[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Was England considered a “colony” of France when it was conquered

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

File: normanking[1].jpg (23KB, 300x255px) Image search: [Google]
normanking[1].jpg
23KB, 300x255px
Was England considered a “colony” of France when it was conquered in 1066? How did it become it's own country again? I've never heard of an event that caused its succession from Normandy.
>>
In England William was a king and a subject to none, while in Normandy he was a duke and a vassal of a French king. He conquered England for himself while still legaly paying his obligations as a duke of Normandy to a king of France.

It's a bit weird to understand but that's feudalism for ya.
>>
>>2662665
England gained its independance in 2 events

Henry IV speaking english as his first language

And losing its territories on the continent in 1453.

From then on, it was distinctly separate from France.
>>
>inb4 Normans ain't french
>>
>>2663174
They're Vikings.
>>
>>2663179

WE
>>
>>2663174
>>2663179
>>2663183
please lets both stop
>>
>>2662665
>Was England considered a “colony” of France
>colony
>Europe
>1066
Spotted the American
>>
>>2663198
i never said europe, what are you chatting. also im from britbongistan
>>
The Conqueror claimed the crown of England, which makes them the sovereign ruler, not a vassal.
>>
>>2663306
As king of England, yes, as duke of Normandy, he was still officially the vassal of the king of France
>>
>>2662665
>I've never heard of an event that caused its succession from Normandy.

It's called the hundred years war you uneducated prick.
>>
File: Bayeux Tapestry.png (280KB, 1832x914px) Image search: [Google]
Bayeux Tapestry.png
280KB, 1832x914px
>>2662665
PIC INCOMING
>>
File: French Conquest of England.png (496KB, 944x5258px) Image search: [Google]
French Conquest of England.png
496KB, 944x5258px
>>2662665

ANGLO REVISIONISM BTFO
>>
>>2663642
>>2663646
so what
>>
>>2663677
You were conquered by French and not Norman as claimed
>>
Your second question is null and void since the answer to the first one was "no".
>>
>>2663313
>he was still officially the vassal of the king of France

The dukedom was. The Kingship wasn't. The two titles were separate and held different authorities and responsibilities.
>>
>>2663806

But if the King of England is a vassal to the King of France, doesn't that make England a colony of sorts?
>>
>>2663853
Not at all, but it still means that their king is, ultimately, French, a fact which every bong in existence will try to fiercely deny.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.