[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why does French sounds/looks so weird compared to the rest of

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 164
Thread images: 14

File: 1470784337182.jpg (130KB, 677x782px) Image search: [Google]
1470784337182.jpg
130KB, 677x782px
Why does French sounds/looks so weird compared to the rest of Romance languages? Is it because of the Celtic or Germanic influence?
>>
romanian is closer to formal latin than italian actually
but italian is closer to vulgar latin
>>
>>2663379

Protip: The Romans of the Late Empire spoke nothing like the Romans of the Early Republic. Languages change, it's not a case of "bastardisation" or "decline", it's just what languages do.

Except in the case of French, that "language" was caused by God to punish the world for rejecting him.
>>
>>2663383
t. gypsy making up bullshit
>>
One of the most immediately striking facts about French in comparison with its cognate languages is the radical nature of the phonological changes which the language has undergone, changes which clearly differentiate the langue d’oïl, and Francien in particular, from other forms of Romance. Four processes especially have contributed to this global effect: the evolution of the tonic vowel system and the very significant reduction of originally atonic vowels; a period of nasalisation and subsequent partial denasalisation of vowels preceding nasal consonants; the widespread palatalisation of many consonants in appropriate environments (which in turn affected the vowel system); and, more recently, the effacement of most unsupported final consonants and, for most speakers, of final /a/ also.
>>
Portugese sounds so bizarre compared to other Romance languages. I can't even describe it, it's almost like some distant Slavic language.
>>2663401
He's not wrong. Romanian is basically 30% Latin. Italian is pure sermo vulgaris.
>>
>>2663475
it follows some of the same patterns in french tho
>>
>>2663475
Portuguese sounds like a racist Spaniard pretending to speak Russian.
>>
>>2663503
You're a racist
>>
>>2663475
Romanian is only 20% Latin and the rest are borrowed words from French. Fuck off gypsy.
>>
>>2663526
the whole structure is based on formal latin
meanwhile all other romance languages are based on vulgar latin
>>
>>2663379
>>2663383
>>2663401
>>2663475
>>2663526
On a side note how did a bunch of slavs end up speaking a Romance language?How did Romanian become a language? any evidence of dacian words ?
>>
>>2663539
Go pickpocket some people instead of telling lies on the internet: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Romanian_language

>Eastern Romance languages, like the other branches of Romance languages, descend from Vulgar Latin, adopted in Dacia by a process of Romanization during early centuries AD.

>Romanian has preserved a part of the Latin declension, but whereas Latin had six cases, from a morphological viewpoint, Romanian has only five: the nominative, accusative, genitive, dative, and marginally the vocative. Romanian nouns also preserve the neuter gender, although instead of functioning as a separate gender with its own forms in adjectives, the Romanian neuter became a mixture of masculine and feminine. The verb morphology of Romanian has shown the same move towards a compound perfect and future tense as the other Romance languages. Compared with the other Romance languages, during its evolution, Romanian simplified the original Latin tense system in extreme ways,[33][unreliable source?] in particular the absence of sequence of tenses.
>>
>>2663379
Is this picture trying to make English out to be romance?
>>
>>2663526
Romanian grammar is the closest you can get to the original Latin grammar.

Not sure about the French thing but Romanian does have a big chunk of Slavic loanwords.
>>2663548
Dacians got virtually exitnct and their territory got repopulated by stationed Roman legionaries.
>>
>>2663555
uh i read that on wikipedia too
guess i was wrong then
>>
File: separation from latin.jpg (33KB, 1043x254px) Image search: [Google]
separation from latin.jpg
33KB, 1043x254px
>>2663565
Sardinian is the closest language to Latin, gypsy. The one you speak comes from Vulgar Latin too. Fuck off.
>>
>>2663379
French is the oldest Romance language it's normal that it sounds archaic
>>
>>2663595
not archaic, in fact it's the one that evolved the most
>>
>>2663595
Old French was very different compared to modern French though. I'm not sure how did it change so much. Can Frenchies even understand this?

Buona pulcella fut eulalia.
Bel auret corps bellezour anima
Voldrent la veintre li deo Inimi.
Voldrent la faire diaule seruir
Elle no'nt eskoltet les mals conselliers.
Qu'elle deo raneiet chi maent sus en ciel.
Ne por or ned argent ne paramenz.
Por manatce regiel ne preiement.
Niule cose non la pouret omque pleier.
La polle sempre non amast lo deo menestier.
E por o fut presentede maximiien.
Chi rex eret a cels dis soure pagiens
Il li enortet dont lei nonque chielt.
Qued elle fuiet lo nom christiien.
Ell'ent adunet lo suon element.
Melz sostendreiet les empedementz
Qu'elle perdesse sa virginitet.
Por o's furet morte a grand honestet
Enz enl fou lo getterent com arde tost.
Elle colpes non auret, por o no's coist.
A czo no's voldret concreidre li rex pagiens.
Ad une spede li roveret tolir lo chieef.
La domnizelle celle kose non contredist.
Volt lo seule lazsier si ruovet Krist.
In figure de colomb volat a ciel.
Tuit oram que por nos degnet preier.
Qued avuisset de nos Christus mercit
Post la mort et a lui nos laist venir
Par souue clementia.
>>
>>2663605
French is far more closer to Latin than any other language, it is the purest Romance language actually while Italians is influenced by Ligurians, Lombards and Etruscans, and Spanish is influenced by Iberians and Goths, and Portuguese by Swabians.
>>
>>2663615
I can

Bonne pucelle fut Eulalie
Good Virgin was Eulalia
Beau était son corps et son âme
Beautiful was her soul and her body

and so on
>>
>implying English is a romance language
>>
>>2663623
0/10
>>
>>2663615
I'm french and i can understand every other line but it takes effort, and i still have no idea what the poem is all about
>>
>>2663623
>and Portuguese by Swabians.
wat
>>
File: Suebi.png (154KB, 286x743px) Image search: [Google]
Suebi.png
154KB, 286x743px
>>2663662
>>
File: 1491503577637.png (1B, 486x500px)
1491503577637.png
1B, 486x500px
>>2663558
>>
File: old french text.jpg (280KB, 391x1546px) Image search: [Google]
old french text.jpg
280KB, 391x1546px
>>2663631
>>2663660
Let's increase the difficulty.

This really doesn't look like French to me 2bh.
>>
>>2663696
this is latin
>>
>>2663696
If I didn't knew it was Old French I'd think it's Classical Latin.
>>
>>2663698
I took it from here: http://www.webpages.ttu.edu/joseppri/oldfrench/oldest.html
>>
>>2663696
First part is latin but French call still understand a bit

As for

For the love of God and for the Christian people and our common salvation,

here and now(note sure about this one),

when God / know and will be able to give me(note sure about this one)

If he save him / my brother Karl / and in danger(note sure about this one)

I'm not sure about the rest after that
>>
>>2663698
>>2663709
Most of it is Latin. Sections of it are Old French and Old High German
>>
>>2663698
>>2663709
The differentiation between old French and Latin isn't a clear line, this is different from the old French of the eleventh century for example
>>
>>2663698
>>2663710
>>2663709
The whole text is in Latin except for the last part
"Pro deo amur" and so on is in VERY OLD FRENCH

"In Godes minna" and so on is in VERY OLD GERMAN
>>
>>2663727
>>2663739
>it's Latin, it's not Old French!

Have you considered that Old French was closer to Latin?
>>
>>2663756
dude old french was significantly different than latin
and i know how to speak latin
>>
>>2663762
I'm checking some other texts and they look the same: http://www.webpages.ttu.edu/joseppri/oldfrench/saintleger.html
>>
>>2663684
The image would be even better if it claimed English was an Altaic language.
>>
>>2663780
probably because it's a historical account written by priests
>>
>>2663684
That's not how linguistics works
>>
>>2663379
French has been influenced by the gaulish pronounciation, and modern french is the french that used to be spoken in Paris, so it had less latin influence than the french spoken in southern France that was heavily latinised.

You can hear it in this video, the langues d'Oïl in the north (french is one of them) sound different from the langues d'Oc from the south : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubGjasm63Y0
>>
>>2663379
What about Portuguese?
I've watched some Yugo vids with subtitles, and tried CC out of curiosity and it auto generated Portuguese subs.
Why is it so similar to Serbo-Croatian, shouldn't Romanian be more like that, you know, because they border each other?
>>
>>2663558
>Implying it's not more latin than germanic
Face the facts, Nigel
>>
>>2663548
There may be some Slavic blood in them but The ancestors of the Romanians were Latinised Dacians. They fled for the hills after the chaos surrounding the great migrations which is why they retained the language (albeit with many Slavic influences, something that they worked on in a number of language reforms). I would say the survival of the Romance language in Eastern Europe relied on the fact that colonisation of higher elevated areas by the Slavs did not happen until later on and the fact that the Romanian highlanders were more numerous than, for example, the various plague-ravaged Illyrians or Danubians that were assimilated into the Slavic tribes that moved into the vacuum.
>>
>>2664567
The fuck are you on about?
>>
>>2664864
Only retards think lexicon is what makes a language be a part of a certain group.
>>
>>2663509
Brazilian is more pleasing to hear than Portuguese Brazilian.
>>
>>2664548
I don't notice much difference. They speak like fags too. Although this might be because they have a French and not Occitan accent.
>>
>>2664244
It does, when we're talking about creoles and pidgins at least.

The memery about the English language needs to end though.
>>
Romanian is the best Romance language.

fite me
>>
>>2664864
the structure is still germanic and a bunch of those latin words aren't even used by the average lad
>>
>>2665705
Romanians say 'da' instead of 'si' like Italians and Spaniards do which is closer to the Latin word for yes.
>>
File: 1427115047461.png (195KB, 500x481px) Image search: [Google]
1427115047461.png
195KB, 500x481px
>>2663578
>French and Italian have 89% lexical similarity, 14% more than Spanish
>French is distant as fuck from Latin

Someone explain this shit to me.
>>
>>2665831
It's not.
>>
>>2665800
>one word

Meanwhile Italian and Romanian share 87% vocabulary.
>>
>>2663475
>>2663503
Is this serious? I find Russian and other slavic languages awesome.
t. Brazillian
>>
File: Washington thinking.jpg (39KB, 457x262px) Image search: [Google]
Washington thinking.jpg
39KB, 457x262px
Is there any modern Romance language that could still in theory be considered a dialect of Vulgar or even Classical Latin, or is the divergence too great even in the most similar one? I mean something close enough where a sufficiently educated linguist might actually pause to consider it.
>>
>>2665786
>and a bunch of those latin words aren't even used by the average lad

The words originating directly from Latin (in red) are indeed rarely used, but those originating from French (in blue) still utimately originate from Latin and are very commonly used
>>
>>2665022
Fucking this, unless you really want to argue stuff like Japanese being a Sino-Tibetan language because 60% of the words in their dictionary of of Chinese origin.
>>
Italian sounds like my uncle trying to coax me into a "massage".

French sounds like they were too arrogant to speak proper Latin so they just pronounced the first syllable and mumbled the rest until it become silent. Then throw in a couple hon hon hon nasals and voilà: French.

Spanish sounds like a party, very flamboyant and quixotic.

Portuguese sounds like a little kid speaking Spanish as weirdly as possible just to be obnoxious.

Romanian sounds like some kind of Tolkien orc-speak language.

English apparently sounds like the jibberish that Sims speak.
>>
>>2666106
And what language do you speak?
>>
>>2666113
Amurrican English
>>
>>2665831
>>French and Italian have 89% lexical similarity, 14% more than Spanish
This isn't true.
>>
>>2666106
Portuguese sounds like an incest baby of Spanish and Slovenian.
>>
>>2666106

English is the greatest tongue on the Earth.

This is my firm belief.
>>
>>2665800
There is no Latin word for "yes". Romans simply didn't use that. What there does exist is a bunch of expressions used to represent consent or positivity. Instead of asking yes or no questions, they for instance could ask "is it true that..." and the reply would be "it is true/false that..." or something else like "what you said is true/false".
The modern Romance words for yes are basically two groups, the "hoc de il" and the "sic". The first evolved into "oui" and "oc" in french and occitan. "Hoc de il" means "this" or "what was said", so you can see how it fit into the question. Basically a shortening of the original expression. However modern french obviously don't use it with that intent, they just say that one word to express "yes".
The "sic" on the other hand evolved into "si" in italian and spanish and "sim" in portuguese. "Sic" means "thus" or "so" which is used in a different way to express the consent one gives when saying "yes". Again this form in the modern romance languages isn't used in the same original meaning.
>>
>>2665931
Sardinian probably.
>>
>>2666106
Americans are so dumb
>>
>>2666233

you're too modest, Humans are so dumb
>>
>>2665931
>>2666221
This. Sardinian even has hard "c".
>>
>>2663615
I'm French and understand most of it though it looks a lot more like Italian or Spanish to me
>>
>>2666106
>English apparently sounds like the jibberish that Sims speak.
That would be dutch
>>
>>2663696
Pour l'amour de Dieu et le peuple chrétien et notre salut commun, à partir de ce jour, que Dieu me donne le pouvoir de sauver, je sauverai mon frère Charles et l'aiderait en chaque chose etc..

No too hard to understand desu
>>
>>2666293
Simlish is just jumbled words pronounced by native speakers of English
Of course it sounds like English and vice versa.
Dutch sounds nothing like simlish. Too many velar, uvular and glottal consonants.
>>
>>2666414

I'll tell you what dutch sounds like! A man doing his level best to speak while holding back a rush of sick.
>>
>>2665573
>Portuguese Brazilian
Do you mean Brazilian Portuguese?
>>
>>2663615
It's readable you just don't understand it right away. Some parts take a couple of re-reads
>>
>>2666106

am I the only one who remembers the international hit of the early 2000s in Romanian? (perhaps it was not popular in the USA)
It was something like Numa Numa Hey

It didnt sound bad.
btw, it seems they were Moldovan, not Romanian.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9YbICd43Mc
>>
>>2666211
As usual the only informative post gets no replies.

On topic: European Portuguese is positively one of the ugliest and most awful sounding languages in all language groups let alone romance.
>>
>>2668425
>Praises good post
>Immediately let's out the most opinionated garbage yet seen
>>
And Romanian doesn't sound so bad at all. It sounds like Italian with Slavic and French borrow words. Their music is god-awful though, so anything sung to those tunes sounds equally bad.
>>
>>2668438
>It sounds like Italian

No.

t. Italian
>>
>>2663383
>romanian is closer to formal latin than italian actually
>but italian is closer to vulgar latin
neither of these statements is true.
the only way really that romanian is closer to "formal latin" is the fact that it still has cases, and even then they're noticeably different from latin. example: the nominative merged with the accusative, and the dative with the genitive. in addition, these cases aren't even distinguished on nouns without the definite article except for the feminine singular (at least it seems from research). the vocative is also super different from latin.

>italian is closer to vulgar latin
actually they're both pretty far devolved from vulgar latin. also you can't measure closeness to vulgar latin, since it could mean anything from just straight up informal latin from the classical period, to stuff like early variants of romance languages.
>>
>>2668456
It kinda does but not really. There's some overlap tho.

T. Gyppo
>>
>>2666106
Do any other ESLs here have an opinion on what English sounds like? I'm intrigued.
>>
>>2668425
I'm the one who wrote that post and I'm portuguese.
You are a pleb.
>>
File: image.jpg (27KB, 236x304px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
27KB, 236x304px
>>2663548
Romanians are the only non-slavisised population of the Balkans. After Trajans conquest and extermination of the Dacians it was resettled and colonized by the the Romans, mainly former soldiers. As a result the country gained its name, Romance language, and distinct populace.
>>
>>2663401
>t. gypsy making up bullshit
Romanians aren't Gypsies dumbass. Roma are Indians who migrated a thousand years ago, Romanians are native Europoors.
>>
>>2666106

Te one thing I really hate with french is the mumbling/swallowing the last syllables.

I don't speak taco but I don't hear anything wrong with Spanish the way Arabic sounds wrong or French does the aforementioned swallowing. Italian seems to be anti-french in emphasizing or giving a little tilt to the last syllable.
>>
>>2663379
>english
>latin
Taking a few words from the Normies doesn't change a language to a new family.
>>
>>2669674
The grammar is much more similar to Germanic languages. Language families are somewhat arbitrary taxons anyway, even "Anglic" is considered a family.
>>
>>2669567
> After Trajans conquest and extermination of the Dacians it was resettled and colonized by the the Romans

Jesus Christ what an absolute load of horseshit.

>extermination of the Dacians

This never happened. Ignoring the fact that no pre-modern people was capable of wiping out a people and culture to a man, Dacians still existed for centuries after the conquest. The entire area was settled by Slavs. The only difference between Romania and other parts of the Balkans is that in what had been Dacia Latin retained some level of privileged status so people did not change their language to Slavic as they did in other areas.

Fucking nationalists man.
>>
>>2669567
Albanians and Greeks aren't Slavs either and the Balkans end at the Danube you absolute twat.
>>
>>2664864
Half of that French is from Latin and half of that Latin is from Greek. What a moronic chart.
>>
>>2670041
He's a fucking moron and you are hot on his trail.
>>
>>2670033
>Language families are somewhat arbitrary taxons anyway,
Not ... really, dude. I mean, yes, in the sense that, for instance, it's an arbitrary call what counts as a subfamily or group of languages, and what's a single language with a range of dialects. But that's really just the same as saying "a language is a dialect with an army and a navy."

The fact that taxonomy is somewhat arbitrary has nothing to do with the fact that English is Germanic, though. And if, through some freak happenstance, English developed grammar exactly like a Romance language, it would remain a Germanic language.
>>
>>2663379
Romanian history major here, ask me anything.
>>
File: uhhu.png (126KB, 750x709px) Image search: [Google]
uhhu.png
126KB, 750x709px
>>2670041
not the op your responding to (complete trash)
>the fact that no pre-modern people was capable of wiping out a people and culture to a man
are you trolling?

>The entire area was settled by Slavs... people did not change their language to Slavic as they did in other areas

So what you're saying is you're historically illiterate... I thought people just like trolling Romos for being Slavic, I didn't think anyone was legitamately retarded enough to actually believe it.

Setting aside the Dacian continuity theories (which are more likely trash imo but who knows), every major immigrationist theory either focuses on local Romans south of the Danube or populations of unknown or mixed ethnicity from the north/ NW (typically these are in addition to southern Roman immigration ones, which is almost certainly true to a large extent). Though (way later) there is plenty of Slavic influence on language and culture, there is little actual ethnic Slavic mixing outside the bordering eastern regions.

Despite the obvious Slavic and French influences, grammaticaly Romanian is EASILY among the most well preserved vulgar latin languages.
>>
>>2670184
French influences are recent. 19th century intellectuals pulling Romania out of the Middle Ages towards modernity were overwhelmingly francophonic and people started emulating them.
>>
>>2670184
The migration theory is basically just a shitty Hungarian 19th centure ploy to justify their claims on Transylvania. There are no recorded documents or archaelogical proof for mass migration North, and why would people living in the relative safety of Byzantium/Bulgaria move towards steppenigger boulevard? Romanians are sheepherding latins that history forgot in the depths of the Carpathians for 1000 years.
>>
>>2670184
Except that genetics proved that we are are a steady ancient population, that at the same time, can claim more Slavic ancestry than Bulgarians and Serbs.

Also, while the 19th century intellectuals tried to get rid of the Slavic influence (15% now) by mass importing French words (38% of our present integral vocabulary), slavic words remained highly popular in the smaller, more ingrained in the rural language. Not to mention that due to urbanization, Slavic words declined in usage again, but as we all know, rurality is the basis of a kin.

ITT: fuck off Rosetti you piece of Latin cuck piece of shit.
>>
>portuguese
l m a o
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dr6fcJU_cYs
>>
>>2670608
Sounds like retarded French.
>>
>>2670055
You're the only moron here
The chart is about the language from which the words entered English, not about the very orginal origin
Otherwise it'd be "Proto-Indo-European" for 99% of the pie chart, cretin
>>
romanian is a made up language
>>
>>2670964
/his/ in purest form
>>
>>2670971
It's true though. They literally made that shit up in the 19th century. It was supposed to sound and look even more Slavic than it already is.
>>
>>2670979
Yup. Pure /his/.
>>
>>2670986
Read about it, faggot.
>>
Did latin rhyme like Italian? You know mamaaamiiiaa and such
>>
>>2670990
Sure thing lad.
>>
>>2670992
No, it sounded more neutral. Venetian sounds the closest to Latin in my opinion.
>>
File: lisa.jpg (130KB, 1128x1120px) Image search: [Google]
lisa.jpg
130KB, 1128x1120px
>>2670608
>be portuguese
>can understand some spanish better than açorean portuguese
>>
File: 1492203031166.png (494KB, 791x722px) Image search: [Google]
1492203031166.png
494KB, 791x722px
>>2663475
>>
>>2663503
And you sound as someone who doesnt know Russian or Portuguese
>>
>>2670410
It's literally the complete opposite. Latin words got replaced by foreign words, Slavic or otherwise, over the course of centuries and people in rural areas kept MORE original Latin words.

For example, the peasant word for "thought" in Romanian is "cuget" that comes from Latin "côgitare", while the modern, educated word is "gând" that comes from Hungarian "gond".
>>
File: 1492121257098 (1).gif (4MB, 250x220px) Image search: [Google]
1492121257098 (1).gif
4MB, 250x220px
>>2664567
>auto generated subs are credible in any way
>>
>>2666106
:^)
>>
>>2668425
>Having such shit taste
>>
>>2671125
Gond is also Slavic IIRC. The Hungarians adopted a huge chunk of their exicon from the Pannonian Slavs they conquered and mixed with. Mixed so much that they completely lost their genetic appearance and are the swarthiest mother fuckers in the area.
>>
>>2670608
>cherry picking this hard to talk shit about portuguese
>>2670767
Because azorean portuguese is retarded french
>>
>>2671147
Portuguese is a nice language and bretty ez to learn. But then again so are all Romanche languages.

T. Romanian
>>
>>2670767
That's because that's the accent of the Azores island of Sao Miguel. It's the single most particularly weird accent of the portuguese language, and supposedly arised from the fact that the island was originally colonized by french people working for the portuguese Kingdom.
It's one of the most interesting accents out there of any language imo.
>>
>>2671152
You mean Romance languages. Romanche is a whole nother thing.
>>
>>2671154
Never knew about this. Do they speak strange dialects in Cape Verde, Angola and Macao too?
>>
>>2671156
Shit yeah. We just call them Latin as a whole.
>>
>>2671001
same
>>
>>2671162
No, they speak in crioles for the most part in those regions. Angola did have a particular accent too that was described as being 'between modern portuguese and brazilian portuguese' but that was supposedly washed by new imigrants coming from Portugal.
Portugal always had a small population so that's why they had to come up with alternative strategies. For the most part they did the same as other powers but in some places, like Brazil, they mixed, and in others they hired foreign imigrators, like in the Azores.
>>
>>2671162
I know there is a Portuguese-based creole in Cape Verde.

But in school and government they all these African countries speak Portuguese.

I remember reading a newspaper from Macao. Each article was written twice, once in Portuguese and once in squibbly-diddlies.
>>
>>2671180
So there's virtually upwards 100% overlap between Mozambic, Angola, Brazil and the mainland itself with few exceptions? That's quite impressive.
>>
>>2671193
>overlap
I'm sorry, what do you mean by this?
>>
>>2671197
Meant that except for the random word, idiom, pronunciation or phrase everyone speaks the same tongue.
>>
>>2671209
Well yes. The same thing happened in the Spanish colonies.
>>
speaking of accents and pronunciation, how big was the Basque influence in Spanish pronunciation?
>>
>>2671741
Supposedly with the lisp. That's all I know.
>>
I'm italian and I studied both Latin and ancient Greek in high school and I also have a small knowledge of french. As italian I have to say that our moderndays language derived for about a 60% from latin, vulgar one of course (example: "equus" means "horse", but we say "cavallo", from "caballus", the vulgar term.). Greek is mainly present in scientific therminology and dialects mostly. Even dialects, depending on the region, take less or more from latin (fun fact: we actually use "is" as a pronoun where I'm from, but we pronounce it "iss", other regions use the "id" instead, like in Sicily where the pronoun is "iddu"). I don't know why you say french is weird, but for the little I studied I can say that some terms are very very close to english ("pollution", "developpement" are some examples) but I think is for the english being very close to german (?).
Also I'm no expert and I don't want to pass as such, I just want to share something about the latin influence in italian language.
>>
>>2671147
tbf i'm brazilian, I'm just amazed by how such a dialect came to be
>>
>>2672302
That accent influenced the southern accent immensely.
If you're from the south, you should visit the Azores someday.
>>
Tell me what do you think about Catalan, foreigners

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=617Vzm1zWWU
>>
>>2672560
Sounds a lot like Castillian in the accent, particularly how every "s" is read like "sh". But some words sound like Portuguese, French or Italian.
>>
>>2672566
>"s" is read like "sh"
>>
>>2672582
Did you listen to the same video as me? It's not like in English. Or those other languages I mentioned earlier.
>>
>>2672560
Sounds/looks a lot better than Sp*nish imo.
>>
>>2672585
I am a Catalan myself. I don't understand what you mean by "s" sounding like "sh". Those are separate sounds. I mean, maybe you are right and it does sound like "sh", but I don't think so. And I studied phonetics and our "s" is not different from the English "s", for example.
>>2672591
thx bruh
>>
>>2672608
Right in the first minute when the man says "la positio, todas [something something] corruptas". Those "s" don't sound like anything in English except a "j" or "sh" sound.
Unless you speak such poor English that you think that's how those sounds would work.
>>
>>2663385
how come I can read late latin then after 4 years of studying classical latin?
>>
>>2672628
he says, "la oposició, tots ens titllaran de corruptes"
you are partially right
this is the phonetics for the word "oposició": /u.pu.zi.ciˈo/
It's not an English "s" but not a "sh" either
Here, for comparison, the same word in Spanish, "oposición" (o.po.siˈθjon). As you can see, the phonetics are different. Spanish doesn't even have this sound for the letter "s". So I think you either just formed an uneducated opinion or you don't have much of a good ear.
>>
>>2672683
No, Spanish has the lisp, sure, but the "s" is still said like a hard "j" many times.
The standard latin "s" doesn't sound like that, not in italian, french, portuguese or english.
Therefore, Catalan sounds a lot like Spanish to me.
>>
>>2672696
>No, Spanish has the lisp, sure, but the "s" is still said like a hard "j" many times.
this only happens in Rioplatense Spanish, (Spoken in Argentina and Uruguay). Also, talking about the "Spanish Lisp" you just prove your ignorance. Castillian Spanish has different sounds for the letters "s" and "z"/"c", while in Latin America they all sound like "s".

Here you have the phonetics for the same word in French, "opposition" (ɔ.po.zi.sjɔ̃). As you can see, it's the same "z" sound as in Catalan. No offense, but I think you don't know what you are talking about.
>>
>>2670608
I'm Portuguese and I can understand Catalan better than Azorespeak.
I wonder what caused this shit accent...
>>
>>2672727
I'm Portuguese.
Spanish people speak typically with "j" instead of "s".
French people do the "s" right, just like we do.
You do the "j" just like the Castillians.

>>2672758
French imigration.
>>
>>2672761
>Spanish people speak typically with "j" instead of "s".
>You do the "j" just like the Castillians.
could you provide clear examples of the Spanish "j"?
>>
>>2672774
It was in the video.
I can show you more videos of Spanish speakers I guess.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TxfHe1dR0YI
>todoj loj sofrimientoj
In the first minute. Just like in your video.
To be honest, I've met Catalans from the countryside in real life and they did not have this accent.
>>
>>2663558
The vocabulary is mostly romance as the majority of the words have romance (vulgar latin and Norman/french) origins. Regarding the grammatical structure and the rest of the vocabulary, it's western germanic. It's a pretty interesting mixture as I guess there are some Celtic elements to found there as well.
>>
>>2663379
It's literally just lenition. In some dialects of Spanish, even, some voiced consonants are starting to disappear.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lenition
>>
>>2672727

no

Rioplatense people pronounce ll and Y as either the S in Measure or the SH in She.
And some aspirate the S, and end up saying Bohque instead of Bosque.
But it never happens when a word begins with S (no one says hexo for sexo) or hion instead of sion in words that end in sion/cion. It also doesnt happen in all of Argentina.
Comerse las eses, directly not pronouncing them, is more commong.
For example, saying Loh perro for Los perros.
Some people also do it in Spain, saying Ejpaña is stereotypical.
>>
>>2673594
You are totally right.

This is called the "ese castellana", it's when the "s" is pronounced apically forming a j or sh sound.

Other guy doesn't know what he's talking about.
>>
>>2672810
>todoj loj sofrimientoj

Fucking madrileños
>>
>>2663379
seeing how they change the spanish in latin america is absolutely disgusting. specially in argentina, i hate argentinian accent with all my heart
>>
>>2669543
Please respond
>>
>>2670608
It does look a bit like French
>>
>>2669543
>>2674767
what the fuck is an "ESL"
Thread posts: 164
Thread images: 14

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.