[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What does /his/ think of Glubb's The Fate of Empire and

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 3

File: ages.jpg (278KB, 1000x976px) Image search: [Google]
ages.jpg
278KB, 1000x976px
What does /his/ think of Glubb's The Fate of Empire and Search for Survival?
Do modern historians take his theories seriously?
His views has altered my perception of events and perhaps it might be confirmation bias but I'm seeing the signs of decadence everywhere.
>>
people.uncw.edu/kozloffm/glubb.pdf

btw, link for his essay
>>
>>2670740
It's nonsense strongly influenced by 19th century and its ideology. It's not even a scholarly work. There are no references, no bibliography, nothing.
>>
Babby first cyclical hist
>>
>>2670740

The analysis is correct, the speculation is unjustified. Societies have a lifespan, this is true of all historic societies and so is probably true of our own, too. The reasons why this happens are vastly more complex than a generational schemata, and really are different for every society since they are largely context-dependant.
>>
File: 1395610950355.jpg (671KB, 3724x2014px) Image search: [Google]
1395610950355.jpg
671KB, 3724x2014px
>>2670740
>a, studies are brief and prejudist
Doesnt it depends on the the sources? Dont read wikipedia pages, if you want to learn about the past, you retard

>b, 250 year average lenght of greatness
Why is that surprising? Actually, if you look at the last major powers (Prussia, Dutch, Imperial Spain, Napoleon, Louis XIV, Soviet, Nazis, Japan) then this span is actually a lot shorter. Like, is that his point, that greatness only last for a limited time?

>c, average has not changed much
What is your point again?

>d, states rise and fall
awesome observation, bro. blows the mind

e, decadence is marked with several shit
Lack of religion? (like in rome huh?, or Dutch Golden Age?, or Spain Golden Age, or Arab Golden Age?, or Andalusian Golden Age? you know all because religion took over hand)
Pessimism, defensivness (i think there are more then enough examples of exactly the opposite (Nazi Germany, Imperial Germany, Napoleonic France, Persia of old)
Influx of Foreigners (Spain collapsed because they kicked all foreigners out), also lot of Empires fall without any need of foreigners being involved.-
>>
File: 1379628423475.jpg (299KB, 1908x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1379628423475.jpg
299KB, 1908x1200px
>>2671026
>f, decadence is due to too much wealth, love of money, selfishness
I dont know, Murrice seems to do just fine. China right now -moving towards more materialism- looks also to be on the right track. The Tang were the most materialist of the chinese dynasties and they had 300 years of greatness; the Dutch became a european great power because they were so stinking rich, Great Britains move towards Capitalism had made them the first global power.

>g, history of great states are all similiar
That is just completely retarded

>h, fall is due to external reasons
Wait, didnt he say exactly the opposite above, that its because they are all too decadent, materialist and atheist?

I, history should be taught for the human race with emphasis of your own country
Oookay... What has that to do with the subject matter at hand

tl, dr: Its a pretty generic and shitty conclusion to the rise and fall of great nations
>>
>>2670740
The signs of decadence are indeed easy to observe. It is just spoilt children growing up taking all their material wealth for granted. Hence the "loss of sense of duty". The Age of Pioneers and Conquest makes sense I guess, any empire had some phase in which they expanded, so it is meaningless. All other Ages, Commerce, Affleunce and Intellect were so poorly defined in Fate of Empires that these Ages are useless. So what we end up with, after cutting all crap, is the basic premise of cyclic theory of society "good times create weak men".

I like the theory, but it is poorly structured here.

>>2671026
>>2671054
This post is carcinogenic.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.