[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How long has the "war is hell" attitude existed? As

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

File: War_694e2d_6031007.jpg (74KB, 680x460px) Image search: [Google]
War_694e2d_6031007.jpg
74KB, 680x460px
How long has the "war is hell" attitude existed?
As far as I understand it popped up during and after ww1. Did a similar sentiment exist earlier?
>>
>>2665590
Martin Luther talked about how awful wars are. I'm not sure how mainstream his opinion was.
>>
>>2665590
>Did a similar sentiment exist earlier?
Tolstoy after Crimean war
>>
Not too certain on the details but some shit went down in constantinople and the military leader was all oh shit this is kinda fucked up, involved fire and shit
>>
>>2665590
>How long has the "war is hell" attitude existed?
>As far as I understand it popped up during and after ww1
"In peace, sons bury their fathers; in war, fathers bury their sons."
~Herodotus
"Bella detesta matribus (Wars are the dread of mothers)."
~Horace
"Bella, horida bella (Wars, horrid wars!)"
~Virgil
"War is sweet to those who have never experienced it"
~Pindar

And of course, a similar sentiment pervades the Iliad, though I can't think of a particular quote.
>>
>>2665610
Mostly after the Thirty Years War most of the upper class people realised war sucks too
>>
I would be amazed if it hasn't always existed to a degree. I think it is just now seen as a less necessary hell.
>>
in the past if you were injured you'd die of an infection and didn't return to tell the tale, they would move the injured to infirmaries out of the way so as not to affect morale, most of the survivors were healthy and religious fanatics who believed their dead friends went straight to heaven
>>
>>2665688
This
>>
>>2665812
>in the past if you were injured you'd die of an infection and didn't return to tell the tale
Even if that were true, it still would not make the rest of your garbage true.
>>
>>2665590
>As far as I understand it popped up during and after ww1
Sherman said it, I'm sure it predates him.
>>
I think that attitude really arises after any very serious war comes, but also from people who experienced first hand the true horror of a modern, industrial war. You have to remember for much of history before the early modern era wars were very small scale and more often than not the average person would not be involved in it. A lot of societies had warrior classes (think European knights or the samurai) where men were trained from their youth to kill people as their life's calling. With that, I would argue, comes with a sense of preparedness for how one reacts when seeing someone die violently, or taking a life.

Once you have large scale, standing armies in the modern sense, you have people active in war that were not trained from their youths to deal with it. So this may be where the widespread trauma associated with war comes from, although we do have records for those involved in pre-modern wars suffering from what is probably PTSD.

As far as wars go though, modern industrial war is particularly horrible. Human life becomes pretty much useless and a lot of death rituals assigned throughout the year to the death of a warrior are denied. Not to mention, through most of the 19th century, Europeans and Americans had a particularly rose tinted view of war. People frankly who have no experience with actual, industrial war tend to think its all fun and games.

The best example of this in modern times might be William Tecumseh Sherman vs Theodore Roosevelt. Roosevelt was famously all about getting into a war to test one's manliness and all that. Sherman said something in response to others like Roosevelt that "War is hell, anyone who says otherwise has never been in a war."
>>
>>2665590
>people before ww1 thought that war was awesome
>>
>>2665758
That early? I would have wagered after the Napoleonic wars at the earliest.
>>
>>2665590
The column of Marcus Aurelius is basically War is Hell-the Monument. The entire relief is dedicated to showing how harsh and awful the marcomannic wars were, and how the Romans had to do horrible things to win.

Pic related, it's the Romans forcing their Germanic prisoners to kill their own friends and family.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.