if the the same can't be applied to dictatorships
>>
>>2671451
Pretty sure there's been exactly one royal family that lasted 1000+ years and mostly thanks to not having any power.
>>
>>2671536
>I can't recall a single dynasty that lasted 1000s of years
Japan's.
>>
>>2671649
They didn't rule for almost any of that time.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.