[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

If Abraham Lincoln had pursued a more indirect form of abolition,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: 1489959956913.png (23KB, 231x218px) Image search: [Google]
1489959956913.png
23KB, 231x218px
If Abraham Lincoln had pursued a more indirect form of abolition, whilst running for president, could he have prevented the civil war from breaking out.

What I mean is, is that the primary reason the South seceded as a result of Lincoln being elected was that they believed that he would become a form of dictator, and take away their primary form of income. Thus bankrupting them and effectively destroying the Southern economy.

What if instead of outlawing straight out, he set up a plan, to say outlaw slavery over 30 years or so. Starting with something such as no cruel treatment, then must be housed properly, you can not buy anymore slaves, then maybe you must pay them.

Sure the South wouldn't have liked this. But it wouldn't have fucked them over as much as direct abolition would have.
>>
That's literally what he did. Throughout his whole campaign he promised he wouldn't immediately abolish slavery. The south seceded because EVER ending slavery was unacceptable to them.
>>
>the civil war is about slavery
>>
the civil war was about black's right to be salves
>>
>>2670285
I like Lincoln's idea that involved shipping the Africans to Liberia
>>
>>2670338
Partly
>>
>>2670285
>>2670347

Lincoln should have just had all the slaves sterilized. All existing slaves would stay slaves, but then no new slaves would be created.
>>
>>2670351
Partly, yes, in that a significant talking point was that of the right to own slaves.
I believe anon means something more along the lines of 'the civil war was about the south wanting to keep slaves' as opposed to the south not wanting its economy to be bent over and sodomized
Which in all fairness it was.
>>
Lincoln did pursue an indirect form of abolition. His only campaign promise relating to slavery was that he would prevent it from being introduced into the west. He wasn't going to attack slavery in the south. It wasn't until two years into the war that he decided to act on his personal views regarding abolition and start pushing the "this war is not to preserve the union to as it was, but to give it a rebirth into what it should be" thing.
>>
>>2670285
>Lincoln outlawing slavery straight out

At most, he wanted to stop the expansion of slavery. Have you ever read the Alton debates you fucking idiot?
>>
The south didn't care about Lincoln, he was seen as a moderate. Their problem was with the Republican party and its rise. The union never witnessed a purely geographic sectarian party. Most founders warned of this destroying the Republic and the south saw 1860 election as their cue to leave.
>>
The Civil War broke out not because the North was trying to ban slavery, but because the South was unable to make slavery Federally legal.
>>
>>2670351
>>2670401

mostly
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.